2nds VFL ROUND 12 - Footscray Versus Sandringham

Remove this Banner Ad

My advice to our recruiters is to forget about chasing Lever and try to poach the best, classiest midfielder we can get. Why? Because we already have next year's CHB in Lewis Young. This kid is getting better with each game - he can mark, is mobile, knows when to punch, is a great kick and, at 18 years of age, is one of the best tall prospects I've seen in years. Just needs a few kilos to his upper body and then lookout.
Been on BigFooty since 2000. First time I've read such a post re a young kpp

Here is my take on the Footscray AFL players:
Collins: didn't do too much wrong, contested ok, was outmarked on a couple of occasions, not ready for promotion
M-M: was pretty quiet playing in the forward pocket for most of the game, took a nice mark and goaled. When moved into the ruck in the last 1/4, he competed very well with energy. Needs a year or two in the gym.
Lynch: bit like M-M, quiet for most of the game, not showing much confidence, then did some very nice runs off half back in last 1/4 and kicked a nice snapping goal. 3rd year on list so a decision must be made on him.
Dickson: roamed around half forward and kicked 3 goals in a typical display, not sure how his opponents went, but Sandy had a great deal of run off half back. Would I promote him? Not yet.
Williams: plays like a player who knows what he is doing, calm and effective, just occasionally makes the wrong decision, but I think it's time to give him another senior game.
Hamilton: 3rd year on list but I can't see him getting another, he does some smart things but not enough of them, kicking is good.
Webb: watched him carefully today, was given a rough/hard tag early and didn't like it, retaliated and got reported, then later in the game he was on the receiving end and the Sandy player got reported against him. Also gave away a silly 50 m penalty that gave shot on goal. Got better as the game progressed. Look, he has talent but there's just something not quite right with him at the present.
Lipinski: in and out, moved into midfield later in game and did ok there. Not promotable yet.
Prudden: good game from him, delivered the ball well and had an impact. What next I'm not sure.
Young: refer to my comments in a previous post. I'm impressed.
English: beaten in the ruck but took several marks around the ground. Gym for him too.
Cloke: big game from Trav, 3 goals, about 10 marks, competed well wherever he went. If his head in the right place he is back in the seniors for mine.

Big shoutout to Hayes, Jamieson, Greenwood and Nash (hard as nails) for their great contributions.

Collins: didn't do too much wrong, contested ok, was outmarked on a couple of occasions, not ready for promotion
M-M: was pretty quiet playing in the forward pocket for most of the game, took a nice mark and goaled. When moved into the ruck in the last 1/4, he competed very well with energy. Needs a year or two in the gym.
Lynch: bit like M-M, quiet for most of the game, not showing much confidence, then did some very nice runs off half back in last 1/4 and kicked a nice snapping goal. 3rd year on list so a decision must be made on him.
Dickson: roamed around half forward and kicked 3 goals in a typical display, not sure how his opponents went, but Sandy had a great deal of run off half back. Would I promote him? Not yet.
Williams: plays like a player who knows what he is doing, calm and effective, just occasionally makes the wrong decision, but I think it's time to give him another senior game.
Hamilton: 3rd year on list but I can't see him getting another, he does some smart things but not enough of them, kicking is good.
Webb: watched him carefully today, was given a rough/hard tag early and didn't like it, retaliated and got reported, then later in the game he was on the receiving end and the Sandy player got reported against him. Also gave away a silly 50 m penalty that gave shot on goal. Got better as the game progressed. Look, he has talent but there's just something not quite right with him at the present.
Lipinski: in and out, moved into midfield later in game and did ok there. Not promotable yet.
Prudden: good game from him, delivered the ball well and had an impact. What next I'm not sure.
English: beaten in the ruck but took several marks around the ground. Gym for him too.
Cloke: big game from Trav, 3 goals, about 10 marks, competed well wherever he went. If his head in the right place he is back in the seniors for mine.

Big shoutout to Hayes, Jamieson, Greenwood and Nash (hard as nails) for their great contributions.
I agree with most of that. Williams especially.

Agree with all of that. My additions to the above;

Dickson definitely didn't earn a recall for mine. Can only remember him laying one tackle and he cashed in in the last quarter when Sandy raised the white flag.

Lynch needs to go a bit harder if he wants to make it at the next level. There were a few 50/50 balls today that if he committed to the contest, would've won the footy then burnt the opposition but didn't look to want to take that on.

Young is still very young for a draftee only making the draft by a few days, as emergency last week he'd be a certainty this week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Similar situation to Bailey Williams, barely 18 when drafted and not really on the radar. Sturt were planning for Young to play SANFL this year, so Dal obviously has good contacts in SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good looking fella tbh. Would let him sleep with ScragCity's wife
YOUNG%20Lewis.png

Stood on the forward flank and in the 3rd Q realised that I was right next to Easton and Bevo.
Easton got a bit vocal a couple of times that Lewis Young did some good things. Saw Bevo at one of the breaks talking intensely one-on-one with Young. I reckon Young will debut against Carlton.
My wrap:
Young looked fantastic. Tall. Backed himself in, flew, competed, beat his opponent.
Webb was on fire, mentally and physically, was obviously being targeted by the opposition. We don't start giving him a regular run in the seniors we will lose him. He is a class above everyone at VFL level.
Timmmmeeeeeeee English looked like he was breaking even in the ball ups but won a lot around the ground. His decision making let him down once he had the ball. Would take a fantastic contested mark and then stuff the kick up and put it down the throat of the opp.
Cloke is all class. Just looks like a professional out there. Strong grabs, his field kicking is something to behold. One instance he took a mark 60 out spun, saw a forward deep and in one motion kicked it perfectly to space and drew his forward into it. Another instance one of our boys delivered him a s**t sandwich on the forward flank and he gathered the ball and spun onto his left and hit a pinpoint pass right to the hot spot 40 out - it was a bullet. We need him doing that in the seniors ASAP.
Bailey Williams, like Webb, seemed a class above. Has a really good level of aggression about him now and doesn't back down.
Keiron Collins, just defends, doesn't back himself in to take marks, all he wants to do is spoil. Spends to much time worrying about his hair, constantly bloody playing with it. He has all the tools to dominate the backline but didn't today.

Here is my take on a few players. I agree with the posters above, they are pretty accurate so I will be repeating much of what has already been posted.

13. Travis Cloke
Started in the forward line and did some ruck work later in the game. He competed well at full-forward although he didn't take a lot of marks he often brought the ball to ground where it was taken by one of our guys who scored. For example there was one occasion where he beat four opponents, brought the ball to ground and Dicko goaled. So he was involved in many score involvements. Sandy took a few marks close to Cloke but not many.

His first goal was a snap from 1 meter out after taking the ball from the top of the pack. Another goal was a gift shot to him when the Sandy guy ran too far with the ball in the back pocket.

Great game and very influential. Chance of promotion to seniors.

19. Lucas Webb
Webb was continually niggled by his opponent (Noone, I think), who put him off his game. Webb dropped him at CHF and was reported. Then it was Webb vs the umpires. The umpires won but Webb eventually settled down and completed some good play including one great intercept in the middle and a long drive forward. Also kicked a fine goal. We need someone with grunt. Come on Webby smash 'em one. But don't get reported. Chance of promotion to seniors.

26 Declan Hamilton
Had a good first quarter, unfortunately a running shot for goal directly in front hit the point post for OOB on the full. Hamilton was involved in many scoring shots, such as the pass that Lipinsky marked at the back of the pack. Lipinsky missed and only got a point. Got himself in the right spot to mark and kick a goal, but didn't make the distance from directly out in front with another shot. Somebody said he was slow. A reasonably good game from him.

27 Patrick Lipinsky
Just kept missing shots at goal. Kicked 3 behinds I think. Needs more games under his belt

28 Josh Prudden
Second game back from injury and greatly improved on last week. Played in the backline and also had a run as a midfielder. His kick-ins from Full back were good. He ran the ball out of the backline a few times. He came seemingly out of nowhere to kick a marvellous goal. Did a few nice things like a great spoil on the wing when it looked like Sandy were going to take it all the way. Gowers did a similar spoil later on. He needs to keep on improving, he probably can if injuries are kept at bay. Don't know what his ceiling is.

29 Tory Dickson
Back to his goal-kicking opportunistness. Kicked 3 goals 1 or 3-2. He showed some class from time-to-time. He missed one set shot that you would have expected him to get. Liked to lie on the boundary line a get his legs massaged. Chance of promotion to seniors.

32 Kieran Collins
Good steady game at full-back without starring. Has strung a few good games in a row now. Chance of promotion to seniors.

33 Lewis Young
Played at CHB. Was good in the air and on ground. Pick me, pick me!! Chance of promotion to seniors.

34 Bailey Williams
Another game where he looked very classy. His disposal can be off at times. Chance of promotion to seniors.

36 Brad Lynch
He played very well in on one occasion when in the centre he dodged and weaved and kicked accurately forward. Then later in the game had a lovely snap for goal. I mostly remember his game for letting the ball run between his legs twice and dropping easy receives. Not good.

40 Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
Often flew high for the ball. Would have been good if he could have held onto those marks. Needs more games

44 Tim English
Was influential with good ground play and ruck-work. Similar to last week his pin-point accurate short kicks were often picked off. He will have to work on this. He hustled and bustled and looks the goods. Chance of promotion to seniors.

45 Tristan Tweedie
Took a nice mark in front of goal about 35 meters out but missed for a score of 1 behind only. Don't know if there is any hope for him.

Others
54 Nick Jamieson
Might have been our best player. Reliable ball handler. Has his chance of an AFL career passed him by?

66 Anthony Bruhn
Wish he was only 18 as he has skills and cool head. A goal-kicker.

56 Will Hayes
Another good game.

Stood on the forward flank and in the 3rd Q realised that I was right next to Easton and Bevo.
Easton got a bit vocal a couple of times that Lewis Young did some good things. Saw Bevo at one of the breaks talking intensely one-on-one with Young. I reckon Young will debut against Carlton.
My wrap:
Young looked fantastic. Tall. Backed himself in, flew, competed, beat his opponent.
Webb was on fire, mentally and physically, was obviously being targeted by the opposition. We don't start giving him a regular run in the seniors we will lose him. He is a class above everyone at VFL level.
Timmmmeeeeeeee English looked like he was breaking even in the ball ups but won a lot around the ground. His decision making let him down once he had the ball. Would take a fantastic contested mark and then stuff the kick up and put it down the throat of the opp.
Cloke is all class. Just looks like a professional out there. Strong grabs, his field kicking is something to behold. One instance he took a mark 60 out spun, saw a forward deep and in one motion kicked it perfectly to space and drew his forward into it. Another instance one of our boys delivered him a s**t sandwich on the forward flank and he gathered the ball and spun onto his left and hit a pinpoint pass right to the hot spot 40 out - it was a bullet. We need him doing that in the seniors ASAP.
Bailey Williams, like Webb, seemed a class above. Has a really good level of aggression about him now and doesn't back down.
Keiron Collins, just defends, doesn't back himself in to take marks, all he wants to do is spoil. Spends to much time worrying about his hair, constantly bloody playing with it. He has all the tools to dominate the backline but didn't today.

Regarding Webb I have the feeling it's too late. There is some interest from other clubs.

With Webb being reported, a few people have mentioned it but haven't elaborated on what he's done & if it will mean he won't be available due to suspension. Please tell?

My advice to our recruiters is to forget about chasing Lever and try to poach the best, classiest midfielder we can get. Why? Because we already have next year's CHB in Lewis Young. This kid is getting better with each game - he can mark, is mobile, knows when to punch, is a great kick and, at 18 years of age, is one of the best tall prospects I've seen in years. Just needs a few kilos to his upper body and then lookout.
Your comments on Young reminds me of our last great talk position prospect who at 17 kicked 50 goals C Grant. One can only hope. I miss Granty how good would it be to have him in 1997 form in our side now.

Nice to read some of these comments after a couple of really tough weeks for our club.

Would love to see Young, Cloke and Williams all come in next week.

Although if Honeychurch gets picked again I think I'll cry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back