Vic biased 'national' media

Remove this Banner Ad

You think they would of learnt by now that ex footballers don't always make good commentators ,Dermott Bereton, Mark Ricciuto, Nick Riewodlt, Luke Darcy, Brian Taylor, Daisy Pearce ( not being sexist, personally I think Isa Guha is hands down the best cricket commentator on the air at the moment) and a special mention to Kevin Bartlett, the absolute worst, thank god he's long gone, he was a regular for Port games when we were crap.
Then there's bias commentators like McGuire, it ain't looking good.

This thread is a perfect example. WCE fan wants us to band together when it suits them but where are West Coast when it comes to the prison bars (despite their own guernsey fight).

Most of those on the main board supporting our push are Eagles and Freo supporters with a smattering of support from fans of Melbourne based clubs.

I've only ever seen one Adelaide supporter who thinks we should be allowed to wear it.

On another note Im a jazz fan and have been watching the Utah/Memphis series lately as well as a bit of the Dallas/Clips (our next opponent is the winner of this)

You note immediately that you can select from two commentary teams on each broadcast, and they all have a great knowledge not just of their own team but of the opposition. They know the players, they know the tactics, they know the stories around the teams. Its like watching sport from another planet.
When I started to read this I really thought you were on a crazy divergent tangent ....

"On another note Im a jazz fan and have been watching some Nat King Cole videos ......" :oops:

I remain on the fence as to whether its bias or just laziness and incompetence.

The boys club has basically set up a hiring process where its a train of lazy moron after lazy moron in to media roles. These people arent always part of some agenda, they are just completely ignorant of the AFL, too lazy to go do research, and never held accountable by their similarly lazy stupid bosses.

Edit: Just to add an example here to explain what I'm saying. In the game against Collingwood Luke Darcy questioned why Port didn't have teal in our guernseys. The guernsey in question has been worn in away games for over three seasons. We've had highlights in it, we've been smashed in it, we've done photo ops in it. It's not Luke Darcy having some agenda, the man is simply an utter imbecile with no knowledge of the sport whatsoever. Any commentator in any sport with only 18 teams in it would have realised immediately that it was our standard away guernsey. Luke didn't because he knows nothing and pays no attention - he has a job because he can give blokey catchphrases and knows the right people.

Yep agree. I'm not suggesting some grand conspiracy theory. It is just there was a big league in Victoria and instead of creating a real AFL from scratch the Vics just expanded their league. Thus all the structures just continued on seamlessly. Of course it's easier for Vic media to comment mostly on Vic issues cos that's who they talk to each day and they then talk to others doing the same and the 'groupthink' is reinforced.

I find it amazing that there are such a huge number of Vic footy media meaning they're all desperate for scoops. So we can have the absolute manna from heaven like Collingwood's off and on field embarrassments but most of the time it is about being the first to breathlessly report that Player X from Richmond hasn't washed his jocks for a while, or that the wife of Player Z from Essendon had blonde tips put in.

Meanwhile nonVic footy issues of real significance - and I'm thinking beyond just unprofessional broadcasts - don't get a look in. More important are issues that affect what is already an unlevel playing field.

So, Matthew Pavlich travelled seven times further than Kade Simpson for almost the same number of games. Can anyone seriously suggest that had no effect on Pavlich and his team mates? Did it cost them points? Is travel (esp WA travel) ever seriously raised as an issue? (Actually it is but only when Vic teams go to Perth not when Perth teams go to Vic.) Why are there no media discussions about what could be done to reduce it?
For example, when a team plays interstate they play two teams in that city across a six day break. Travel halved. Or why do esp WA teams play in Tas meaning almost a full day of buses, airports and flights? Etc etc

There are solutions to reduce some of the bias but if the media don't acknowledge their bias and then discuss it then of course possible solutions will never be addressed.

Most of those on the main board supporting our push are Eagles and Freo supporters with a smattering of support from fans of Melbourne based clubs.

I've only ever seen one Adelaide supporter who thinks we should be allowed to wear it.

I've strayed onto your board to try to encourage some solidarity among the nonVics over an issue that affects all of us. As to the prison bars I think you'd find most supporters in Vic and outside Vic support the prison bar jumpers. But it's Vic media bias - aka Vic power - that allows Coll to carry on like they do and get away with it. A more truly national media would come at it from a neutral point of view.

our "media: *shakes head*" thread is a long running encyclopedia of the backwards *s of the AFL destroying aussie rules footy in this country. we still have plenty of fans subscribed to the advertiser and newsnow, but some people have come around.

i have always been of the opinion that all the interstate clubs should form some sort of lobby group or faction to tackle the biased at every level of footy, their job would be to slowly pull apart the Victorian structure by selecting small things to begin but always with the threat of a combined solidarity by the interstate clubs if they dont get their way, also to create a fund pool for such a group. The problem is interstate clubs are too easily bought by the victorian AFL and they dont realise that the interstate clubs do actually have the power over the vic clubs if they only knew how to do the leverage properly

Agree with everything but the reference to 'interstate' clubs. I assume you mean nonVic. Language is verrrrry important.

The AFL Commission runs the game to benefit Victoria and Victoria only and if you look at those on the commission it is mainly Melbourne business types. The AFL set up a fixture that pretty much for the first 2 months is a VFL full of their Melbourne blockbusters. They then take a couple winter months off where they play the interstaters give them some charity Friday night games when its 3C and complain they don't get a crowd. Then normally everyone in Melbourne can p.ss off to the snow or Bali and forget footy for a while. Then a couple weeks before the finals they crank it up again with Melbourne team v Melbourne team and run into September with hopefully as many Vic teams as possible.

I despise the Vic centric media who treat it as the VFL and some ring ins but most of all I can't stand these Victorian Charities that are dubiously set up to give legitimacy to another Vic v Vic stand alone blockbuster. The charity itself is well worthwhile but why isn't there a nationwide charity effort for Sydney v GWS can be a blockbuster game with proceeds going to syphilis research.

I ask this question have Port v Freo ever not played on Sunday afternoon at 4.30pm.

Rant temporarily over

As is the case with many major sports leagues around the world, the AFL are blatant star *ers when it comes to the teams, players, and venues with the biggest reputations in the media. It also sucks because even players which I use to like a few years back such as Cyril Rioli and recently Marcus Bontempelli are basically ruined by the media getting overhyped just for breathing, and as a result, umpires are lazy with making fair calls both on-field and in the tribunal against them. Since 2004 only Sydney and West Coast have won premierships from outside Victoria, with 3 other teams (Adelaide, Fremantle, and GWS) making it to the grand final itself. Ultimately however I find it hard to believe the AFL is directly and deliberately choosing the script for each season, they simply have ****ed up priorities and need to fix their incompetence.

As is the case with many major sports leagues around the world, the AFL are blatant star f***ers when it comes to the teams, players, and venues with the biggest reputations in the media. It also sucks because even players which I use to like a few years back such as Cyril Rioli and recently Marcus Bontempelli are basically ruined by the media getting overhyped just for breathing, and as a result, umpires are lazy with making fair calls both on-field and in the tribunal against them. Since 2004 only Sydney and West Coast have won premierships from outside Victoria, with 3 other teams (Adelaide, Fremantle, and GWS) making it to the grand final itself. Ultimately however I find it hard to believe the AFL is directly and deliberately choosing the script for each season, they simply have f’ed up priorities and need to fix their incompetence.
I've seen some very dodgy games and decisions that decided games over the years that I can't completely rule out utter corruption. You hope that the game that you love isn't corrupt but then I used to love cricket much more than footy.

I reckon its ok to use the term ... I use it all the time to refer to the Melbourne teams! :p

Sorry to be pedantic but 'interstate' means all teams from outside your state.

Besides you have provided an alternative to calling the Melbourne teams 'interstate' ... call them Melbourne teams!

Otherwise using the term simply reinforces the Vic-centricity of the comp.

On another note Im a jazz fan and have been watching the Utah/Memphis series lately as well as a bit of the Dallas/Clips (our next opponent is the winner of this)

You note immediately that you can select from two commentary teams on each broadcast, and they all have a great knowledge not just of their own team but of the opposition. They know the players, they know the tactics, they know the stories around the teams. Its like watching sport from another planet.
I have the same experience watching the Premier League/Champions League/Championship & other leagues each week. The commentators know the games, the players properly, the tactics, the situation of the league/club/players/manager relative to the game being played etc and more then you go back to watch any AFL game on tele, especially if it's Channel 7 doing the broadcast and it's a world away to the drop off in quality of the production. Channel 7 is just a boys club where a select group of morons talk absolute s**t, and ruin the game.

The classic example for this in this season is BT's commentary of Bolton's mark was that bad that they've dubbed Hudson's call of the mark from AFL Nation on the radio over it. It's ruining the product and nothing gets done about it cause BT, Ling, Darcy, McLachlan and more are all in that Victorian boys club so their jobs are safe.

Why in 2021 we can't come Finals time have the option of you like that dribble of commentator then fine watch it, but the rest of us can't choose the Fox Footy team for any final or the Grand Final like other sports do. It's been a massive issue for me for years now, so much so that unless we are playing I don't watch the Thursday/Friday or Saturday night games that 7 do cause it's utter rubbish that they push out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening to the triple mmm commentary for the Sydney and St kilda match yesterday and you could always tell which team was kicking for goal by the way the commentators were talking, when it was Sydney, they were talking almost monotone and joyless but when it was St kilda, they were loud and happy

The issue is a few things

Firstly,
SA Clubs - 2
NSW Clubs - 2
QLD Clubs - 2
WA Clubs - 2
TAS Clubs - 0
NT Clubs - 0
VIC Clubs - 10

Second,
AFL media is run out of, and mostly staffed by Victorian journos, Victorian commentators and Victorian ex footballers

and lastly,
AFL house is run out Victoria, and billed as "AFL House & AFL Victoria" with both "organisations" run out of the same premises
1623038032375.png

Unfortunately nothing will ever change until this competition is truely run as a national competiton with equal amount of clubs from all states, and the AFL not run as an extended VFL league.

Not in my lifetime

The issue is a few of things

Firstly,
SA Clubs - 2
NSW Clubs - 2
QLD Clubs - 2
WA Clubs - 2
TAS Clubs - 0
NT Clubs - 0
VIC Clubs - 10

Second,
AFL media is run out of, and mostly staffed by Victorian journos, Victorian commentators and Victorian ex footballers

and lastly,
AFL house is run out Victoria, and billed as "AFL House & AFL Victoria" with both "organisations" run out of the same premises
View attachment 1149177

Unfortunately nothing will ever change until this competition is truely run as a national competiton with equal amount of clubs from all states, and the AFL not run as an extended VFL league.

Not in my lifetime

AFL House should move to Canberra.

I was listening to the triple mmm commentary for the Sydney and St kilda match yesterday and you could always tell which team was kicking for goal by the way the commentators were talking, when it was Sydney, they were talking almost monotone and joyless but when it was St kilda, they were loud and happy
The same thing happened in our game vs collingwood

In the last when we were catching up, then hit the front and started pulling away you could hear the disappointment in the commentator voices, yet whenever collingwood kicked a goal their voices were excited and the octaves went up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back