Moved Thread Voss vs Selwood

Michael Voss or Joel Selwood?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood
Similar level players & both amazing captains, but Selwood did it for longer.
Neither were the stars of their teams, but both lifted their teams

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did you just say Voss is wasn’t a star of the team…..and at a similar level to Selwood, 2 just plain incorrect statements in one post. Not even it’s just an opinion fits this, sheesh.

Some shocking underrating and general hatred of selwood.

I do believe someone who is no1 all time for clearances in the AFL and no4 all time for contested possessions absolutely belongs in discussions of being as good as Voss.
Statistically Selwood probably shades Voss.

But most here remember Voss' sheer brilliance, the skill, the collisions, etc.

Selwood was a wonderful player, but he just lacked Voss' power and brilliance.

Selwood is just one of those players who people think is good just cause he’s been around a long time. He’s done f all to dominate the comp. Has anybody gone into a game being s**t scared of Selwood ‘turning it on’ no.

He’s just sort of ‘there’ and you just worry about how many frees he’ll get against you. About as intimidating as a wet noodle, a complete 180 to Voss.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Selwood's an outlier drawing free kicks for his career and until anyone gets remotely near him both in terms of frequency and longevity it seems meaningless to compare him to any other player. He was so elite in one statistical category of the game he's genuinely incomparable to anyone else. It corrupts any comparison (especially to Voss) because Selwood's entire career was basically a joint venture with both the rule makers and umpires.

What I think most here will recall “ the ones who aren’t filled with hatred” that he was one of the toughest AFL players to ever play the game. Tough as nails, contested footy beast who put his head over the footy and won contest after contest.

I would back selwood to beat Voss to a contest… I would back him to beat anyone because that’s all I have seen him do his entire career. there is a reason he was bandaged up so often. It wasn’t because of his shrugging tackle fend off technique that’s for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do believe someone who is no1 all time for clearances in the AFL and no4 all time for contested possessions absolutely belongs in discussions of being as good as Voss.
Misleading. Oliver smashes Selwood in both of these stats. If he remains injury free he'll pass selwoods stats with years to spare. Selwood wasn't even in the top 20 for average clearances. But I guess if you play long enough the totals stat can look good on paper. lol

What I think most here will recall “ the ones who aren’t filled with hatred” that he was one of the toughest AFL players to ever play the game. Tough as nails, contested footy beast who put his head over the footy and won contest after contest.

I would back selwood to beat Voss to a contest… I would back him to beat anyone because that’s all I have seen him do his entire career. there is a reason he was bandaged up so often. It wasn’t because of his shrugging tackle fend off technique that’s for sure.
only because he was the captain and media child. Was he more courageous than Mitch Robinson? Viney? Luke Parker? Voss? Hodge? Riccuito? and hundreds more?. All these guys go when it's their turn. Selwoods just the guy with the microphone in his hands and the afl media darling.

Misleading. Oliver smashes Selwood in both of these stats. If he remains injury free he'll pass selwoods stats with years to spare. Selwood wasn't even in the top 20 for average clearances. But I guess if you play long enough the totals stat can look good on paper. lol
Stats only matter when they suit, cos if you run the stats on these two it paints a different story, particularly in finals… someone will come up with a reason for it I’m sure

only because he was the captain and media child. Was he more courageous than Mitch Robinson? Viney? Luke Parker? Voss? Hodge? Riccuito? and hundreds more?. All these guys go when it's their turn. Selwoods just the guy with the microphone in his hands and the afl media darling.
The media liked to portray Selwood as tough due to him crying everytime he didn't get his way

Yeah you would believe it because your another ridiculously one eyed Geelong supporter. Geelong supporters have this thing that people just decided to hate Selwood for no reason- he earns that through his ducking and behaviour throughout his career.

The results are pretty damning. 25-9 and I'd say all 9 of the Geelong votes are from biased Geelong supporters. So it's basically 25-0.

Unfortunately for Joel, the way he chose to play for free kicks is how he'll be remembered by a lot of supporters. He was an elite leader, but so have many players like Luke Hodge who lead just as well, was just as hard, but probably a better player. Let's not do Joel a disservice and compare him to one of the goats in Michael Voss.

Stopped reading after this. No point

Yeah you would believe it because your another ridiculously one eyed Geelong supporter. Geelong supporters have this thing that people just decided to hate Selwood for no reason- he earns that through his ducking and behaviour throughout his career.
Yes yes, he loved to duck and cheat, even thought the rule committee came out year after year and said we approve of what he is doing, but call it whatever helps you.

Yes, he was tough, as was Voss. Imo, Voss' skill would triumph Selwood in a contest.

Voss was faster, more skilfull and could kick 65 metre goals with a drop punt.

Selwood physically wasn't capable of doing some of the brilliant acts Voss could.

Yes yes, he loved to duck and cheat, even thought the rule committee came out year after year and said we approve of what he is doing, but call it whatever helps you.
So why do so many oppo supporters hate him? Dont say it’s because he is good- people like Pendlebury, Fyfe, Petracca, Kennedy, Bont etc etc and they all they all much better players than Joel.

Back