Coach Don Pyke - over to the Eagles as new CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I keep hearing from people who know him from his time here in WA (including my granddad, who used to go to backyard parties with Pyke, John Worsfold and Michael Brennan, whoever the hell that is) is that he's an odd sort of character. Not a strong personality, not great at conversation, not much of a sense of humour and a bit of a stiff. Not a people person. (Which is OK btw)

Bearing this mind, I can see how he wasn't the right person to be senior coach in these circumstances. Quite evidently he didn't show the sensitivity and awareness needed to prevent it from going any further. But I also think being complicit doesn't always equal being malicious and I can quite easily see how he might've been caught up in it. So I'm willing to take his apology as sincere.

I also maintain the belief that if the players felt there was a great betrayal by their senior coach - who they'd know on a more personal level than the suits who run the club - then he would be facing far more direct and explicit condemnation from the players than he has so far. Their hurt and anger still seems squarely directed at the club, rather than any individual.

The bombers have said they're after a coach with AFL experience. They missed out on Clarkson, Lyon doesn't seem interested in coaching again, neither does Buckley.

In my estimations Pyke is probably the next best in line. I reckon they'll be in his ear very soon.

The bombers have said they're after a coach with AFL experience. They missed out on Clarkson, Lyon doesn't seem interested in coaching again, neither does Buckley.

In my estimations Pyke is probably the next best in line. I reckon they'll be in his ear very soon.
Cannot imagine Pyke being interested given the media scrutiny, and the Bombers picking Pykre after the Betts and co expose this year would be unthinkably stupid.

Cannot imagine Pyke being interested given the media scrutiny, and the Bombers picking Pykre after the Betts and co expose this year would be unthinkably stupid.
From all reports they're seriously considering bringing Hird back. I don't think Pyke would be struck off their list.

From all reports they're seriously considering bringing Hird back. I don't think Pyke would be struck off their list.
If they are serious about Hird, they are in big trouble. They need to overthrow the entire board, and ask Sheedy to step away I think.

Mark Williams would be the right choice you'd think

Then it would seem he's got the job!
Stupid decisions and Essendon go hand in hand.

If they are serious about Hird, they are in big trouble. They need to overthrow the entire board, and ask Sheedy to step away I think.
Sheeds just needs to wander into the sunset and never be heard from again.

We are in the infancy of a dynasty. Can't see Pyke leaving

Sheeds just needs to wander into the sunset and never be heard from again.

We are in the infancy of a dynasty. Can't see Pyke leaving
Totally agree. I get the distinct feeling that this is a very together group of coaches, working from shared values and enjoying their work. Pyke apparently doesn't need the money and will do what suits him. At the moment, that seems to be this job. Who knows what the future holds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney assistant coach Don Pyke won’t pursue the Essendon coaching job.

Pyke, who coached Adelaide to the 2017 Grand Final during his stint at West Lakes from 2016 to 2019, says he is happy to remain in the Harbour City for the time being.

“I’m really enjoying what I’m doing here (in Sydney),” Pyke told ABC Sport.

“You come across to a club you haven’t been associated with and I’ve been fortunate to join at an exciting time.

“I had a chat to the Bombers, but at this stage, I’m not pursuing that."

Not confirmed yet, his said his interested but the search is still in its infancy.

Nisbett will also stay on as CEO until late next year.
If he wants it good luck to him. He has been good with us and I'm sure has a good background and will have learnt a lot from Gardiner and Harley as to how a well functioning organisation runs. They could do a lot worse.

If he wants it good luck to him. He has been good with us and I'm sure has a good background and will have learnt a lot from Gardiner and Harley as to how a well functioning organisation runs. They could do a lot worse.

Agreed, would like him to stay, but think he deserves this.

has run his own company and is very wealthy. Footy is his hobby.

If he goes it will be a loss. He and Horse have been a good combo with different strengths

Remove this Banner Ad

Back