Warner and where is he amongst great openers

Remove this Banner Ad

Flat track bully confirmed.
I do find it quite funny that he's gotten himself out doing something dumb on a flat track and people are using this as evidence to call him a flat track bully...
His record away could do with some work. I really thought he could have a good series in India this time. I think his problem is not so much that he needs the pitch to be flat as it needs to come onto the bat.

I do find it quite funny that he's gotten himself out doing something dumb on a flat track and people are using this as evidence to call him a flat track bully...
His record away could do with some work. I really thought he could have a good series in India this time. I think his problem is not so much that he needs the pitch to be flat as it needs to come onto the bat.
TBH Warner's reputation would be vastly superior if only Slats would stop sucking his dick every time on TV.

yep true

For me Haydn sits in a similar camp by not having to face Australia's bowling attack; and

even Bradman wasn't as good as the stats suggest as he had it easy with 8 ball overs, no time limits to wear down bowlers and faced up against other amateurs. We have to remember the games was weakened by the fact men had to provide for their families, in the times of the depression or post war, rather than play cricket.

All that guys like Warner can do, like Haydn and Bradman, is make the most of the opportunities and challenges that present.

PS I am not comparing Warner to Bradman, just highlighting the context and making the most of the times

You do realize that if it was so much easier for bradman other batsmen would have averaged higher than they do now? They didn't, maybe a couple around 60 but 0 anywhere near 100.

Whichever way you slice it, the don was a freak.

do you guys realise he is the self appointed Vice Captain of the Team ,and should (but he wont) show leadership to the others
sick of seeing him, sitting outside at the grounds, getting plenty of photo and "brand appeal"
Flat track bully , who is being shielded by Renshaw ,who now faces the first ball in each innings
(saving us from Davy imposing himself on the oppositions opening bowlers, and getting out)

He's just thick as a brick really.

do you guys realise he is the self appointed Vice Captain of the Team ,and should (but he wont) show leadership to the others
sick of seeing him, sitting outside at the grounds, getting plenty of photo and "brand appeal"
Flat track bully , who is being shielded by Renshaw ,who now faces the first ball in each innings
(saving us from Davy imposing himself on the oppositions opening bowlers, and getting out)

If that's true though, it's a bit embarrassing that someone so inexperienced is doing it so Davy can see what the wicket is doing.

Don't know about this case but there are openers who pretty much demand to face the first ball. Justin Langer was one, from memory. (I did, too.)

Not quite true, his record in South Africa is pretty good. If there is no pace in the pitch, he struggles. Apart from that one short series in the UAE.

South African conditions are similar to Australian conditions, is it any wonder SA are so hard to beat in Australia?

If that's true though, it's a bit embarrassing that someone so inexperienced is doing it so Davy can see what the wicket is doing.
Iirc Warner never faces the first ball for some reason. I think it's always been like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But this is Ranchi and even though Warner has this reputation as a destroyer of worlds, those worlds are only destroyed when they tour Australia. Warner's away record has always been bad, but as he picks up hundreds in Australia like ordinary people grab a loaf of bread, his away record looks even more horrible.

He might make hundreds in a session at home but overseas, he barely makes them in any amount of time. It's easy to say he has a problem with R Ashwin, but his problem of a poor record outside Australia seems more pressing.

Warner's one grand tour was South Africa in 2013-14, where the conditions are most Australia-like. It was there that he made three of his four hundreds away from Australia. But, in the first Test, where he made 115 in the second innings, he was dropped three times. In the second Test, he was dropped during his half-centuries in both innings. By the end of the tour, Warner was the runaway bus of destruction but he may not have felt that freedom had South Africa not gifted him so many chances early in the series. Warner's only other overseas hundred was in Dubai.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2016-17/content/story/1087041.html

Savage

I wonder whether we'd see something like that published about Pujara/Jayawardene who have similar discrepancies between their home and away records.

I doubt that there would need to be because neither player is ever fawned over the way Warner is.

Pretty much any time Jayawardene is mentioned in any capacity it comes with an asterisk.

Really? I don't particularly rate the part where he discredits 2 of Warner's centuries on the basis that he was dropped during previous innings.

When a player has literally less than a handful of knocks to prop up the 'he can bat away from home' argument, and instantly a few of them can be augmented by a factual statement explaining that in any of them, he could have been dismissed cheaply, I find it hard to source an argument that he is suddenly an overseas menace.

Really? I don't particularly rate the part where he discredits 2 of Warner's centuries on the basis that he was dropped during previous innings.

It probably didn't need to be mentioned as he'd already pretty much discredited them. He's hit a few overseas hundreds but aside from one they were all on decks similar to home conditions so the point still stands. I believe we're going to Bangladesh this year, if Warner fails there it really starts to look questionable given they've axed Khawaja on the basis of two poor Tests. After that I assume Warner will be getting on in age by the time we go to the sub continent again (not sure when our next visit to the UAE is) and it might be worth trying someone else for such a tour.

That being said I don't think Warner is actually a poor overseas player full stop, he's just bad in the sub continent. Was actually pretty useful in England, just wasn't able to make a ton while obviously he knows how to make runs in South Africa, dropped catches or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back