2nds VFL v Sandy @ Trevor Barker Beach Oval sunday 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The last part is absolutely reasonable. The first part implies we shouldn't even question them.

There is also the corollary; anyone wishing to unconditionally praise every decision should feel free too. They can be questioned as well. When the depth of the list has been questioned this year, asking why the club should keep a player who has managed 4 games in 6 years is perfectly sensible.
You've questioned it and the answer is that he's really really good and the club thinks he's over his injuries.

Sometimes the answers are just so obvious that the questions really don't need to be asked.

You've questioned it and the answer is that he's really really good and the club thinks he's over his injuries.

Sometimes the answers are just so obvious that the questions really don't need to be asked.

The answer is "we hope, we pretend, we want to think he's really really good, and the club rate him, and I'm too lazy to think for myself and dare question them, so I'm running with that. Never mind his 'minor' hamstring strain this year saw him miss over half a season, we've received medical advice that both legs are still connected to his torso, therefore he's a star!"

The answer is "we hope, we pretend, we want to think he's really really good, and the club rate him, and I'm too lazy to think for myself and dare question them, so I'm running with that. Never mind his 'minor' hamstring strain this year saw him miss over half a season, we've received medical advice that both legs are still connected to his torso, therefore he's a star!"
I never realised you had a hotline to the coaches- you should tell us all the breaking news!

I did - I said Stokes was finished and that it wouldn't surprise me if Vardy was recalled. Two out of two.
Gold_star.gif

I assume it'll be one camera shot from very far away. Better than nothing I suppose but you'd think they'd have the resources to have decent footage.

Beggar not chooser.

I'll take whatever I can get.

Go Catters

I do have hope. I also know that expert medical opinions inform the list managers decisions. So there is some reason to support calls by list managers - unless I don't see the raw talent needed.

Where I see talent I will always lean to having that player retained. Occasionally I see so little in a player I will report that too - in a respectful way. No slagging. I have said a number of times this year that Lucey is so far off we should reconsider his position on the list [only to see him play his best quarter last week - and as a KPD]. I never saw Shroder as a real chance even after his medal winning VFL year and joined in discussion in a couple of those threads about "who won't make" it, to say so.

On Cowan I saw play in the NAB game very early on. I can't find the original post but referred to it later in this post :

I'll go in to bat for Bates, Cowan, Brown etc as well. I saw Brown, Vardy, and Cowan debut at Princes Park in the NAB cup. None of them are Spuds [as you say].
They all showed they had buckets full of talent that day.

I went home wondering how we could win a premiership and manage to recruit such a talented bunch at 18,42 and 55 or thereabouts.

Then the cards were dealt. Vardy chronic hip etc// Brown [after very good early VFL form] breaks leg / shoulder //Cowan after very good VFL form suffers chronic achilles problems.

Bates got a gig on our list (very envious)- obviously not a spud. Guess what - he has had chronic injury problems too!

These are real people probably much more disappointed with how things have gone / are going, than any supporter could be.

I'll leave it at that. Should Cowan remain fit to the end of this season and get a rookie spot or even main list spot I will be cheering him on!

I assume it'll be one camera shot from very far away. Better than nothing I suppose but you'd think they'd have the resources to have decent footage.
I would just like someone like KRock to bite the bullet and say they'll call every Cats' VFL game. They're unashamedly pro-Geelong. How hard can it be? And I reckon between all interested BF posters we could raise the money for KRock and the GFC in partnership to have the live call AND video come together EVERY WEEK!
Maybe even in conjunction with the media dept at Deakin Uni in Geelong- so the club and Krock help out the students learning the trade and get a bit of brotherhood happening in the community. Win-win-win.

I'll leave it at that. Should Cowan remain fit to the end of this season and get a rookie spot or even main list spot I will be cheering him on!

I think it's simply the cumulative effect of having so many players with long term injuries. If there wasn't Menzel or Vardy also there, or McCarthy who is already signed for next year, he might be some chance (and still may be depending on how many retire).

Take this with four shovel fulls of salt. I met a bloke at a pub in Geelong. Said he played with Cowan in juniors and he was a gun. Suggested he could be a pure midfielder. I remember thinking he was OK very early on but now I don't even know what position he plays.

He has three weeks to win my heart. I am a softy and want every player to have a fairy tale. Still waiting for Marcus Drum to get his body right. Good size :)

I saw Damian Cupido play juniors and he was (and still is) the best player that I have ever seen at that age and there are plenty of AFL players that agree that he had unbelievable ability (even at the elite level he was special in that regard). The problem is, at some stage, you've got to show it against the biggest and the best and stop relying on junior glories. In related news, Cupido got six years before he was out on his arse and he showed a hell of a lot more than Cowan.

I saw Damian Cupido play juniors and he was (and still is) the best player that I have ever seen at that age and there are plenty of AFL players that agree that he had unbelievable ability (even at the elite level he was special in that regard). The problem is, at some stage, you've got to show it against the biggest and the best and stop relying on junior glories. In related news, Cupido got six years before he was out on his arse and he showed a hell of a lot more than Cowan.

I'd also be amazed if there was a player on a senior list who wasn't a star junior. All 700 of them (or whatever the number is) would have been way better than their peers at that stage.

May well be done. Just theorising on why he's not playing in the twos.

Hadn't heard he's injured so don't see why he's not helping out the Bankers unless other factors are at play.

Surely having his experience out there would benefit our younger group coming through.

In terms of AFL listed players missing the VFL at this stage of the season, regardless of age, I think we can take it on face value. It's not like Stokes is making way for someone like Gore or Jansen to get a chance. If a player like Stokes or Blease doesn't play it means a VFL-listed player who, in all likelihood (an with all due respect) has no hope of ever being on an AFL list takes his spot.

VFL-listed players are gap fillers and the players on our AFL list should (and I'm sure do) always take precedence. Case in point: Jack Hollmer. With that in mind, Blease's status (especially considering his age) is cause for significant concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take this with four shovel fulls of salt. I met a bloke at a pub in Geelong. Said he played with Cowan in juniors and he was a gun. Suggested he could be a pure midfielder. I remember thinking he was OK very early on but now I don't even know what position he plays.

He has three weeks to win my heart. I am a softy and want every player to have a fairy tale. Still waiting for Marcus Drum to get his body right. Good size :)
He was a gun junior.... but he was also playing for Daylesford in the 2nd tier comp around Ballarat.... yes he made it to TAC cup etc etc but any body that does that is a gun in juniors for their club.

In terms of AFL listed players missing the VFL at this stage of the season, regardless of age, I think we can take it on face value. It's not like Stokes is making way for someone like Gore or Jansen to get a chance. If a player like Stokes or Blease doesn't play it means a VFL-listed player who, in all likelihood (an with all due respect) has no hope of ever being on an AFL list takes his spot.

VFL-listed players are gap fillers and the players on our AFL list should (and I'm sure do) always take precedence. Case in point: Jack Hollmer. With that in mind, Blease's status (especially considering his age) is cause for significant concern.

So, in your mind, is 'face value':

(a) Stoker is actually injured/sore and therefore not fit enough to play in the twos (but they inexplicably preferred to call him 'omitted' rather than 'injured')?
(b) Matty is so disappointed by his omission from the ones (and the likelihood that he won't make it back into the seniors this time around) that he is taking the weekend off on compassionate grounds?
(c) some other explanation entirely?

I would have thought he would be annoyed by (a) [if the club has not properly represented his injury status, instead preferring to leave the impression he was dropped] and I think supporters of the club could be rightly disappointed with (b) [he's still a contracted player at the club and, if fit, should be prepared to front up and play at whatever level the club deems appropriate for that week].

Or maybe you're suggesting (c)?

Anyway, I hope he's all good and ready to play again next weekend wherever the club needs him.

@GeelongVFL: And the starting siren sounds on a beautiful sunny day down here at Sandringham! We have the first entry #VFLZebrasCats #PJVFL

I shall be still posting the GeelongVFL tweets for those who can't watch the stream.

@GeelongVFL: Spencer White puts @sandyzebs on the board first. SAN 6 GEE 0, 2 mins in #VFLZebrasCats #PJVFL

@GeelongVFL: Patty McCartin takes a massive grab and easy goal. Luxford with the answering score to put us on the board! SAN 14 GEE 6, 8 mins in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back