We're getting Good Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Even me? You don't even know me?
The beliefs.

Yeah, to me. That's why I said IMO. Last time I checked that means "In My Opinion".
To butt in here, I suspect the problem is that the "IMO" went with "we don't need Good Friday football.", not "It has far more significance and importance than footy."

Historically, perhaps, but footy has a few centuries to catch up. It's already the religion of Melbourne, is it not? ;)

Very important to pack Etihad (Or the G if it happens to be played there) now to try and force the AFL to not make this a rotating fixture. Otherwise the 'rotation' will become

2017: Collingwood v Carlton
2018: Essendon v Carlton
2019: Richmond v Collingwood
2020: Carlton v Collingwood
2021: Hawthorn v v Richmond
etc

And much as some people here seem be worried about getting Carlton on board I think Dogs v Roos is better for all involved than the above scenario.

What about

2017 - NM v Dogs
2018 - NM v
2019 - NM v
2020 - NM v
2021 - NM v
2022 - NM v

Exactly. Why not this?

North took a risk with friday nights. When it was entrenched, the afl tossed north for *, carlton and even richmond ffs.

* and collingwood did not invent ANZACday footy - they just claimed it. Share this too if GF is to be shared!

I know there are laws against eating some meats on good friday, where do hot dogs fall in this?

Will I be allowed to eat a hot dog at the footy?

Yes hotdogs are allowed as they do not contain meat :rolleyes:. I think they are sawdust, whey protein, salt, hot-dog flavouring, red colouring and a miscellaneous congealed fat.

Last edited:
If you ever feel good about something just come to this board.

It's sure to bring you down
Speak for yourself Uncle. This place is great. The myriad of Turkeys who post on here ye keep me entertained and are always good for a laugh. Big Footy Rocks! :stern look

IMO we don't need Good Friday football.
Leave the day alone. It has far more significance and importance than footy.

Agreed. Football should be played in March - August with no finals in observance of Ramadan.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know there are laws against eating some meats on good friday, where do hot dogs fall in this?

LOL. My school would not sell pies or sausages on any Friday from the canteen. But the replacement was hot dogs. Apparently, lips, arseholes and udders do not classify as meat ('eh Gasso?).

You want sauce with that?

Well I for one am not eating a hot dog on Good Friday unless it is halal.

So why is it a twilight game? Is that because we are playing or will it be night games for everyone else as part of the rotation?

Since 1996 Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity grew from twelve to thousands serving the "poorest of the poor" in 450 centres around the world.

Has anyone been treated at St Vincent's hospital in Melbourne? Or St John's in Ballarat?

Anyone received any assistance from St Vincent De Paul? Or known families who rely on this establishment?

Why do people choose to absorb and attack only the shittiest things?

Last edited:
Since 1996 Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity grew from twelve to thousands serving the "poorest of the poor" in 450 centres around the world.

Has anyone been treated at St Vincent's hospital in Melbourne? Or St John's in Ballarat?

Anyone received any assistance from St Vincent De Paul? Or known families who rely on this establishment?

Why do people choose to absorb and attack only the shittiest things?
I couldn't see the post you were responding to, but as an ex-mod, I'll say they can't read everything (even if TT never sleeps), so use the button and report anything you find offensive.

Of course, there are s**t human beings inside and outside churches. And wonderful human beings too. I don't see this as a debate that should be about the worthiness of religion. I also don't see why it's a discussion at all - in the Protestant tradition in which I was raised, the whole week is sacred and Easter Sunday is the peak, so it has always been a mystery why Good Friday was ever set aside when footy and everything else was running on the day that counts the most if you believe in that kind of thing.

Anyhow. Point is, it is happening and North is in the first match, where we should be. Let's make it such a hit everyone will wonder why they didn't do this year's ago.

Last edited:
I'm sure the AFL would love to have Collingwood/Richmond or * grand final every year if they could.....

I couldn't see the post you were responding to, but as an ex-mod, I'll say they can't read everything (even if TT never sleeps), so use the button and report anything you find offensive.

Of course, there are s**t human beings inside and outside churches. And wonderful human beings too. I don't see this as a debate that should be about the worthiness of religion. I also don't see why it's a discussion at all - in the Protestant tradition in which I was raised, the whole week is sacred and Easter Sunday is the peak, so it has always been a mystery why Good Friday was ever set aside when footy and everything else was running on the day that counts the most if you believe in that kind of thing.

Anyhow. Point is, it is happening and North is in the first match, where we should be. Let's make it such a hit everyone will wonder why they didn't do this year's ago.

Indeed H to h. I've cleaned it up anyway.

If you ever feel good about something just come to this board.

It's sure to bring you down

Ha. Yes, when I think of posters who can be relied upon to present an upbeat, feelgood take on anything North, yours is always the first name I think of.

You're nothing if not a veritable ray of sunshine, Leo.

I'm going to side with Boristown here (and no one is more surprised than me). After 25 years North will play the first Good Friday game, and the response is 50% "bastards want to rotate the fixture" (with snits aboutvthis peaking at planning to boycott), 30% "how can we keep Carlton in the picture" (WT actual F), and only 20% tops excited that is actually happening.

I will bet London to a brick that the AFL has left themselves an escape hatch and given St Kilda a sop, but is not committed to rotating it. They just need it to be a success. If it has crowds like our first game against the Dogs this year, and the game is a decent spectacle, and the community feel around it is positive for the AFL and the appeal, they would need to believe someone else will get a better result to take it away. Let's get behind it, with (we all assume) the Dogs, make it a fantastic event, and not give them an option.

I certainly hope you’re right, Hearts. You may have noted that along with the word “if”, I also used the word “pre-determined” in my post. Meaning I was specifically exploring a scenario where your second paragraph wasn’t actually a potential outcome.

Regardless, as the article wasn’t definitive on the subject of rotation, we’re both just backstroking in the seas of speculation here. A healthy distrust of the AFL prevents me from embracing your theory with open arms but, again, I absolutely hope that it pans out as you have predicted.

To be fair, I also think it’s worth affording my comments a little bit of context – as you may have noticed, I traditionally spend a decent chunk of my time on this forum railing against the abject negativity of the joint, and I don’t make a habit of jumping at shadows. However, the article made mention of rotating the fixture, so I don’t necessarily see this is a case of Bigfooty merely acting to type. If people were discussing the prospect of us being rotated out when the article had made no mention of it whatsoever, then I think your criticism would land far closer to the mark.

I’m not suggesting anyone should lose their s**t over it at this stage, but as the article did make mention of rotating the fixture, a response to that doesn’t seem unexpected. And if true, it’s bound to temper excitement. Because I’m sure most North supporters would agree that there is no comparison between landing Good Friday as a permanent gig, and playing a mere cameo role in this new initiative. While I concede that nothing is set in stone at this point, celebrating the announcement while merrily pretending that the writer never mentioned rotating us out seems a tad bizarre to me.

Anyway, I’ll see your Boreustown and raise you a Kimbo. I agree with what he said on the previous page – if true, it is indeed an important caveat and one that’s unlikely to elicit a positive response from the North faithful. Particularly given that the club has spent some 25 years lobbying for the idea, and that any plan to rotate teams runs counter to how the AFL manage other blockbuster fixtures. But despite its potential significance to the venture, save for one or two OTT replies, I don’t think anyone is getting too dire here. Just commenting on a potential goalpost shift that presents a less than desirable outcome for all our hard work.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. It's only that I have so much respect for you as a poster that I thought it was worth clarifying my position and extrapolating on my previous post.

I certainly hope you’re right, Hearts. You may have noted that along with the word “if”, I also used the word “pre-determined” in my post. Meaning I was specifically exploring a scenario where your second paragraph wasn’t actually a potential outcome.

Regardless, as the article wasn’t definitive on the subject of rotation, we’re both just backstroking in the seas of speculation here. A healthy distrust of the AFL prevents me from embracing your theory with open arms but, again, I absolutely hope that it pans out as you have predicted.

To be fair, I also think it’s worth affording my comments a little bit of context – as you may have noticed, I traditionally spend a decent chunk of my time on this forum railing against the abject negativity of the joint, and I don’t make a habit of jumping at shadows. However, the article made mention of rotating the fixture, so I don’t necessarily see this is a case of Bigfooty merely acting to type. If people were discussing the prospect of us being rotated out when the article had made no mention of it whatsoever, then I think your criticism would land far closer to the mark.

I’m not suggesting anyone should lose their s**t over it at this stage, but as the article did make mention of rotating the fixture, a response to that doesn’t seem unexpected. And if true, it’s bound to temper excitement. Because I’m sure most North supporters would agree that there is no comparison between landing Good Friday as a permanent gig, and playing a mere cameo role in this new initiative. While I concede that nothing is set in stone at this point, celebrating the announcement while merrily pretending that the writer never mentioned rotating us out seems a tad bizarre to me.

Anyway, I’ll see your Boreustown and raise you a Kimbo. I agree with what he said on the previous page – if true, it is indeed an important caveat and one that’s unlikely to elicit a positive response from the North faithful. Particularly given that the club has spent some 25 years lobbying for the idea, and that any plan to rotate teams runs counter to how the AFL manage other blockbuster fixtures. But despite its potential significance to the venture, save for one or two OTT replies, I don’t think anyone is getting too dire here. Just commenting on a potential goalpost shift that presents a less than desirable outcome for all our hard work.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. It's only that I have so much respect for you as a poster that I thought it was worth clarifying my position and extrapolating on my previous post.
I always enjoy your posts and find them considered and sensible as well as amusing, so while I appreciate the explanation you really don't have to. I understand everything you are saying and don't trust the AFL at all - I guess I just feel reasonably optimistic about how this could go and how it could could appeal to what the AFL wants (money and the feels). And thought that, after all the anxiety and the "how would you feel (about missing out)" thread, this one might have had more of a flavour of "great, although..." "rather than "humph, that sucks".

Watch us get drawn away first up then rotated out.

TBH I don't have a problem with the rotation if it's just Carlton, North, Dogs. And you can't get rotated out till you've had a home game in your cycle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back