Preview Western Bulldogs vs Essendon, Docklands, Sunday 30/07/17 @ 1:10 PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the perfect time to play them. The dogs in terrible form, masked by playing two of the worst sides in the comp the last two weeks. The media (and people outside of me) thinking the Dogs are still a chance to play finals, the players no doubt thinking that it will be a tough win.

This game will end up exactly like the West Coast, Port and St. Kilda games.

Out: Hartley (beaten), Laverde (worse than Green)
In: Ambrose , Begley

Essendon by 90 points
Hurley got beaten by his direct opponent(s) as well are you going to drop him too? When some players are on they're really hard to stop no matter how good a defender you might be, and Brown played bloody well against us today. None of our back 6 aside from Hurley played all that well, and it didn't help that once again we over-used the ball again in the midfield.

Also it was Laverde's first game back at AFL level since the end of last year due to injury. He showed some good signs and competed hard (more than could ever be said for Green), cut him some slack.

Last edited:

Would not be opposed to seeing Kobe Mutch debut this week in place of Trav Colyer.
Colyer's kicking is a liability. We had a terrible kicking efficiency vs North, and he has been the worst in this area over the last month. (I haven't looked at the stats, but he misses a LOT of targets for a senior player).

Also, North looked to gain some energy from having a few first gamers out there. I would be up for having a spot (on rotation) to blood a few new players. ie a couple games to Mutch, then Begley etc.

No changes this week.

If Gleeson doesn't end up recovering in time from injury than Dea will take his spot.

Laverde looked rusty but deserves another week after missing a lot of footy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Also it was Laverde's first game back at AFL level since the end of last year due to injury. He showed some good signs and competed hard (more than could ever be said for Green), cut him some slack.

Don't think Laverde competed any harder then Green at all. In fact I thought he applied less pressure and in some ways was a liability. Clearly rusty from his time out and in hindsight his selection was a mistake. Needs to spend a couple of weeks in the VFL rather than play in a high pressure game against the Dogs

Bulldogs had a big win over Gold Coast in Qld which is no easy task. They will be a formidable opponent. Money has both teams at $1.90.

Picken needs to be stopped as does Dale up forward. Their midfield is firing again as is their big pressure on the ball. Dalhaus, Hunter and Wallis are at their peak.

Can't afford to be carrying passengers in this game. Laverde and Colyer struggled against Kangas. Both of their positions should be looked at closely.

Laverde laid one awesome tackle but only had 2 tackles for the entire game along with his 11 possessions mostly ineffective. He cost us a goal where we had a free from 25 meters out and he played on to advantage and missed from 15 metres out. He struggled to get into marking contests because he couldn't jump.

In: Jackson Merrett, Francis/Kobe Mutch
Out: Colyer, Laverde

Last edited:
Bulldogs had a big win over Gold Coast in Qld which is no easy task. They will be a formidable opponent. Money has both teams at $1.90.

Picken needs to be stopped as does Dale up forward. Their midfield is firing again as is their big pressure on the ball. Dalhaus, Hunter and Wallis are at their peak.

Can't afford to be carrying passengers in this game. Laverde and Colyer struggled against Kangas. Both of their positions should be looked at closely.

Laverde laid one awesome tackle but only had 2 tackles for the entire game along with his 11 possessions mostly ineffective. He cost us a goal where we had a free from 25 meters out and he played on to advantage and missed from 15 metres out.

In: Jackson Merrett, Francis
Out: Colyer, Laverde
You are overrating how good the Dogs are. They aren't very good at all.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Beveridge is one of the best coaches in the business.

He will look to exploit all of our weaknesses (quite a few on display against North) and reduce it to a low scoring scrap which will suit his side.

A major test of Worsfold's coaching credentials. The reigning premiers deserve to be favourites.

They are still defensively one of the better teams and we haven't won a game kicking below 100 points.

I think we can win it, but they're the reigning premiers for a reason. Their form isn't great at the moment, but they can still turn it on. They'll give it everything because this is pretty much an elimination final, especially for them because of their percentage.

This'll be a scrap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laverde was a liability? You people don't know how to handle expectation. How was he different to Green or the games that have been played by Tippa this year when Tippa has found himself frozen out of the play? Of course I'd want to see much more from Laverde this week and in the weeks to come but he's going to need a run before he starts to really impact games.

Half the problem in the first half was Hooker getting in everyone's way and when he wasn't cutting off Daniher he was kicking the ball into the forward 50 and it was like he had transported himself back to 2009/2010.

Only change that needs to be made this week is the one to bring Ambrose into the side. It might be that he comes in for Gleeson due to injury or he could replace Hartley.

Yep they aren't going great, only won 3 of 7 since the bye, Carlton, North Melbourne(by a point) and Gold Coast, been smacked by 50+ in 3 of them and lost to the Eagles in Melbourne.

I thought Laverde was brought in a week or 2 early, but I wouldn't drop him after 1 week.

Im sure the coaches knew he'd be a bit off the pace, but brought him in anyway to give him a few games to get up with it so he is a better chance to be fit for finals if required.

Yeah, I don't think Laverde is getting dropped. Knee-jerkers gonna knee-jerk, I suppose.

He's done literally all he can at VFL level to build his form, the next step for him to keep building is a run of games in the AFL.

If the worst he's going to dish up is around the level of a role player on a bad day then he'll be fine. Onwards and upwards.

So would you consider this a danger game? Similar to Brisbane and North?
Considering the piss poor effort in the first three quarters yesterday, i really hope the players wrap their heads around the "No easy wins" mentality, this is not the time to be taking teams for granted!

Essendon are the better team, but id almost prefer going into this game as the underdogs.

Another massive game. Cant afford to pussy foot around with passengers here if we want to play finals. Need guys that can impact the game & win contested ball around the fwd line. Dogs are defensively a machine and should not be underestimated. They won the flag last year & those calling them less than clearly haven't watched the last two games.

Begley should be playing instead of Laverde. At least he will impact the contest & throw everything he has at it.
Lav looked completely lost and we can't afford another passenger. This just isn't the time to be playing guys that offer nothing.
Begs is a monster and will genuinely hurt an opposition defender when playing fwd, can run through the middle and also kick goals. He also runs & pressures very well. I think that he is a better replacement to Green that Lav & should play instead.

Kelly was hurt & looked sluggish, tired and wasn't sharp at all.
I reckon Kelly is due for a rest. Stanton should come in to play his role across the back flank. He is in good form & a ready made replacement.
Give Kelly a few weeks off for the finals and give Stats a chance.

Those nongs asking for Colyer to be dropped. Forgetttttttabout it. Who are we going to bring in to provide the kind of outside run that our game plan is based around. Especially with Lav in the team, without Green & Colyer we will be lacking the right ingredients to play our style of game.

Out: Laverde & Kelly
In: Begley & Stanton

No other changes in a very tough game. Simply a must win.

Yep they aren't going great, only won 3 of 7 since the bye, Carlton, North Melbourne(by a point) and Gold Coast, been smacked by 50+ in 3 of them and lost to the Eagles in Melbourne.
And despite all of those poor games, they are sitting right next to us on the ladder and if they beat us they will go on top of us and will most likely be sitting in the 8. You don't win a grand final without ability. They seemed to lack interest in some of their games but now they see a chance to play finals sitting there.

And their coaching staff will be right into closing down Essendon strengths. There will be no easy clearances.

Last edited:
I thought Laverde was brought in a week or 2 early, but I wouldn't drop him after 1 week.

Im sure the coaches knew he'd be a bit off the pace, but brought him in anyway to give him a few games to get up with it so he is a better chance to be fit for finals if required.
We aren't in a position to play somebody so they can find touch (maybe). This is not to say in the future Laverde may be a champion of the club and a 200 game player.

I would prefer to see Jackson M come in. He has been a standout in recent VFL games and he will fit right into our gut running into the forward line game plan. He is not old (24yo). That is the age when it clicks for some players.

Would like to see the 2 Merretts in the same team. An Essendon tradition. Reckon both of them will lift. Zach will definitely find his brother on the forward line.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think Laverde is getting dropped. Knee-jerkers gonna knee-jerk, I suppose.

He's done literally all he can at VFL level to build his form, the next step for him to keep building is a run of games in the AFL.

If the worst he's going to dish up is around the level of a role player on a bad day then he'll be fine. Onwards and upwards.

Knee jerkers?? LAst week was his first four quarter in 3-4 months, and he was never a regular before that. Should have spent another couple in the VFL.
If Begley is good to be emergency last 4-5 weeks he should have come in.

And despite all of those poor games, they are sitting right next to us on the ladder and if they beat us they will go on top of us and will most likely be sitting in the 8. You don't win a grand final without ability. They seemed to lack interest in some of their games but now they see a chance to play finals sitting there.

And their coaching staff will be right into closing down Essendon strengths. There will be no easy clearances.

What match wouldn't an opposing coach look to shut down any opposition strengths?

I'd bring in Howlett knowing this is going to be bash and crash.

Unpopular view but we won't need the outside as much as the inside against the premiers. Play Parish/Myers/Watson inside and sit Zach defensive side of the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back