State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Basil Hart is so over rated,hates being pressured , got talent but never trains hard !!! But so many people think he’s the next big thing…..
I would disagree there. Has really stepped up this year. In the past would avoid pressure and contact but starting to see a different side to him. He has a lot of upside and is still growing, only just starting to put on some muscle too.

Last edited:
This is the Swan Districts Colts votes leaderboard. The votes are a combination of bigfooty and coaches votes.

Swan Districts M V Ave G
Luke Cotellessa (SD) 2 20 10.00 -
Liam Hrarbar (SD) 1 5 5.00 -
Otis Harvey (SD) 5 24 4.80 2
Ned Reiger (SD) 3 11 3.67 1
Cody Ryan (SD) 4 13 3.25 2
Colby McDonald (SD) 5 15 3.00 8
Chayse Martinson (SD) 2 6 3.00 -
Jessie Hollins (SD) 5 13 2.60 7
Harrison Creighton (SD) 5 10 2.00 4
Elijah Huddlestone (SD) 4 8 2.00 -
Cody Morgani+ (SD) 2 4 2.00 -
Finn Taylor+ (SD) 4 7 1.75 -
Lucas Andrews (SD) 5 7 1.40 -
Harry Jones (SD) 5 7 1.40 -
Adam Sandrini (SD) 5 6 1.20 8
Leon Kickett (SD) 4 3 0.75 2
Zaid Buckland+ (SD) 2 1 0.50 -
Blake Bombadieri+ (SD) 4 1 0.25 -

Based on current form, Cotellessa and Pauline should have been straight into that State squad. More likely based on height and DOB.
Mate, I've had to accept that players that are 170-177cm are usually overlooked by recruiters.

I don't like that footy has moved in this direction but I know it to be true. The average height of an AFL player is above 190cm now. Less than 4% are in the 170-177cm range. That's a shame. The average height of an Australian male is around 180cm but footy doesn't reflect that anymore.

I remember a time when a player could be 170-200cm and have an equal chance. When footy was at it's peak.

I dread to think what the average height will be in 10 years. I'm betting there will be some 200cm mids.

Pound for pound (as they used to say) Bailey.Banfield (CL) and Declan Pauline (EF) are the two most inform mids in the competition but I have to factor in what recruiters are thinking to a degree. That's why the votes are listed. Gives a different view on things to plain old rankings.

Having said that, what's wrong with being a WAFL league star. Well, I went into that in some depth previously. As I mentioned if I had sons or daughters I'd almost prefer that they live a normal WAFL lifestyle. It's a great comp. Legendary in fact. I would loved to have played 1 WAFL league game, let alone a grand final in front of a big crowd.

Mate, I've had to accept that players that are 170-177cm are usually overlooked by recruiters.

I don't like that footy has moved in this direction but I know it to be true. The average height of an AFL player is above 190cm now. Less than 4% are in the 170-177cm range. That's a shame. The average height of an Australian male is around 180cm but footy doesn't reflect that anymore.

I remember a time when a player could be 170-200cm and have an equal chance. When footy was at it's peak.

I dread to think what the average height will be in 10 years. I'm betting there will be some 200cm mids.
Not sure about Pauline’s height but Cotellessa is 184cm and 80+kg not small by any stretch

Not sure about Pauline’s height but Cotellessa is 184cm and 80+kg not small by any stretch
Certainly not too small. He should be in the WA squad based on any criteria. He's not too small and he's not vanilla (I hate that modern term). In fact he's got x-factor and a great ability to extract the ball from congestion and find time and space.

To me it's a head scratcher but I'm sounding like a broken record.

Maybe they didn't add anybody to the squad apart from Tom.Bell?

The WA State Academy 18's v WA state 21's will be streamed here. It's an important match. https://streamer.com.au/match/3283

People here are endevouring to find out who will play on both teams, who has been added to the WA state 18's and who is unavailable due to injury. As soon as we know we'll add that info with guernsey numbers.

10.30am WA time/12.30Pm Vic time, Fremantle Oval (our smallest ground - just getting the boys ready for Thebarton)

Looks like Trent cooper is coaching the all stars. Found this today. Chatting with both coaches about this Saturdays game.

Based on current form, Cotellessa and Pauline should have been straight into that State squad. More likely based on height and DOB.
As mentioned before there are normally good reasons why players aren't included in these squads when perhaps we keen footy watchers think they should be. More often than not there is quite simply no interest from recruiters, that being said it doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to contribute for WA in the National carnival. I am probably not as bullish on Cotellessa as perhaps others are however what I would say is that it is going to be extremely hard getting drafted as a pure midfielder in this years draft. The amount of high calibre midfield talent coming out of Victoria this year is going to make it very tough. There are only so many midfielders that can get drafted.

Unfortunately for Pauline I do think size could be an issue. At only 175cm you are going to need to be extraordinary.

Last edited:
The WA State Academy 18's v WA state 21's will be streamed here. It's an important match. https://streamer.com.au/match/3283

People here are endevouring to find out who will play on both teams, who has been added to the WA state 18's and who is unavailable due to injury. As soon as we know we'll add that info with guernsey numbers.

10.30am WA time/12.30Pm Vic time, Fremantle Oval (our smallest ground - just getting the boys ready for Thebarton)
Wonder which players will be selected for the U/21's - from EF Cleaver, Hagan, Zadow, Cripps and Sanchez might get a look in, especially the first 2. From SF, Ferreria and O'Hehir have done well in the league. No doubt plenty more in the mix, be interested to see what others think may be considered.

Wonder which players will be selected for the U/21's - from EF Cleaver, Hagan, Zadow, Cripps and Sanchez might get a look in, especially the first 2. From SF, Ferreria and O'Hehir have done well in the league. No doubt plenty more in the mix, be interested to see what others think may be considered.
I'm wondering about Bailey.Banfield (CL). I think he is the best player in the colts comp. But technically they could pick him in both squads.

If they picked him in the state 18's I know he would get the pill 20-25 times and bring others into the game and prevent WA from getting mauled.

His kicking has improved out of sight .... check his 50 metre goals on the weekend.....effortless bombs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm wondering about Bailey.Banfield (CL). I think he is the best player in the colts comp. But technically they could pick him in both squads.

If they picked him in the state 18's I know he would get the pill 20-25 times and bring others into the game and prevent WA from getting mauled.

His kicking has improved out of sight .... check his 50 metre goals on the weekend.....effortless bombs.
My understanding is that in order for a 19 year old to be picked in the state 18's the state academy has to apply to the AFL and the player must meet certain criteria. Some examples of this would be a developing tall, the player sustained a long term injury during their 18's year or he has not been part of the pathway due to playing another sport etc. Don't think Banfield would meet any criteria to be selected.

My understanding is that in order for a 19 year old to be picked in the state 18's the state academy has to apply to the AFL and the player must meet certain criteria. Some examples of this would be a developing tall, the player sustained a long term injury during their 18's year or he has not been part of the pathway due to playing another sport etc. Don't think Banfield would meet any criteria to be selected.
You could be right about that. In fact I'm sure you are.

Although last year Fonti and Hansen jnr made the squad. So there must be some exceptions to the rule I guess.

Last edited:
Let’s hope Will York gets as big as Bo Allan and Blake Kelly should turn out pretty good

Really like Will York also. Ball use needs to improve dramatically though.

What’s your thoughts on Matthew Becker down at peel? Played a great state carnival in the 16’s but has started slightly slow, in a few different positions this year.

Last edited:
Really like Will York also. Ball use needs to improve dramatically though.

What’s your thoughts on Matthew Becker down at peel? Played a great state carnival in the 16’s but has started slightly slow, in a few different positions this year.
Developing nicely cool under pressure can’t wait for his draft year ! Should be a good size by then …

A brand new noobermensch WA player in focus video and this time it's prolific Claremont over age mid Bailey.Banfield.

He may or may not qualify to represent WA at the national 18's championships. It's open to interpretation and an AFL ruling. WA need some geuine high possession ball winners to bring more fashionable draft fancies into the contest and to enable them to be competitive in all games. Importantly, not only is Banfield prolific but his kicking has improved out of sight. He's tough, competitive and hard to bring to ground.....he's almost Vic style in fact.

You can catch all the noobermensch Footy Stuff player in focus videos on his youtube channel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back