Western Australian State Cricket Team: Treble Winners. Again

Remove this Banner Ad

2017-18 WESTERN WARRIORS CONTRACT LIST

Ins: Marcus Stoinis (Victoria), Matthew Spoors (Wanneroo).

Outs: Adam Voges (retired), Nathan Rimmington (returned to QLD), Ryan Duffield, Josh Nicholas, Liam O’Connor (not retained).

Cricket Australia Contract

Ashton Agar

Hilton Cartwright

Mitchell Marsh

State Contract

Cameron Bancroft

Jason Behrendorff

William Bosisto

Nathan Coulter-Nile *

Cameron Green #

Joshua Inglis #

Michael Klinger

Simon Mackin

Shaun Marsh *

David Moody

Joel Paris

Jhye Richardson

D’Arcy Short ^

Marcus Stoinis

Ashton Turner

Andrew Tye

Jonathan Wells

Sam Whiteman

Rookie contract

Alex Bevilaqua

Jake Carder -

Kyle Gardiner

Clint Hinchliffe

Matthew Kelly

Matthew Spoors

* Did not retain Cricket Australia contract.

# Elevated from State Rookie to Full contract during 2016-17, with Full contract retained.

^ Elevated from WACA Academy to Full contract during 2016-17, with Full contract retained.

- Held State Contract for 2016-17, moved to Rookie Contract.

a magnificent squad! getting the orange lanyard for the waca membership this season, and I truly hope that with a squad of this calibre, the shield is ours this summer!

a magnificent squad! getting the orange lanyard for the waca membership this season, and I truly hope that with a squad of this calibre, the shield is ours this summer!

Would be nice to not have our fast bowlers decimated by injuries for a change.

Would be nice to not have our fast bowlers decimated by injuries for a change.

Yes absolutely. But the opportunity afforded to the next guy in the line as a result (who comes in and grabs his chance) has been a strength too. Hopefully will still get that through the likes of NCN, Behrendorff & Paris' form being rewarded with national selection/

Whiteman stil having trouble with his fingers and might opt for more surgery. Would effectively rule him out for the summer.

The silver lining is for Inglis, who showed late last year he's good enough for the state level.

Ah geez that is terrible timing for him with the test keeper spot still up for grabs.

Is Klinger best XI for Shield?

1. Bancroft
2. Stoinis
3. Cartwright
4. S.Marsh
5. Turner
6. M.Marsh
7. Whiteman/Inglis
SOS captain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mitch who?!

mitch marsh? lawd...

Was an Australian under-19 captain when they won the world cup.

But I think he needs to just concentrate on playing good consistent cricket for now rather than worrying about captaincy also.

Mitch Marsh has done the job with the Scorchers before and done it well. However he's in the really awkward position of being a senior player who probably isn't secure in the shield side.

Turner seems far more established in the shield side than Mitch.

So if they do want to go the Mitch route it would be better to give Shaun the captaincy for a year or 2.

I'm also not really a fan of giving the state captaincy to players you know won't be able to play half the games and Mitch is still in the ODI and T20 frame. Shaun looks like his international career is winding down, so seems the more stable choice for me.

I'm also not really a fan of giving the state captaincy to players you know won't be able to play half the games and Mitch is still in the ODI and T20 frame. Shaun looks like his international career is winding down, so seems the more stable choice for me.

Re Shaun, it helps to at least have the intelligence to be able to spell your own name correctly to assume a captaincy role.

Mitch seems too immature and erratic as a player to be captain. Shaun Marsh is the most likely experienced hand, otherwise Turner seems to be being groomed for responsibility.

Mitch being given the captaincy reminds me of Damien Martyn getting the gig when he was dropped from the test team early in his career.

As you said is too immature and erratic at this stage, needs to work on his consistency and doesn't need the extra pressure of captaincy.

Mitch being given the captaincy reminds me of Damien Martyn getting the gig when he was dropped from the test team early in his career.

As you said is too immature and erratic at this stage, needs to work on his consistency and doesn't need the extra pressure of captaincy.

Could be the making of him...or could ruin him

It took Marto a good few years before he got his mojo back, wasted time.

To be honest I don't think that would happen now days. IF he can post a few big scores they will have him back in quick as. Mar to had to try to smash back into a super team..whilst also having blokes in the shield posting 1000 runs a season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back