Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

lol that excuse. Give me a break.
If you’ve watched Lynch in the past and actually studied his game you would have noticed it’s not the things he does well , but what he doesn’t do well . This is his defensive side of his game and good footballers feast of it. Fit or unfit it’s his Achilles.
And as we've all been very much made aware of, he had absolutely no development at GCS! How do you expect a guy, who is only just getting the development in his game at age 26/27 to know to do all that. He's learning on the run here! Only time on the park will get him up to speed.

I knew he wouldn't be playing his best this season and I was good with that. What we all didn't account for, was that Jack would be injured for so long! As a developing no. 2 KPF, his progress would have been acceptable, but as the only focal point up fwd, he has come under much more scrutiny than he would of if Jack was fit and firing.

I feel sorry for the guy, he's had 2 operations, no pre-season, at a new club, has to learn a new game plan/system, still developing, still not training 100%, knee is probably still not 100%, having to play every game when he was expecting to have a few to rest the body, been thrown in the deep end, sole KPF in a team that hasn't been gelling (due to injuries and no consistency in the playing group), playing group gotta learn how to play to his strengths and on top of it all he's expected to be some type of miraculous it man whilst being double/triple teamed every game!

I'm not trying to have a go at you, but don't you think your expectations are a little high?

took a few good grabs, but more impressive last night, he really hit a couple of packs hard. not just a spoil attempt but being a physical presence.
Was leading out to the ball which he also did well v freo and PA , only challenge coaches have with this approach is if he fails to mark it it’s easier to rebound out from HF, need to better setup smalls they weren’t working close to goal either , some work to do for forwards coach

Was leading out to the ball which he also did well v freo and PA , only challenge coaches have with this approach is if he fails to mark it it’s easier to rebound out from HF, need to better setup smalls they weren’t working close to goal either , some work to do for forwards coach
I’m glad you can see the rebounding issues we have with him and you’re right our smalls have been very poor this year. So they have to wear some of the blame. Butler and Rioli have had poor seasons whilst Castagna has just held his own. I would like Sheds to take Butler’s spot and rotate him with Naish.
Or when Cotchin or Lambert return have Baker spending more time up there. We’ve got to work out a better system of locking the ball in as it gets sucked out too easily from our FL.
I’ve probably been too harsh on Lynch as the three amigos need to assist him better, but Lynch’s direct opponents still had double the possessions and marks which doesn’t get him entirely off the hook. There’s no hiding out FL has been poor in kicking a score for a while now and they need to increase the % of goals from I50 entries as it’s a low number atm.

Kick some goals already

yeah, no pre season, coming off a knee, on target for a 50 goal plus season. 4th in the coleman. Yeah Tom, hurry up and do something please.

yeah, no pre season, coming off a knee, on target for a 50 goal plus season. 4th in the coleman. Yeah Tom, hurry up and do something please.
Pfft how dare he only be fourth in the Coleman. It’s just not good enough! :mad: :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, way below expectations

What are your expectations given the quality of teams we have been putting on the field to get the ball to him?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Clunk
BZcC7mi.gif

Is lynch leading less and trying to grab the could land anywhere bomb it into 50? Maybe the team mates need to adjust and spear it in front of a leading forward instead of the old that’s ok jumping jack will fly for it and keep my disposal eff looking better than it should be
Yes, exactly. We are playing to Jack’s strength’s right now. Lynch is not Jumping Jack so we need to change up our delivery inside 50

He’s not going to get much better bc he’s too slow. He’s basically useless if he drops the mark and even fully fit this was an area he was always poor in. Someone with his height will eventually get on the end of enough easy balls to snag two to three goals a game. It’s the damage that’s done off him by backmen that costs us as he provides an easy out for them. He’s an old fashioned type forward and one dimensional to be a weapon in the modern game. If he could only ruck it would at least make him a two trick pony. Give me Chol anytime and Balta in 18 months over him.

Last edited:
He’s not going to get much better bc he’s too slow. He’s basically useless if he drops the mark and even fully fit this was an area he was always poor in. Someone with his height will eventually get on the end of enough easy balls to snag two to three goals a game. It’s the damage that’s done off him by backmen that costs us as he provides an easy out for them. He’s an old fashioned type forward and one dimensional to be a weapon in the modern game. If he could only ruck it would at least make him a two trick pony. Give me Chol anytime and Balta in 18 months ver him.

I thought he was brilliant today and his work when he didn't have the ball was good.

makes space for team mates with good blocks and protects the smaller plsyers
leadership is on display all the time organising
kicked another 3 today could have been 5-6 awsome pick up by the club our best forward

I thought he was brilliant today and his work when he didn't have the ball was good.
Not in the first half and when it was on the ground he got pantsed. His second half was better bc he started to hold his marks. Saints died off in the last and we had a lot of i50 entries . I can’t see him getting any faster or flexible low down which is a concern. Chol made his game easier bc he became a dangerous target in the air . I’m still in the belief his game could improve if he had some genuine small forwards crumbing off him as George and Rioli have been rubbish. I’m still confused why they can’t get it right crumbing his work. I think they need a Higgins and Baker beside him as they’re better skilled at reading the ball dropping from a pack.
Also I think he still lacks aggression and is soft on the big man scale of hardness bc he doesn’t open up the packs. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but I can only judge him on what I’ve seen.

Lynch was very good today. Should probably have kicked 4 or 5 goals today, but when he’s not kicking goals his work around the ground is actually really good.

He needs the second tall forward, to be at his best.

Would like to see how we go with a three tall forward line given how mobile Chol and Jack are.

If we can work it right there’s room for all three of them in our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back