Local WA Womens Competition - General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

McGuire has done her dash I think, just cannot get fit enough or mobile enough, but has talent.
I think Pisconeri is a good state league player, but not up to AFLW standard as a ruck. Not mobile, and not tall enough to compensate. Either needed to be more athletic, or 3 inches taller.
Bartlett I feel sorry for, is a good player of a type not seen much in AFLW, but never got a look in. I think she is ambitious though, and may be back.
Bonser is good enough I think.

Personally I would be looking at Bonser and Bartlett again, depending on WAFLW form.

Any relation to the Stephen Bilcich premiership player for East Fremantle in the 90’s?

If so, can she go daughter-father for the Dockers?
The Bilcich family is a pretty well known footy family in Bunbury, and she is from that family, but not sure if she is a daughter or a neice of Stephen.
However, given she plays for South Bunbury, and Stephen is currently the Souths men's head coach. Chances are good.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Bilcich family is a pretty well known footy family in Bunbury, and she is from that family, but not sure if she is a daughter or a neice of Stephen.
However, given she plays for South Bunbury, and Stephen is currently the Souths men's head coach. Chances are good.

Do you think she could play AFLW?

Do you think she could play AFLW?
She was a pretty stand out player in the SWFL. I am pretty sure she would be a decent WAFLW player, but we have seen, there is a bit of a jump to the AFLW standard from there.
She did get named in Peels best in her first game, so, we will see.

Footy Radio video stream of the Souths/Easts WAFLW game has had 17K views.

Note, interpret this with caution as a view doesn't mean someone sat there and watched it.

Perth Football League.
2020 Womens Comps commenced on July 4.
A Grade - 8 teams
B Grade - 8 teams
C1 6 teams
C2 6 teams
C3 6 teams
Integrated - 10 teams
Do not know if any growth this season.

More Womens news for 2020.
The Optus WAFLW draw has been finalised for 2020, with Round 1 to kick off on the weekend of July 18/19 featuring the inaugural Fremantle Derby at Fremantle Community Bank Oval.
The competition’s second season will see six teams take part, with the addition of South Fremantle for the 2020 season.
Each team will play each other once, before an additional two games are played to make seven rounds total.

A three-week finals series will follow culminating in the Optus WAFLW Grand Final on Sunday September 20.
Dates and times of fixtures will be finalised in the coming days. For up to date information please visit www.wafl.com.au
Perth Football league season is underway, but C1, C2 and C3 all have 7 teams, not 6.
Last season was just A, B and C grades, totalling 25 teams.

So, 25 has grown to 37 teams in 1 season, or just under 50% growth.

Perth Football league season is underway, but C1, C2 and C3 all have 7 teams, not 6.

Thats a big increase - So it looks like the various under age comps around the place are still recruiting/attracting players new and old to the game.
Where I live in Perth have noticed many more Girls/Women running in the streets this year. Maybe a connection sort of plus likely other sports also involved.

well i guess it makes up for a slowing of the colts numbers which have been going backwards for a number of years even putting up the colts ages and men's teams which have shrunk but by not as much

its still very healthy, so not trying to be negative just honest

Huge mark from a little player.

Shanae Davison, an 18 year old from Swans, who I believe got into the WAFLW from juniors/amateurs. Didn't feature in any of the state league youth girls programs (I think), but popped up after starring in community footy. An example of what the expansion of community womans footy can bring to the standard of womens footy in the state. Would have to be a roughy for drafting.

Huge mark from a little player.

Shanae Davison, an 18 year old from Swans, who I believe got into the WAFLW from juniors/amateurs. Didn't feature in any of the state league youth girls programs (I think), but popped up after starring in community footy. An example of what the expansion of community womans footy can bring to the standard of womens footy in the state. Would have to be a roughy for drafting.

Awesome mark. Arguably better then a lot of what got nominated for Mark of the Week at AFLW level. What are her chances of being drafted?

Awesome mark. Arguably better then a lot of what got nominated for Mark of the Week at AFLW level. What are her chances of being drafted?
Tough, given it's a 2 team state, there maybe only 10-12 taken in the draft.

If they look at half from the ranks the 18s, she could be competing for only 5 or 6 spots.

Claremont had 3 17 year olds in this game, Swans had a whole bunch under 20. There was a 180cm 17 year old key forward that looked good playing this game. So there is a ridiculous amount of youth coming through.

However, Eagles don't really have someone playing the Duffy or Georgia Gee roll.

She is quick, attacks the contest, skilled, can obviously take a mark, and can kick a goal. So I hope they look at her. Selwood was at the game too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough, given it's a 2 team state, there maybe only 10-12 taken in the draft.

If they look at half from the ranks the 18s, she could be competing for only 5 or 6 spots.

Claremont had 3 17 year olds in this game, Swans had a whole bunch under 20. There was a 180cm 17 year old key forward that looked good playing this game. So there is a ridiculous amount of youth coming through.

However, Eagles don't really have someone playing the Duffy or Georgia Gee roll.

She is quick, attacks the contest, skilled, can obviously take a mark, and can kick a goal. So I hope they look at her. Selwood was at the game too.

I've been following Davison on the Youtube games for a year, I think she's a gun. Barely been playing two years, formerly basketball, massive upside -- she wouldn't give the Eagles much now because she's so new, but for raw talent I think she's better than Mikayla Bowen, certainly got more hops. Long term investment maybe, but the WA team that lets the other grab her will kick themselves later.

I liked the big Amy Franklin too, built like Tayla Harris and moves great, but won't be draft age until next year. There's not too much available this year really, though I liked the Hyde twins in that game, have been concerned they're not athletic enough, but they're looking faster and stronger as they grow. Sarah Verrier's good but not as good as Davison, Abbie Dowrick's been missing and presumably injured, was great at U16s but dunno where she's at now... who else is there? If it stays a relatively weak draft this year, Davison gets in easy. Eagles tried picking mature-age WAFLW recruits last year, didn't work out so well. I think best to accept they're going to suck for the next few years, stack up on kids, stop trying to take non-existent short cuts.

I liked the big Amy Franklin too, built like Tayla Harris and moves great, but won't be draft age until next year.
I know Amy, she’s a great kid. Struggled Rnd 1 at WAFLW level but was better Rnd 2

With the next game v the scoreless after two round south’s this week, she may had a good day out.

Has a great penetrating kick on her.

I've been following Davison on the Youtube games for a year, I think she's a gun. Barely been playing two years, formerly basketball, massive upside -- she wouldn't give the Eagles much now because she's so new, but for raw talent I think she's better than Mikayla Bowen, certainly got more hops. Long term investment maybe, but the WA team that lets the other grab her will kick themselves later.

I liked the big Amy Franklin too, built like Tayla Harris and moves great, but won't be draft age until next year. There's not too much available this year really, though I liked the Hyde twins in that game, have been concerned they're not athletic enough, but they're looking faster and stronger as they grow. Sarah Verrier's good but not as good as Davison, Abbie Dowrick's been missing and presumably injured, was great at U16s but dunno where she's at now... who else is there? If it stays a relatively weak draft this year, Davison gets in easy. Eagles tried picking mature-age WAFLW recruits last year, didn't work out so well. I think best to accept they're going to suck for the next few years, stack up on kids, stop trying to take non-existent short cuts.
She is back playing senior's.

Dowrick that is.

Will be interesting to see her this weekend, if she's playing.

The other star in that Swans game was Tara Stribley, 16 years old, easily the fastest player on the ground, one handed pickups, just needs to put some muscle on. But she's not eligible until 2022. Speaking of, looking forward to get a look at Courtney Rowley sometime this season.

Shenae has been in the state academy for a few years now. Made the aust academy and went to the Darwin camp. She is not a new comer to the game and big chance of getting drafted.

I think Abbey Dowrick may have put herself at the top of the WA draft on Saturday. 3 goals, could have kicked two more, physically she's a beast even compared to a lot of mature age women but she's still just 17. She was tossing people around like rag dolls, has not only a huge kick but a big handball, which is important in the women's game for clearing congestion and not enough have at present. AFLW teams are looking for players with that extra physical edge, and uniting the Dowrick sisters would work for the Eagles too, obviously.

Also thought Charlie Thomas and Olivia Cripps are two to keep an eye on for the future, serious talent.

I think Abbey Dowrick may have put herself at the top of the WA draft on Saturday. 3 goals, could have kicked two more, physically she's a beast even compared to a lot of mature age women but she's still just 17. She was tossing people around like rag dolls, has not only a huge kick but a big handball, which is important in the women's game for clearing congestion and not enough have at present. AFLW teams are looking for players with that extra physical edge, and uniting the Dowrick sisters would work for the Eagles too, obviously.

Also thought Charlie Thomas and Olivia Cripps are two to keep an eye on for the future, serious talent.
She rag dolled one of the stronger Swans defenders on Sat.

Take note of this name
Ella Roberts - 16 years old and made her debut with Peel League on the weekend. She is going to be a star. Was in the schoolgirls u15 last year- made All Australian. X Factor, silky smooth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back