Welcome Sav...

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
and I mean it... I am wrapped... if the guys knee is ok... always likened him to Johnny Longmire... one of my alltime favorites...

I remember when I went with a piemate (yes I have one, don't we all) out to vic park... Adrian kicked NINE we belted them but Rocca never gave up and in the second half played a good game in the ruck... and don't forget the 199? under nineteen grand final... LETS WAIT AND SEE...

Do you guys think he's worth the no.30 pick though? Has bad knees apparently and may get in the way of Carey and Corey. Or do you think Big McK. will be fulltime ruck next year?

I spoke to a rabid Roo before the draft and he thought Rocca would be a great get. This same guy said we only won this year because we were so stung from '99, we won't do it again. I bit my tongue as the guy was putting on a great feed on his bbq
wink.gif
. You gys would have been impressed, I didn't even mention the QF
smile.gif

You've changed your tune Dan, as you said Pagan is "the greatest coach ever", surely you'd trust him to make informed decisions
confused.gif

Cheers.

Rice80SF

Pick 30 seems to be a high pick, but remember, that was also North's 5th selection, so I think it was fair enough. It is a risk, but North also tried to get James Cook last season (but couldn't due to salary cap restrictions)...like I wrote somewhere else, 50 to 60 goals and I'll be very happy.

As for Essendon, your club has set the standard for everyone else to match. Injuries, suspension, and complacency could all ruin your 2001, but every club faces the same risks. Essendon did have a blessed run on those fronts, but you have to make the most of your opportunities. And I don't care how driven a club is, you have to have something special to get a 24-1 record in the one season, and your club had that something special. I think that one thing that will go your way is that you've got a few players that were in the '93 side and they saw how success could slip away so easily. Those players....Hird, Misiti, Mercuri, Long...will work their arses off to make sure that it doesn't happen. So I don't expect the likes of Lloyd, Lucas, Ramanskus, the Johnson boys, etc. to slacken off in any way. Your team is a special one, but I'm sure that Pagan, Carey, and the rest of us at Arden Street will be working as hard as possible to match you, and hopefully, beat you.

Before the draft I was hoping that we would pick up Rocca, because we have been missing a genuine FF since Horse's knee gave in. Rocca has a reputation as a very good mobile FF who can kick long and accurately. Hopefully, as an added bonus, his presence will reduce the double and triple teaming of Carey and may free up a forward line that is already pretty potent.
Bell, Pike, McCartney and Clayton have all improved since they joined a top club, and I expect Rocca to do the same, especially with the service he'll get from the mid field.
According to Mike Sheehan, next year he'll be on base wage plus match payments, which could make the bargain of the season next year.
Good Luck SAV.

PS. It would pretty interesting to see Carey, McKernan and Rocca in the forward line for the first game next year. May put a bit of pressure on the star studded Essendon backline.

Rice,

I still think Pagan is the greatest coach I have even seen.

9 Grand Finals with the under 19s consecutively (don't tell me it's because of talent, because there is a turnover of players every two years)

A premeirship in his only season at Essendon reserves.

8 seasons at North for 7 consecutive preliminary finals, after missing the finals 6 years in a row before he came.

Mark my words. North will break Hawthorns record of 13 consecutie years in the finals. If Pagan "averages" making Grand Finals, how the hell can a Pagan coached team fall to 9th or below ???????????????? Nope, it's impossible.

But that doens't mean that I can't ridicule the bemusing selection of S.Rocca. I would have though a man who takes 2 hours to turn his body 360 degrees and who has no ground level skills wouldn't be the type of player North would want. But hey....it's their choice. Maybe they'll get lucky.

And Shinboners, my choice of postings has got more to do with the North supporters here at bigfooty rather than anything to do with the Kangaroos Football club.

As for my comparisons of Hird with Carey. What's wrong with that ? Carey has widely been acknowledged as the best player in the comp over the last 7 years, so the fact that Hird is now the best (in my opinion, anyway) warrants a comment. if Carey played for, say St.Kilda, I'd be commenting on St.Kilda.

I'm hungry. I'm going to go get some tea.

So, you spend time on the North board on the theory that if you're posting amongst a top bunch of blokes like us, other people will see it and suddenly think that you're a top bloke too. Hum. File that alongside your minor premiers theory.

As for Carey/Hird, you still haven't explained why everytime Essendon does something well, your first point of comparison is with North Melbourne. Or do you need more time to think up a way to disguise some more backpedalling?

The reason Dan24 continually compares Essendown with the Roos, is because he knows that without the intelligence, commitment and foresight of the Kangaroos board, coaching staff and players, AFL football would not be the most popular sport in the country. He believe that Essendon and only Essendon can compare with what is truelly the greatest sporting organisation in the land. This may also be the reason why so many other clubs and their supporters hate us, not because we are continually near the top, but because we a light years ahead of them in terms of development and football knowhow.

Even with the untimely death of our beloved guru last year we will continue to be at the forefront of any new developments made in the greatest game of all, AFL.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the loo and wipe my face.

Ahhh, Shinboners, unless you've ben living on another planet, you will have realised that I do not ALWAYS compare Essendon with North Melbourne. I compare us with lots of different clubs, depending on the circumstances. Often I don't compare at all. In fact, since when do i compare. I have opinions about things, where the word "compare" isn't even relevant

If I do compare, Carlton have drawn more comparisons from me than the Kangaroos have. How can the Roos match a club like Essendon ????

Oh, and what is this crap about you all being a "top bunch of bokes"

Are you putting words into my mouth again ? You seem a bit chuffed with your own importance. You must think you're pretty good if you post things related to other people feeling that you're a top bloke.

I'm secure with myself and my opinions to not worry about crap like that. But, if that's what you like to believe in your little fantasy land, then that's fine.

Dan

Well, you did write that your choice of postings had more to do with the North fans here than the club, but didn't say anything else. This left me in a quandry over how you felt about us North fans, so I sat down and thought of the North fans here and trying to figure out the common link (apart from our choice of club) between us North fans here. I came up with this:

Rooboy 96: A top bloke
Gonzo: A top bloke
Groucho: A top bloke
Devo: A top bloke
Me: Drunkard

Apologies if any of you are actually bloke-ettes, but you guys know what I mean.

We also have plenty of visitors, and I came up with this:

Westy Boy: Top bloke
Rice80: Top bloke
Arch: Top bloke
Bloodstained Angel: Top bloke
Sainter: Top bloke
The Dutchman: Top bloke
Grendel: Top bloke
Walshy1993: Top Bloke
Danni: Top blokette
Sandie: Top blokette
Bitch: Top blokette

So naturally, I thought you were implying how we were a bunch of top blokes and blokettes, but if that wasn't the intention of your comment, then maybe you should have been more specific.

Or alternatively, never visit this board again.

Cheers
Shinboners

p.s. Oh, that comment about being secure with yourself. By just writing that, it indicates that you are in fact, very insecure because of your awareness of your state of insecurity. It's just like all those manufactured pop bands talking about how much credibility they have. I am actually a very insecure person, but that's a natural side effect from watching the North backline play over the past few years.

p.p.s. In the spirit of peace and reconciliation, we could all e-mail Bluey and ask him to set up a backpedallars board just for you. Us North and Doggies fans are keen to help you in anyway we can.

[This message has been edited by Shinboners (edited 02 November 2000).]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Shinners you got one wrong:

Shinboner - a TOP drunk bloke.

Thanks for that reply about the Bombers, very fair as usual. Seemed obvious to me too, that last year wasn't just the revenge factor.

You guys did have 4 young guys picked before Rocca so I think that's fair enough, even at 30.

What did you think of McMahon holding a press conference about the Carlton thing? Even though it wasn't all gloating, which is understandable, in my opinion he should not have done it. He should have just kept quit unless asked about it and then only question the AFL's inconsitency. I just thought it lacked a little bit of class, not in Elliott's league mind you, but I think it was a mistake all the same.

Can't wait for 2001, acctually had a bloody dream about the Ansett cup starting early. Must be getting withdrawrall symptoms, very sad I am.

Cheers.

Shiboners,

Don't put words in my mouth, please.

If I say I am secure (why the HELL wouldn't I be ??????), then I am.

Going by your logic, if someone says something, then we can all just assume the opposite is true. That's the Shinboner logic for you.

Rice80SF

Funnily enough, I was saying to someone today that I couldn't wait for next season to start either. Did you see the odds for Essendon making the finals today? You're quoted as $1.05!

I think McMahon could've waited for the reporters calls (or do a doorstop interview) rather than arrange a press conference. As a non-Essendon/Carlton fan, it didn't look all that bad to me, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Kevin Sheedy didn't say too much about it today. In the end, I do hope the AFL penalise Carlton by denying them draft picks next season just to get the message across. Although the amount that they cheated on was less than Essendon's or Melbourne's, they should probably get a harsher penalty because it's the third time they've infringed and they should have taken notice of the penalties given to Essendon and Melbourne. (Naturally, none of this applies should North get sprung next week!
wink.gif
).

Rice

Re McMahon - to a neutral supporter (ie not Car/Ess) it came across as a bit "immature" for want of a better word, would have gone down much better with a one liner/news grab along the lines of "Well theres really not much to say is there!" or make reference to glass houses or something along that line.

To hold a news conference within 24 hours smacked of McMahon just not being able to control himself (perhaps he got a bit emotive eh Dan?) and putting the boot in!

Hey not that putting the boot into Jack Elliot after his myriad of gaffs is neccessarily a bad thing!
wink.gif

Cheers

Gonzo

Aaarrrggghh!!!

I popped into this board looking for some more serious discussion topics. Instead, the first thread I jump into has more of Dan and Shinboner slagging off at each other!

Maybe Bluey sould start a new thread called Shinboner Vs Dan
biggrin.gif

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

Originally posted by Shinboners:

Maybe Knowing When To Shut The **** Up 101 will suffice for him.
biggrin.gif

Haha - Brilliant Shinners!!!
biggrin.gif

But I think me may need the more advanced level subject-
Still Not Knowing When To Shut The **** Up- We Have A Stubborn One On Our Hands- 201
... or maybe the subject which has never been required before-
You Just Don't Seem To Be Understanding The Essence Of This Major, Are You Dan??- we've been waiting for you 301
biggrin.gif

And in your post I thought the subject was- Condescending Essays 101-.... and I thought, what do you mean?.... he doesn't need any help with that.... easy High Distinctions (A+'s) for Dan there....

And awwww shucks.... a cyber top bloke
biggrin.gif
..... you're a top bloke too shinners.... and drunkard can be applied to all of us.... maybe that's this board's (and everyone on it) appeal to Milkybarkid24....

BTW- where's my bikini clad woman,
confused.gif
frown.gif
.... can you order some more in please ....

[This message has been edited by Westy Boy (edited 03 November 2000).]

Gee aren't we all just a happy bunch of chappy's here at the moment.

Westy Boy ? Shinboners ? Enjoying each others company are we ?

Maybe you two can arrange to go to the "slagging off at Dan24 room". There you can let fly at me with your most brutal and cynical posts. Should be entertaining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back