News Watching Port away games live on TV

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to purchase the product, this will come via TV subs or higher ticket prices. I'd prefer higher TV subs any day of the week as it encourages people to get to the game.
I happily pay for Foxtel as they provide an amazing Footy product (and NRL) that is not possible on the FTA model.

*rolls eyes* anyone would think Foxtel were employing duds from 30 years ago like Sandy Roberts.

Last edited:

"All three are away games for the Adelaide Crows, while Port Power will have two away games delayed along with one home game against North Melbourne at Adelaide Oval. ...

... Fans, such as Ian from Plympton, told ABC Adelaide that the development was "disgraceful". ...

... Another fan called Brad called the AFL "simply bloody greedy". ...

... When asked at a press conference today what he thought of the change, Port Power supporter SA Premier Jay Weatherill said it was "outrageous".

"I mean, there should be a Royal Commission," he jested. ...

Delayed free-to-air coverage in SA:

• Round 2: Crows verse Hawthorn, MCG
  • Round 5: Crows vs Gold Coast Suns, Spotless Stadium
  • Round 15: Crows vs Carlton, MCG
  • Round 14: Port Power vs Collinwood, MCG
  • Round 17: Port Power vs North Melbourne, Adelaide Oval
  • Round 18: Port Power vs Melbourne, MCG"
The amount of Port Power in this hurts my eyes.

I go to all home games and any away games I can and watch free to air for the other Port games as best I can't cant get to.

This latest change means I will have to try to find a couple of games on line if I can be bothered, or I'll just catch up in the game day thread if I cant.
The game will be on delay anyway. If I already know the result I'll reduce my risk of heart attack.

I guess Im not really hard core "my lifes not complete without AFL", Port is important to me but the other scrubbers are just meh..

I was split between going over to watch us play collingwood or essendon

This has made that choice for me

Going back to doing what I enjoy, i.e. recording the games and watching them later with extensive use of the fast forward whenever any ad selling beer, gambling or cars hits the screens.

If the commentary is s**t and/or dermie then I'll watch it on mute.

I'll listen to the games live on the radio.

Not adding to the Murdoch billions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, all good points.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Foxtel as a whole is over-priced for what they deliver. Regardless of the exclusivity of the AFL games. It's not actually the AFL coverage that is the biggest problem with the value they present, it's actually the rest. As you say, Netflix offers almost the same content as Foxtel for 1/4 of the price in most cases.

It's the tripe Foxtel tack on to any sports deals that hurts it's cost/benefit.

So the question is, if you just wanted AFL coverage and absolutely nothing else - what would you all be willing to pay?

The sports pack on Foxtel is only 29 a month in isolation, but you have to have the "basics" pack tacked on as well which is another 26 or something.

If you could get solely the sports pack for 29 a month - I think that's pretty good value.

Hell - if you just wanted Port games and Port games only, then it should realistically be no more than 10 bucks a month. Foxtel at the very least will need to start providing more flexibility on what you actually pay for.

I guess I do get triggered at the thought of paying for that horrid TV show "Girls" in my bill, when there is no way I'd ever watch that s**t.
Just a heads up for those interested Foxtel from Telstra is $40 a month for the basic + sports pack, $15 cheaper than Foxtel. Same product just billed from Telstra not Foxtel. I have used it for years as I used to work for Telstra and it's the only way I could get the employee discount

Try living interstate and see how you go without Foxtel, which I refuse to pay for as it is overpriced for what you get (if you could just get the sport fine, but you can't). We get at most 5 or 6 games a year on free to air. None of this on delay stuff either, if it's not one of those 5 or 6 games that's it. So you either have to go to the pub, have a friend with Foxtel or watch the AFL live pass, which is what I'll be doing this year. If it's no good then it's back to the pub. All of you Adelaideans have still got it pretty good in my opinion.

The fact that tv isn't 1080p 25-50fps high bitrate shows how much of a 3rd world country broadcasting treats us as.

Some grub can record 4k 60fps in his bedroom and we can't even get good quality 1080i/720p from billion dollar businesses.
I have a 4k TV and all I have to show for it is watching 4k YouTube's of flowers blooming.:(

Gopros are literally higher quality than the AFL's coverage.
Yh2VoZ8.jpg

Meh, get to go to the pub and watch a couple of matches. Still cheaper than Foxtel.
I dont drink and dont particularly like hanging in pubs with 3 kids ....so blah to your Meh....

On the ABC News last night they did a vox pop on this issue. The responses that they aired were entirely negative but I had to laugh at this guy who said it was impossible to leave your phone alone or stay off social media for 2 hours so you won't know the result in advance.

abc news.jpg

Yeah, it's inconvenient but impossible, carn.

All sport will move to a subscription based model soon enough.

You can't watch a game of tiddlywinks in the UK without pay tv and you may as well not bother following a sport like the NBA without League Pass, whether you live in the US or not - unless you resort to illegal options which present problems of their own.

Australians have been incredibly spoilt with the amount of sport they get for free, mostly due to anti-siphoning laws introduced in 1992. It would be naive to think it will stay that way forever.

It amazes me how oblivious people are to the value of streaming services and Foxtel.

Netflix in OZ is crap. All old shows that can be acquired by other means. The best of what's available though (that says something)

Stan, well I refuse to take anyone seriously who subscribes to this. An absolute joke of a service.

Foxtel is great for $50 a month (basic & sports) considering what you get.

As far as AFL goes, people need to get over having to wait for 30mins to watch what they used to get live. It will only get worse from here.

People need to stop being intimidated by technology and the internet and get out there and see what they can get for next to nothing.

Try living interstate and see how you go without Foxtel, which I refuse to pay for as it is overpriced for what you get (if you could just get the sport fine, but you can't). We get at most 5 or 6 games a year on free to air. None of this on delay stuff either, if it's not one of those 5 or 6 games that's it. So you either have to go to the pub, have a friend with Foxtel or watch the AFL live pass, which is what I'll be doing this year. If it's no good then it's back to the pub. All of you Adelaideans have still got it pretty good in my opinion.
How many beers/drinks do you buy whilst you are at the pub watching a Port game for 3 hours.?? If its 2 or 3, depending on where you go, and what you drink, you have just payed the equivalent of a week or two of Foxtel subscription. That's how I have thought about it since 1998 when I got Optus Vision and channel 7's C7 sports station to watch Port games live when I lived in Sydney. Plus if you like watching the other games of AFL, Fox Footy gives you that option free to air TV doesn't.

How many beers/drinks do you buy whilst you are at the pub watching a Port game for 3 hours.?? If its 2 or 3, depending on where you go, and what you drink, you have just payed the equivalent of a week or two of Foxtel subscription. That's how I have thought about it since 1998 when I got Optus Vision and channel 7's C7 sports station to watch Port games live when I lived in Sydney. Plus if you like watching the other games of AFL, Fox Footy gives you that option free to air TV doesn't.

Foxtel on my ps4 and laptop 39 a month . So its only 4 bucks extra a week then the afl app option plus you get other live sports including nrl and other tv . So its not really that bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back