VFL VFL Round 6 v Southport - Saturday May 4th; 12:05pm @ Frankhauser Reserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Normally 2nd year blues is when AFL teams put more work into a kid so he struggles a bit more at AFL level.

Havent heard 2nd year blues at VFL level before, that's a worry.
Early days. Hopefully he has a better second half of the year. Clearly he has started slow and struggling a bit, for whatever reason.

Bytel - 27 disposals,5 tackles, 7 clearances
Macrae - 25 disposals, 4 tackles, 9 clearances
Glover - 20 disposals, 5 marks
Parker - 19 disposals, 4 marks
Lane - 19 disposals, 3 marks
Tomasiello - 17 disposals, 1 goal, 8 tackles, 3 clearances

Reef - 16 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals
Sparkes, 15 disposals, 10 tackles
Johnson - 15 disposals, 7 marks
Dean - 15 disposals, 3 marks
Richards - 14 disposals, 2 goals
Ed Allan - 14 disposals, 3 tackles
TJ - 11 disposals, 5 tackles
Farrant - 11 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackes

Macdonald - 10 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles
Begg - 10 disposals, 17 hitouts, 3 clearances, 4 tackles
Longmire - 8 disposals, 2 marks
Demattia - 6 disposals, 2 marks
Carmichael - 6 disposals, 4 tackles, 1 goal
Kreuger - 5 disposals, 1 goal, 2 tackles
Penny - 4 disposals, 2 tackles
Ashwin - 4 disposals
Thanks for this Jen, could you tell me why these numbers are so different to the afl website?

Allan and demattia are exactly why we are looking elsewhere to top up the list. Both are first rounders (technically) but there’s never any guarantees in the kids. And even if there are, outside of the top ones, they take time. We are in the window. Degoey, Moore etc are in their prime. We can’t wait for kids to develop, we need to make the most of the 27ish age group we have.

I really thought he was going to be a certainty to make an impact and debut sooner than later. That's a concern. I know he has had a delayed start but that's worrying.
He's fast. There was one point where he closed from nowhere to spoil a mark. We're targeting speed because the speed to apply pressure and get out the back on transition is winning AFL games.

A really good athlete with a work ethic and leadership skills isn't still on the board at pick 25 if he's already a good footballer. Our recent drafting is backing in our development to turn talented athletes into good footballers. Some will take a while. Some will be busts.

Normally 2nd year blues is when AFL teams put more work into a kid so he struggles a bit more at AFL level.

Havent heard 2nd year blues at VFL level before, that's a worry.
I couldn't see why people were talking him up last year. I think he had first year blues too.

He remains a Ferrari driven by a bloke on L plates with little to suggest that he's going to become a good driver. But you never know. Another two years of driver training and he might learn how to use the gear stick, steer and understand traffic.

Didn't see the game, how is Johnson looking down back?

Takes some big intercept grabs. But very so so outside of that.
A couple of nice things outside the grabs, but I really want a more rounded game from Johnson. I huge fan, I want this guy to tear a game apart some time. He needs to do more bread and butter stuff.

He's a masochistic lunatic. Just body your opponent and try to bring it to ground rather than kamikaze launches for impossible marks with your arms looking like your doing the YMCA.
Has always been his issue - he needs to be far more considered in how he approaches marking contests. I constantly fear friendly fire with his reckless and often unrealistic marking attempts.
If he can be more controlled and predictable to his team mates, then his aggression, size and ground ball game could make him an option while McStsy is out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh ffs.

Players that are year 2 and show no traits are not magically going to get them.

I hope they realise what they have by year 5!!!!!

HH in Year 2 showed traits.

Yeah, we gave Wil Kelly 5 years. I think we also gave Cory Gault 5 years.

The taller lads typically do take longer. We’ve given Allan a four year contract, so this one will need some patience.

Has always been his issue - he needs to be far more considered in how he approaches marking contests. I constantly fear friendly fire with his reckless and often unrealistic marking attempts.
If he can be more controlled and predictable to his team mates, then his aggression, size and ground ball game could make him an option while McStsy is out.
It's a real shame. If he could just keep his balance and use his size and strength in marking contests to bring it to ground rather than thinking he's Chris Tarrant, his pace agility and ground level game would make him a weapon that ramped up our forward pressure.

Yeah, we gave Wil Kelly 5 years. I think we also gave Cory Gault 5 years.

The taller lads typically do take longer. We’ve given Allan a four year contract, so this one will need some patience.
They take longer to be delisted. Do they take longer to become AFL standard if that's where they're heading?

The decline of Carmichael is alarming. Wtf?
It's the role change which makes it look like a decline. He's an inside mid with no awareness in traffic. If you put him back in the VFL midfield he'd get good numbers but he's not going to be AFL standard in that role.

Hoping he gets a run at some stage this season . He was a solid player at the Saints but he was injured a lot and Ross the Boss forgot he existed
It was prob was the first real game you could notice him. The others he was decent without standing out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back