Player Watch Welcome - James Trezise - 2023 VFL B&F Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibcus comes over the top and does a lot of pack spoiling, ask his knee. Trezise can't do that but he is good in the air so Broad and Grimes, who were both much better last night, might have to play taller. It will only be for a week as Miller will come in for Young and hopefully stay in as the Gibcus replacement. Was close to best on in the VFL, not that he was up against much.

Gibcus comes over the top and does a lot of pack spoiling, ask his knee. Trezise can't do that but he is good in the air so Broad and Grimes, who were both much better last night, might have to play taller. It will only be for a week as Miller will come in for Young and hopefully stay in as the Gibcus replacement. Was close to best on in the VFL, not that he was up against much.
:poo:

He kicked it beautifully on the weekend.

I'd love to see him play half forward if it means both Brown and trezise get a game in the ones.
He doesnt usually kick it well, thats the knock on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do people think trezise is ahead of brown in the pecking order? Brown played in the seniors all pre season and has been emergency both games. He’s obviously ahead of trezise in yze’s mimd atm.
Watching the VFL last week I'd have Trezise over Brown at the moment. Brown started like a house on fire, but he doesn't seem to have that hard edge that Trezise has, he sort of floats around a bit. Trezise seems a bit more of a natural backman. I think Brown needs to get a bit more physical.

Watching the VFL last week I'd have Trezise over Brown at the moment. Brown started like a house on fire, but he doesn't seem to have that hard edge that Trezise has, he sort of floats around a bit. Trezise seems a bit more of a natural backman. I think Brown needs to get a bit more physical.
Oh of course people can have their own opinions… I was more referring to how anyone could think that match committee doesn’t have brown ahead as they obviously currently do

Oh of course people can have their own opinions… I was more referring to how anyone could think that match committee doesn’t have brown ahead as they obviously currently do
Well it's a week by week thing now that games have started. Preseason's don't mean that much but a general gauge, match form should count for more, not that there is much between the two. Lower draft pics nearly always get preference also.

I tend to agree.
Not sure what it is about Brown, but he seems to me like a guy that would benefit from a soft transition into the Seniors with the system well set up around him.
With no Balta, Gibcus, even Young down back, then Grimes and Broad in questionable form, and Miller likely to be our main defender for the first time ever, I feel that Trezise would cope better with what could be a "thrown to the wolves" type role against the Port forward line.

Over stated I reckon. Big step up from country footy to VFL, took some time to settle in.

Kicking wasn't Trezise's strength even at country footy level. No doubt as a full time footballer he should be improving his disposal skills.

His aerial presence and tackling seem first class. I am quietly confident he will be a 100+ gamer for us, but not shocked if his kicking is a bit dodgy for AFL level at least in the early days.

Over stated I reckon. Big step up from country footy to VFL, took some time to settle in.
Mate we even saw his kicking last year in the AFL was shaky at best.

We cant even shaky kicks coming out of D50 IMO.

I agree with you earlier, HFF, great marking and tackling ability with some nice speed.

One thing we need to stop is recruiting players who struggle to kick the footy that's non negotiable for me and up not pointing our Trezise only in general.

One thing we need to stop is recruiting players who struggle to kick the footy that's non negotiable for me and up not pointing our Trezise only in general.

Thing is then do you recruit Broad, Grimes, Rance, and plenty of others who were cornerstones in our great teams? Players can improve their disposal over time. Kicking is ultimately crucial but we don't want to start recruiting a lot of soft players who can kick but have other deficiencies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back