Remove this Banner Ad

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
That was 2013 and im not sure its apples to apples then and now

Both thugish acts - sure

The metrics of that have shifted considerably over the last 9 years...

Gaff and McCartin much closer acts to compare IMO

GO Catters
I disagree. In 2013 a punch to the head was frowned upon just as much as it is now.
And the penalties are no different either.
It was 2013 not the 70's.
If anything it's worse now. Because now everything is based on outcome.
In 2013 it wasn’t.

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
The sooner the AFL & associated leagues apply greater emphasis to the action than the outcome the better

Isn't a key idea behind the MRP & Tribunal to deter players from partaking in unwanted acts out on the football field, but what we are repeatedly seeing is that it's not the act being punished but the outcome of the act

An obvious example is the Burgoyne tackle against Dangerfield early last season, it was an obvious sling tackle & the sort of action the AFL talks about not wanting to see out on the field, but Burgoyne's punishment was a $1000 fine due to be deemed "low impact" as Dangerfield played out the game. We saw similar tackles occur later in the season where the tackler was suspended because the player being tackled ended up in a worse state than Dangerfield

So it's not so much the action which saw the player in trouble but the result of the action and that's where things become a raffle in terms of the punishment received by the MRO or tribunal

Maybe there should be some tweaking of the rules so that there is a standardised suspensions based on the action/s of an individual and then there's additional weeks based on the outcome

If the AFL doesn't want to see sling tackles then make it an automatic 2* week suspension based on the action, the outcome or impact then adds loading to the initial suspension

A punch to the jaw (especially one so far behind play) is a straight up 6* week suspension, with loading added for the severity/impact

A player electing to bump & making head high contact is 2* weeks, with loading added etc

Start actually punishing the action with a suspension, then add loading based on the impact

*arbitrary numbers

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The sooner the AFL & associated leagues apply greater emphasis to the action than the outcome the better

Isn't a key idea behind the MRP & Tribunal to deter players from partaking in unwanted acts out on the football field, but what we are repeatedly seeing is that it's not the act being punished but the outcome of the act

An obvious example is the Burgoyne tackle against Dangerfield early last season, it was an obvious sling tackle & the sort of action the AFL talks about not wanting to see out on the field, but Burgoyne's punishment was a $1000 fine due to be deemed "low impact" as Dangerfield played out the game. We saw similar tackles occur later in the season where the tackler was suspended because the player being tackled ended up in a worse state than Dangerfield

So it's not so much the action which saw the player in trouble but the result of the action and that's where things become a raffle in terms of the punishment received by the MRO or tribunal

Maybe there should be some tweaking of the rules so that there is a standardised suspensions based on the action/s of an individual and then there's additional weeks based on the outcome

If the AFL doesn't want to see sling tackles then make it an automatic 2* week suspension based on the action, the outcome or impact then adds loading to the initial suspension

A punch to the jaw (especially one so far behind play) is a straight up 6* week suspension, with loading added for the severity/impact

A player electing to bump & making head high contact is 2* weeks, with loading added etc

Start actually punishing the action with a suspension, then add loading based on the impact

*arbitrary numbers
I agree. The worst thing is that it's only fully gone this way over the past few years.
So its obviously a trend that'll keep getting stronger.
It wasn't that long ago the action was important too.
You used to get suspended for tripping once just because of the potential to cause a bad injury.
Could get suspended for a sling tackle even when the player didn't get concussed.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem is The Brownlow and betting.
Everyone whinged like an absolute motherf**ker when a brownlow chance got suspended for something soft.
Also when a player did something worthy of a suspension the week before a grand final it was a nightmare.
The outcome system greatly decreases the chances of PR problems and dramas with betting agencies.
It will not be getting changed.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem is The Brownlow and betting.
Everyone whinged like an absolute motherf**ker when a brownlow chance got suspended for something soft.
Also when a player did something worthy of a suspension the week before a grand final it was a nightmare.
The outcome system greatly decreases the chances of PR problems and dramas with betting agencies.
It will not be getting changed.
Yep, the AFL is ultimately more concerned about its own image than the safety of its players.

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 4 Team
BacksStefan OkunborAaron BlackJackson Thurlow
Half BacksNick StevensSam De KoningZach Guthrie
CentrelineJordan ClarkMax HolmesCharlie Constable
Half ForwardsBen JarvisEsava RatugoleaSam Simpson
ForwardsRhys StanleyJosh JenkinsJackson McLachlan
FollowersDarcy FortQuinton NarkleDarcy Lang
InterchangeJye ChalcraftLuke SmithLiam Herbert
James GowOliver TateTrent McMullan
Jordan JohnstonMarcus HerbertZach Walter
Benjamin WormeOscar BrownlessCameron Taheny

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
For those wanting to go tomorrow night - would have been nice to get this info earlier in the week

The game is a ticketed event and patrons wanting to attend will need to purchase tickets prior to the match.

Geelong Cats members receive complimentary access to the game but will still need to register for a ticket using the code: MARVFL. Members will be required to present their Geelong Membership pass with their ticket to enter the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CatsDoItBetter

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
For those wanting to go tomorrow night - would have been nice to get this info earlier in the week

The game is a ticketed event and patrons wanting to attend will need to purchase tickets prior to the match.

Geelong Cats members receive complimentary access to the game but will still need to register for a ticket using the code: MARVFL. Members will be required to present their Geelong Membership pass with their ticket to enter the ground.

Very strange after promoting the game earlier as costing $10. Although not a lot being included on membership would entice a lot more members to go. “Members will be required to bring their membership card”
We have no membership card!

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Very strange after promoting the game earlier as costing $10. Although not a lot being included on membership would entice a lot more members to go. “Members will be required to bring their membership card”
We have no membership card!
The club sent out an email yesterday regarding digital memberships - hopefully they'll be available tonight for those who require them

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The club sent out an email yesterday regarding digital memberships - hopefully they'll be available tonight for those who require them
Digital memberships :rolleyes:

I guess I should than the club and the afl for forcing me to upgrade my phone but its bit hard to put the digital membership with the other card I have in the draw.

I wonder if this is for good now.

Last edited:

dazbroncos

Max Rooke Appreciation Society
Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles and Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
Stanley

I guess I should than the club and the afl for forcing me to upgrade my phone but its bit hard to put the digital membership with the other card I have in the draw.

I requested the physical card.

just so they had to send it 1/2 round the world.

its a 4c piece of plastic ffs...

GO Catters

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Stanley

I think a lot of this has also come from the stadiums - I know from reading info for all of MCG, Marvel, AAMI Park & KP that all now require digital tickets for entry, and as a flow on from that, those events utilising the stadiums have had to follow those requirements

It's was interesting to see what other clubs did in regards to memberships as some still sent out the plastic cards but have advised members they'd be needing to redeem a digital ticket for entry this season, Richmond advised they were sending out barcodeless membership cards so that you could add it to your collection but it wouldn't gain you entry to a match, others have gone totally digital with no membership cards on offer at all (Eagles for one) and then Brisbane & North have done similar to us in that they are digital memberships but if you want a "souvenir card" you can request one (the souvenir cards won't gain members match access though)

And in terms of going forward, again reading info from the various clubs it does read that digital is going to be the primary option going forward

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I requested the physical card.

just so they had to send it 1/2 round the world.

its a 4c piece of plastic ffs...

GO Catters
This year has been ....different Daz. "Buying" tickets each game, and sitting in different spots. Thats not all bad ..its gives one a different look. Digital entry only has been a struggle for some. Educating for others. Organising tickets for others and passing it on to them... has been different.
So at least downloading the digital membership means its done for the season, and one is back to the seats that one is used to.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I think a lot of this has also come from the stadiums - I know from reading info for all of MCG, Marvel, AAMI Park & KP that all now require digital tickets for entry, and as a flow on from that, those events utilising the stadiums have had to follow those requirements

It's was interesting to see what other clubs did in regards to memberships as some still sent out the plastic cards but have advised members they'd be needing to redeem a digital ticket for entry this season, Richmond advised they were sending out barcodeless membership cards so that you could add it to your collection but it wouldn't gain you entry to a match, others have gone totally digital with no membership cards on offer at all (Eagles for one) and then Brisbane & North have done similar to us in that they are digital memberships but if you want a "souvenir card" you can request one (the souvenir cards won't gain members match access though)

And in terms of going forward, again reading info from the various clubs it does read that digital is going to be the primary option going forward
Did not even know we could do this

Remove this Banner Ad