What have you liked, learnt or hated about AFL Womens Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

The women's game has been really positive. The thing is we are not going to see quality football for at least 20 yrs. These girls are the pioneers. It is not until there is a whole generation of girls who have played continuously from Auskick to Seniors that we will witness female football at a decent standard. The catch is you won't get that generation until it is on TV and getting the sponsorship etc...

I think as early as next year you'll start to see some solid improvements in the talent coming through.

Most the current crop of 17-18 year old girls involved in the womens academy would have been playing footy since the age of 5-8 years of age. Many would have played in female representative teams, at school/league/state level, and would have had far more quality coaching than the majority of the current players.

There are 33 in the AIS list (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-17/womens-academy-to-fasttrack-young-talent), which would make up about 15% of the current group of AFLW players. Take out the bottom 4-5 girls on each clubs list, and replace them with talented girls who have played the game for 5-10 years and you should start to see significant improvements.

It is one positive about the standard of play being poor, in that the improvement curve should be reasonably significant. I'd be expecting increases in quality over the next 3-5 years, although the expansion of new AFLW clubs would obviously be detrimental to it.

I think as early as next year you'll start to see some solid improvements in the talent coming through.

Most the current crop of 17-18 year old girls involved in the womens academy would have been playing footy since the age of 5-8 years of age. Many would have played in female representative teams, at school/league/state level, and would have had far more quality coaching than the majority of the current players.

There are 33 in the AIS list (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-17/womens-academy-to-fasttrack-young-talent), which would make up about 15% of the current group of AFLW players. Take out the bottom 4-5 girls on each clubs list, and replace them with talented girls who have played the game for 5-10 years and you should start to see significant improvements.

It is one positive about the standard of play being poor, in that the improvement curve should be reasonably significant. I'd be expecting increases in quality over the next 3-5 years, although the expansion of new AFLW clubs would obviously be detrimental to it.
People also forget, this was the first game.
Take a 22 year old out of suburban footy where she has played in front of a few hundred at most. Give her 2 months training, then put her in front of 10k people in a massively hyped nationally telecast game, most notable for the pressure and tackling.

Its hardly a surprise that her skills don't hold up surely? A male rookie slots into an experienced team with plenty of on field guidance and roll models.

Personally I think a lot of the players reviewing the footage will be disappointed at their skills on the basis they were well below what they are normally capable of.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

People also forget, this was the first game.
Take a 22 year old out of suburban footy where she has played in front of a few hundred at most. Give her 2 months training, then put her in front of 10k people in a massively hyped nationally telecast game, most notable for the pressure and tackling.

Its hardly a surprise that her skills don't hold up surely? A male rookie slots into an experienced team with plenty of on field guidance and roll models.

Personally I think a lot of the players reviewing the footage will be disappointed at their skills on the basis they were well below what they are normally capable of.

Add to this I think there will be a noticeable improvement by the end of the season itself. Majority of the players are in the same situation - first time in a team with this level of coaching and training. The improvement that can be had with that sort of coaching can be very quick. It's not suddenly going to become million dollar footy in 8 weeks, but I think it will be better.

Well all I can say is that two years ago we didn't have any girls playing at my local club, last year they cobbled together one team but struggled to get on the park each week and had three in the auskicks. This year we'll put two full teams on the park in different age groups.

They are coming out of the woodwork to play.

And that's Western Sydney where we supposedly have no interest in the game.

Last edited:
Autopsy of womens football is a fitting analogy of review . The womens game is a corpse and the fascination of seeing something weird and different will wear off quickly
A corpse is something is something that is dead already peabrain. You dont make any sense.

A corpse is something is something that is dead already peabrain. You dont make any sense.
Yes a corpse is something . Is something they do Autopsies on . According to the thread heading in the yellow box preceding the Title it said Autopsy . My Peabrain cant explain it to you sorry it doesnt make sense for you

Yes a corpse is something . Is something they do Autopsies on . According to the thread heading in the yellow box preceding the Title it said Autopsy . My Peabrain cant explain it to you sorry it doesnt make sense for you
If a corpse is already dead, how can you compare that to womens football? It has only just been born and the ratings and crowds show that it has started as a massive success. They use the word autopsy on here all the time and it means to openly discuss and review the topic in question. It has nothing to do with a corpse. You have made a feeble attempt to put the womens game down just for the sake of it. And say something original, if you are capbable of thinking for yourself.

If a corpse is already dead, how can you compare that to womens football? It has only just been born and the ratings and crowds show that it has started as a massive success. They use the word autopsy on here all the time and it means to openly discuss and review the topic in question. It has nothing to do with a corpse. You have made a feeble attempt to put the womens game down just for the sake of it. And say something original, if you are capbable of thinking for yourself.
I dont have to make an attempt to put it down . By the way I also hate mens netball it doesnt do it for me .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's great, it is a start. Anyone that knocks the skills or this or that, really? Enjoy the show.
This weeks game will be interesting, the double header.
1st games ends, next starts 1 hour later.
How are they going to get 20,000 out, and 20,000 in within an hour?
What if people already in want to stay?

This weeks game will be interesting, the double header.
1st games ends, next starts 1 hour later.
How are they going to get 20,000 out, and 20,000 in within an hour?
What if people already in want to stay?

As the doubters have pointed out. Charge $5 entry fee, that'll sort the logistics out.

As the doubters have pointed out. Charge $5 entry fee, that'll sort the logistics out.
I'm not a doubter, loved what I've seen.
Charging $5 still doesn't make those already inside leave straight after 1 game, in fact probably makes them more inclined to stay.
2 games within 1 hour just makes no sense.

I'm not a doubter, loved what I've seen.
Charging $5 still doesn't make those already inside leave straight after 1 game, in fact probably makes them more inclined to stay.
2 games within 1 hour just makes no sense.

Carlton Collingwood in an historic first match = full house

Carlton GWS a week later is unlikely to do the same.

A double header would ensure a reasonable sized crowd with some people wanting to watch both, while still leaving room for those only wanting to see one or the other.

I'd pay 20 bux to see a live game. It'd be at least 15 bux for a post mix at some dump sausage fest in Northbridge :D

Liked: Women
Hated: Dangerfield. Just GTFO and stick to surfing.

What I liked:
The intent. Those girls threw themselves at each other and the ball with all the intensity that AFL deserves and needs to be the spectacle that it is.

What I learned:
AFL at the highest level is a full time job. Its going to take time for what have been part time footy players to develop the skill, fitness and finesse that we have come to expect from the mens game. The mens pre season is as long as, if not longer than the womens actual season so of course there is a skill gap.

What i hated:
That the Brisbane game wasnt on FTA in QLD.
How can you say that you are trying to grow the game in QLD while missing an amazing opportunity to appeal to the current and potential local footy fans? Especially the young girls who are trying to figure out what sport to follow.

What I liked:
The intent. Those girls threw themselves at each other and the ball with all the intensity that AFL deserves and needs to be the spectacle that it is.

What I learned:
AFL at the highest level is a full time job. Its going to take time for what have been part time footy players to develop the skill, fitness and finesse that we have come to expect from the mens game. The mens pre season is as long as, if not longer than the womens actual season so of course there is a skill gap.

What i hated:
That the Brisbane game wasnt on FTA in QLD.
How can you say that you are trying to grow the game in QLD while missing an amazing opportunity to appeal to the current and potential local footy fans? Especially the young girls who are trying to figure out what sport to follow.
I suspect the AFL got all the concessions from 7 they could get.

I suspect the AFL got all the concessions from 7 they could get.

I imagine thats true but if we were going to get 2 games its still frustrating that neither was the Brisbane one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back