Discussion What do other clubs' supporters think of the St Kilda FC ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Saint Kilda comrades.

With the exception of Carlton, I am a big supporter of all foundational Victorian Clubs and would give money to any of them to ensure their survival.

I admire any Sainters supporter, considering the meagre ROI over the years. Truth to tell, I am staggered that you have so many supporters - that is a testimony to your fidelity - and perhaps your fertility as well! It is admirable.

There is no running away from the fact, however, that you have been accursed since 1896. All the evidence points to its existence. Lady Luck has never thrown you a bone. When Spider got injured in the 1997 PF, I already knew what the result was going to be in the following week . . . . . .

One could make the same pronouncement re Fremantle: accursed from the moment of conception.

The football gods allowed you to win by the barest margins in 1966 because you were playing a side that had a greater curse on it. They were never going to allow you to play the Dogs in 1997.

I say this with no pleasure whatsoever. It would have been a great result if you had beaten the Crowbots in 97 or the Handbaggers this year.

I do not know how you exorcise this curse. Drafting party-boys like Lovett is surely not going to reverse the dynamic.

Where does this leave your club? Sad to say, you're making up the numbers, but not in the usual pejorative sense of that phrase.

I always welcome invective - and I will deal with it accordingly - but I would much rather hear a refutation of my thesis.

Biffinator.

I was always taught to respect the opposition, even if it was Essendon or Port Adelaide, or god forbid......Collingwood. For without an opposing team, you would only have a training session to attend.
What I love to see most is a good hard competitive game of footy.....sure i love it when my team wins....but I know they dont always win. If they won all of the time, no-one would turn up to play against them.
The thing that separates footy from soccer is that supporters from 2 rival clubs can get on the same tram and generally have a good chat about the footy and their respective clubs......soccer on the other hand is full of louts and thugs....at least in the UK it would seem.

As for the Saints, I was sure hoping they would win last year.....to get that monkey off the back.....but then hoping that they would go into hibernation for another 50 years.....hehe

Good luck for 2010....but Carn the Hawks
Hey......and its about time we won one against you lot.......this year the Silks/Miller cup is ours ok........then for the premiership cup.....

Gotta love it when minorities are made into majorities...

Hm one thing that erks me about the Saints is that once they're in a Grand Final they expect to win it, almosted gift wrapped.

I like the Saints, and have done since the Sheldon era. I was hoping to hell you won this year.

Ill never forgive you for 97 however :p

Hm one thing that erks me about the Saints is that once they're in a Grand Final they expect to win it, almosted gift wrapped.
I saw very little sign of that this year. We were underdogs according to most people; I remember the polls of people on here were favouring Geelong at about 2-1 before the match.

Our supporters were hopeful, we'd seen one of our best ever sides have a great season, but we knew Geelong would give us a great game. I certainly don't believe that Saints fans felt we were any more likely to win than Cats fans felt they were.

Sure, every team has a percentage of arrogant supporters who believe it's their right to win games, but I find it impossible to believe that the Saints have more than some other teams (Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn to name a few).

Geelong.....what a looser of a place of the world to live, have no idea of who they are, what they stand for, a totally bewillered community and team. Its one of the great mystery's of life is how have they managed to jag two flags recently. They are indeed like a bunch of farmers who have lucked out on a few good years of decent rains. Have you everseen a bunch of father / son picks converge in one team. It still makes me sick thinking of the brilliant Dawson smother on Abblet, freakish diversion onto the foot of Scarlett, that miraculously bounces into Abblet's arms, like a pingpong competition except there was no skill involved, just the miracle of the father/son rule. The irony is Geelong isn't even aware of their good fortune.

Of course we are aware of our good fortune. Our coach even acknowledged this on the dias on Grand Final day. But before you curse lady luck think back to the real reason why you lost that Grand Final - the six or seven shots at goal that you guys butchered. A lot of opposition supporters do say St Kilda is arrogant and the post above provides a fine example.

Personally, I reckon the Saints are a tough team that will be very hard to beat next year as I know how much a team that feels 'robbed' can come back hard with a vengeance. If you don't you just aren't fair dinkum.

regards,

REB

I must admit to not agreeing with Kildonan about this thread because it's almost an open invitation for people to visit our board and criticise the club.

However, what opposition supporters need to understand is that on the club boards we are providing St Kilda supporters the opportunity to have their say on a wide variety of issues.

That may sound unfair but you've got your own team boards, the main board and bay 13 to bitch and moan about St Kilda all you like.

Therefore we won't accept opposition supporters criticising our club in any way, shape or form regardless of what somebody may say about your club.

As a Crows supporter I do have a hatred for the Saints for a couple of reasons. The first being how every saint supporter I have spoken to says we were lucky to win the 97 flag because the Saints were undermanned which is a crock if you look at who was out for the Crows. On top of this is the hatchet job you did on the "Messiah" Malcolm Blight was inecusable, especially when he was replaced by cornflakes who was utterly useless. So yes, I was extremely happy when you guys lost and I dont particulary like Geelong either.

I do hope this is not taken as trolling as this wasnt the intention given the post was basically asking what other supporters think of the saints and I am just being honest.

- re: 97 GF. saints were undermanned due to NO ruck division
- re: blight. blight was gone by the time we got him as a coach. he wasn't the messiah...... he was just a naughty boy by then. im sick of crow supporters banging on about this like its a personal "insult" to them.

Much as I try not to I actually like St Kilda a bit and have always had a soft spot for them. Probably because a lot of people I know and like / respect are supporters.

The comparative lack of success is a bit of a mystery, I am not that old so my historical view is limited mostly to the draft / cap era, my only conclusion is that the recent lack of success is a bit of a statistical anomaly like the recent run of 90's in the Aus cricket team and what goes around will come around. Perhaps what you need is the football equivalent of Shane Watson's dropped catch on 99 (goal umpiring stuff up in your favour perhaps?) , a bit of luck and all will be well.

Were probably my second or third favorite team in the 90's, still cant forgive you for 97 though. For three reasons

1) Harvey - deserved a premiership medallion. Let him down big time
2) Stan Alves - I rate him one of the best football thinkers, deserved a longer coaching run and success
3) Adelaide. For God's sake, why????? Why????????

The Saints seem to have good systems and processes in place now and realistically success should come. Lyon may not be the most charismatic, and the Saints rarely play charismatic football, but that is how you more often than not win premierships. As someone who lived in Geelong through the late 80's early 90's I would say most people there definitely wished Geelong played with less flair and more system. Anyone who professes a lack of respect for StKilda circa 2010 is either daft or worried. For what its worth, I think this is your year.

There is actually only really one Victorian club I simply cannot stand, and interestingly I do not have any friends or even know anyone I vaguely respect who support this club. Go figure.

Despite my best attempts to find something redeemable I find this club and all its supporters insufferably smug, condescending, petty, malicious, whiny, cheating oxygen thief bath slime. I feel polluted even by the unreasoning hate they generate in me, let alone their presence. I try to resist , I try to be a good person, but the thoughts of alienation and horror they conjure up keep returning like swallows to Capostrano bringing the equivalent of little cargoes of bubonic plague for my soul.

Sorry for that rant. I think I'll go lie down now.

There is actually only really one Victorian club I simply cannot stand, and interestingly I do not have any friends or even know anyone I vaguely respect who support this club. Go figure.

Despite my best attempts to find something redeemable I find this club and all its supporters insufferably smug, condescending, petty, malicious, whiny, cheating oxygen thief bath slime. I feel polluted even by the unreasoning hate they generate in me, let alone their presence. I try to resist , I try to be a good person, but the thoughts of alienation and horror they conjure up keep returning like swallows to Capostrano bringing the equivalent of little cargoes of bubonic plague for my soul.

Sorry for that rant. I think I'll go lie down now.

I don't like Carlton either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back