We need to have a talk about Nathan Lyon taking 500 test wickets

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt a fine career, Lyon has done a wonderful job. But top 10 all-time great Australian cricketers?

Not only in cricket, but there is also always this unfortunate tendency to elevate contemporary players beyond those who came before and it annoys me like you wouldn't believe. It is simply wrong to just compare statistics with players of a different era.

tom morris doesn't know his cricket, or he is speaking in the moment on the back of lyon's efforts today.

no way is lyon a better player than border, everyone knows that.

37 wickets will see lyon become australia's 2nd greatest wicket taker which is an awesome effort - longevity in the game has helped.
(only 4 aussie bowlers have played 80+ tests - plus lillee if you count WSC & ROW unofficial tests.

the GOAT just keeps on keeping on and only 4 other guys have worn the baggy green more.

His average isn’t that far away from dipping below 30 now, will be tough to achieve with the Indian series next summer but it is very possible.

The fact is that Nathan Lyon will remain the worst Australian spinner to ever play over 100 Tests and take 500 wickets.
Not a bad spot in a field of 2. :)

I'd take it all day.

And he'll still have a more wickets when he finishes than any Australian non-spin bowler I'd reckon. I'll back him to overtake McGrath.

Astonishing but the bloke's been fantastic over a long period of time.

Top 10 all time is very prisoner of moment talk.

His 500 wickets total is largely du to to longevity, compare him to Ashwin for example who has done it in far fewer tests.

Having said that, over Lyons 128 tests his 2nd 64 are worlds better than his first 64. He's bowling at a career best clip now and if he were at this level his whole career he'd be around 600 wickets.

I'm taking Lyon over Ashwin any day of the week. More useful in a wider range of conditions and pitch types.

Ashwin is a bully in India but a modest bowler in other conditions

Seems a little harsh on Ashwin.

He’s averaged poorly in Australia - 42 -and SA, 49. Everywhere else he’s sub 30*
He’s played 16 tests in England and gaken 59 wickets at 29.
*he’s played one innings in NZ and taken 3-99

Lyon averages over 30 in Pakistan, SA, Sri Lanka and the UAE, and Australia. He has 90 wickets at around 40 across those 4 countries if you remove Australia.

Im not sure it’s as clear cut as that.

I’m not a champion of the Ashwin fan club fwiw - I think he gets too much kudos compared to Jadeja who I think is sorely undervalued by comparison but I don’t think Ashwin is ‘just’ a hometown bully.

Ashwin’s last tour to Australia was much better than his previous 1-2 as well. He was much more effective and looked like he’d learned a bit

I’m not a champion of the Ashwin fan club fwiw - I think he gets too much kudos compared to Jadeja who I think is sorely undervalued by comparison but I don’t think Ashwin is ‘just’ a hometown bully.
I think this may be the case externally, but not internally.

Several times through his career Ashwin has been dropped overseas in favour of Jadeja - who fwiw has been ranked no.1 bowler in the world himself - as he obviously provides more batting and fielding, as well as arguably being a better bowler overseas.

I think this may be the case externally, but not internally.

Several times through his career Ashwin has been dropped overseas in favour of Jadeja - who fwiw has been ranked no.1 bowler in the world himself - as he obviously provides more batting and fielding, as well as arguably being a better bowler overseas.

True enough, I think as time has gone on I think India has started to realise this too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back