List Mgmt. Welcome Coen Livingstone (Category B Rookie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamo will probably still be 2nd preferred ruck to Baz unless they wanna develop him more in defence, but apart from that Coen is next man up. Jack Williams more suited as a forward with occasional chop outs.

Jamo will probably still be 2nd preferred ruck to Baz unless they wanna develop him more in defence, but apart from that Coen is next man up. Jack Williams more suited as a forward with occasional chop outs.
Pretty clear from the match sim that Jamo is earmarked for the backline. Good chance Livingstone debuts in Rd 1 I reckon.

Coen is a natural forward should be played there with spurts in the ruck
YEah thats why I think he will be first cab off the rank to back up BBW who will be expected to take 75% ruck load without Flynn there. Jamo isnt much of a ruck and definitely not a forward so cant really ask him to repel wave after wave of opposition thrusts in the back line (sex life etc) then pinch hit in the ruck.

Coen is also a natural deep forward which as i've said before gives him a huge advantage over Jack Williams who is a more natural CHF. With size and strength you can get away with being less agile if you're playing as the deep forward. If you're playing further up the ground it doesn't work as well.

While Coen will unlikely ever be a star it's this reason why I think he will make a serviceable AFL player and Jack Williams won't. Jack has shown more than I thought he would but I just don't think he has the AFL attributes to make it.

Coen is also a natural deep forward which as i've said before gives him a huge advantage over Jack Williams who is a more natural CHF. With size and strength you can get away with being less agile if you're playing as the deep forward. If you're playing further up the ground it doesn't work as well.

While Coen will unlikely ever be a star it's this reason why I think he will make a serviceable AFL player and Jack Williams won't. Jack has shown more than I thought he would but I just don't think he has the AFL attributes to make it.
Serviceable as in Mihocek, finlayson, Dixon serviceable? Mitch Lewis/ Todd Marshall? I’m just listing players that do a job but you wouldn’t cry if you didn’t have theM. Dixon is overrated.

Serviceable as in Mihocek, finlayson, Dixon serviceable? Mitch Lewis/ Todd Marshall? I’m just listing players that do a job but you wouldn’t cry if you didn’t have theM. Dixon is overrated.

I actually find it hard relating him to a modern current AFL player however I am exceedingly tired. His weaknesses are his athleticism and his kicking for goal. His aggression to bust packs and being a very good mark himself are big positives. It might take 4-5 years but if he can then average a goal or so a game, create another each game through bringing the ball to ground for others and handle a little bit of ruckwork then I think that's a serviceable player and a very big benefit to the list.

I don't think he'll be a star and he could very well end up not making it because of the first two reasons but if he were to end up the as the player described that's either best 22 or it's taking one hell of a great FF to hold him out of the side. The only real downside to that type of key forward up front is you need elite pressure from your other forwards around them. They function as a group and you have to cover that athletic weakness.

I also personally think Allen is best from CHF. Maybe a touch deeper than some CHF players with a Waterman or Maric playing more up and back as the third tall.

I have a bit of a money ball approach to the make up of a forward line and what I hope for.
If your 3 talls can average 5 goals between them, your 3 smalls can average 4 goals between them, you can get 4 from midfield and one from your ruck department on average you will have a very successful team.

That's 14 goals. 14.10 each game is 94 points per game. In a more average season where there wasn't such a huge discrepancy between the top couple of teams and the bottom couple like say 2021 that would see you as the second highest scoring side for the year. In 2022 it would have left you as the second highest average scoring side and last year it would have left you third but less than 1 point per game off the top scoring side in the league and the only other higher scoring side didn't make finals.

More to the point if you can consistently break even through the midfield, out tackle your opposition and apply better overall team pressure there are 3 points.

1. You sure as s**t are going to win a very large % of games
2. You aren't overly reliant on any single player for kicking goals
3. You sure as s**t aren't going to lose too many finals if you kick 94 points. A further example no team last year kicked 94 points in a losing effort in a final. The year before Richmond kicked above 100 and lost by 2 points to Brisbane and Collingwood's score was exactly 14.10 in the prelim to lose by 1 point. Remember however I have made no allocation for rushed behinds.

I actually find it hard relating him to a modern current AFL player however I am exceedingly tired. His weaknesses are his athleticism and his kicking for goal. His aggression to bust packs and being a very good mark himself are big positives. It might take 4-5 years but if he can then average a goal or so a game, create another each game through bringing the ball to ground for others and handle a little bit of ruckwork then I think that's a serviceable player and a very big benefit to the list.

I don't think he'll be a star and he could very well end up not making it because of the first two reasons but if he were to end up the as the player described that's either best 22 or it's taking one hell of a great FF to hold him out of the side. The only real downside to that type of key forward up front is you need elite pressure from your other forwards around them. They function as a group and you have to cover that athletic weakness.

I also personally think Allen is best from CHF. Maybe a touch deeper than some CHF players with a Waterman or Maric playing more up and back as the third tall.

I have a bit of a money ball approach to the make up of a forward line and what I hope for.
If your 3 talls can average 5 goals between them, your 3 smalls can average 4 goals between them, you can get 4 from midfield and one from your ruck department on average you will have a very successful team.

That's 14 goals. 14.10 each game is 94 points per game. In a more average season where there wasn't such a huge discrepancy between the top couple of teams and the bottom couple like say 2021 that would see you as the second highest scoring side for the year. In 2022 it would have left you as the second highest average scoring side and last year it would have left you third but less than 1 point per game off the top scoring side in the league and the only other higher scoring side didn't make finals.

More to the point if you can consistently break even through the midfield, out tackle your opposition and apply better overall team pressure there are 3 points.

3. You sure as s**t aren't going to lose too many finals if you kick 94 points. A further example no team last year kicked 94 points in a losing effort in a final. The year before Richmond kicked above 100 and lost by 2 points to Brisbane and Collingwood's score was exactly 14.10 in the prelim to lose by 1 point. Remember however I have made no allocation for rushed behinds.
Levi casboult?? I know people refer to him as a spud but he has had a 14 year career averaging just over a goal game. Thats the definition of serviceable.

Very Good Post, spells out a lot of what I am just to lazy to type up or elaborate on. :thumbsu:

I have made this comparison before and your post above sounds very much how I would describe Charlie Dixon, albeit that Dixon is a little more athletic, although I don't see Livingston as the finished article yet athletically, as he is still growing and it takes most tall's at least a year or two grow into their new and adult bodies.

Put a couple of crafty high footy IQ opportunistic small forwards at Livingston's feet and he will create plenty of opportunities for them, case in point: someone like Noah Long, who reads the ball exceptionally well off hands, he is the sort that would complement Livingston's playing style as a FF.

Livingston's still got a lot of physical development in him and we will need to be give a liberal amount of time ( agree with your 4-5 year assessment), once he hits the weights room he could well end up a real beast.
As long as he shows continuous improvement in the WAFL, I would be keeping him on the list for 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Levi casboult?? I know people refer to him as a spud but he has had a 14 year career averaging just over a goal game. Thats the definition of serviceable.

I wish i was Levi.

Imagine being a C grade footballer playing AFL for 14 years on good coin. No huge amount of pressure, no superstar status, just show up, train and play. What a career for a pick 44 in the 2009 rookie draft.

195 games for 215 goals to this point... which would actually put him just shy of 10th on WCE all time goal kickers

I wish i was Levi.

Imagine being a C grade footballer playing AFL for 14 years on good coin. No huge amount of pressure, no superstar status, just show up, train and play. What a career for a pick 44 in the 2009 rookie draft.

195 games for 215 goals to this point... which would actually put him just shy of 10th on WCE all time goal kickers
Imagine if he could kick straight instead of right angles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back