Food, Drink & Dining Out What do you call the evening meal?

Remove this Banner Ad

To me dinner is the main meal of the day so if you can have dinner at lunch time if that's your main meal. When we were growing up mum used to make roast dinner for lunch on Sundays.

Doesn't really bother me which one I call it, depends on the situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's one of those alternative names that used to be class based. I read an etymology article once where it listed a whole bunch of words that were originally 'upper class' and their 'working class' alternatives. A few of the ones I can remember were dinner/tea, ill/sick, arthritis/rheumatism and Scotch/Scottish.

Obviously that distinction no longer really exists, and a few words (like Scotch and rheumatism) have all but disappeared.

It's one of those alternative names that used to be class based. I read an etymology article once where it listed a whole bunch of words that were originally 'upper class' and their 'working class' alternatives. A few of the ones I can remember were dinner/tea, ill/sick, arthritis/rheumatism and Scotch/Scottish.

Obviously that distinction no longer really exists, and a few words (like Scotch and rheumatism) have all but disappeared.

I was invited out to dinner by a scottish man but fell ill with rheumatism.

I've always called it dinner. I don't even drink tea, so come to think of it, I rarely ever even say the word :p

For some reason though, my mum has a habit of calling lunch "dinner". I don't really know why it is, but when I've been at home and my mum has made me something for lunch, more than a few times some form of the phrase "your dinner is ready" has been said.

I was invited out to dinner by a scottish man but fell ill with rheumatism.

I think its Sick to dip my Scotch Finger biscuits in Tea, but my Arthritus makes them hard to hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back