Opinion What are we becoming (the effects of this saga on us supporters and our values)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next person who questions whether another poster here is a supporter or even justifies others' behaviour in doing so will be getting a card.

Sick to death of it. Grow up and deal with people havng a different opinion.

The next person who questions whether another poster here is a supporter or even justifies others' behaviour in doing so will be getting a card.

Sick to death of it. Grow up and deal with people havng a different opinion.

Grow up and recognize that this board is more than the rules put in place. Cancel my account - I expected more of you.

I hear a lot of what you're saying Ogg. I think given that we all come together as a club, you see someone else in red and black and you automatically recognise a kindred spirit. I know I did.

But sometimes things happen that challenge this, and remind you that it's just that, and only that, which brings us together: the footy club. Other than that we may have absolutely nothing at all in common, and that's often revealed in times of crisis as people react differently.

In terms of sporting clubs I think this is particularly true of contemporary AFL football in Melbourne. Stereotypes remain fun, but the generalisations melted away years ago. AFL clubs in Melbourne are not divided by class, status, industry or geography, and they haven't been for a very long time. Social mobility and our relatively equal opportunity society got rid of that years ago. We have 9 clubs based in the CBD with support from all over. We don't share identity any more. It's just a wakeup moment.

It happened for me first of all in 2010. I couldn't stand Knights as a coach, he was incredibly incompetent, but there were a few truths I stuck with: he WAS our coach, and we respect that senior position at our football club, who like any other decent bloke (which he was), deserved basic decency at all times. And we DO support the team, no matter how much we hate what they're being asked to do out on the grass.

I guess you form your own idea of what an Essendon supporter is based on your own identity, and when that's challenged it's a shock. I was appalled to see Knights walking out to quarter time huddles at Etihad, being showered by some of the most vicious and disgraceful personal abuse one would ever want to hear... from people wearing black and red. It broke my heart to look down on the crowd at home games late in the season and see bay after bay of empty seats in the members sections. I couldn't believe these people didn't want to support the team who were doing it tough - they're only interested in winning.

Likewise through this whole god forsaken cluster*, at times I've been appalled by behaviour of some supporters.

Yet that's the way it is, so you ask yourself (which you evidently have) why you follow. For me it's the team and the club and the 140 years that represents... not the other supporters. You would hope people can always adopt common courtesies, but that's a wider societal thing as much as anything, people struggle to accept other opinions.

My advice would be to stick fat and go along and support the 22 each week. I'm there for them, not for the other 40k randoms sitting there with me.

Also, the point made about the vocal minority is a very, very valid one.

This whole saga for me has forced me to re-think my commitment to the club and the sport I love. There a vile dickheads everywhere, not just AFL and part of the essendon fan base. All the s**t from the usual suspects can really drag you down. The AFL, the club the media, the jerks at work.

Anyway, whilst in contemplation of my commitment, enroute to work I just happened to drive past Tulla last week during an open training session. Went in and stood on the side. Very small crowd there, but I stood there silently and watched for 30 minutes. Whilst there I made my decision to once again recommit to the club.

What I saw I cant really put into words but it cleared my mind of all the s**t and wrongs that has or has not occurred.

I think alot of us passionate supporters need to clear their heads at some stage, and for some it may take a little longer and thats cool.

Didnt Sheed's have a saying about barrackers and supporters? Im still a supporter and I hope the people that have been lost over the last few years, return when they are ready.

An individual member chooses to not renew membership for 2015 - their choice, and their reasons are frankly none of my business.

I choose to renew my membership for 2015 - my choice and my business.

This thread, to be honest, is a poison chalice - I doubt anything good or constructive will come of it.

This is the 'pot kettle black' thread.

I read every day, every hour and nearly every minute, that members will resign if Hird is sacked. This has been the whole foundation of BB for nearly 2 years.

I don't care who coaches the club - You support the coach of the day, and then you support the next coach, and the next coach and the cycle continues.

Still think we need one generic thread covering all subjects - Then posts get lost in the mists of time - Though life will be tough for the MODS.

Yeah, I don't think any good is going to come from this thread remaining open.

Ogg Cat has made his call for his own reasons, as is his right. A lot don't agree, for varying reasons, and that's their right.

Life goes on regardless, but I'm not convinced a discussion free of malice can be had here. The last page certainly appears to support that.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back