What is the prognosis for Geelong now with them having ASD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a cheeky thread title...but reality is were gonna kill it in 2018. Watch out comp were gonna get the lot of yas!

Backline: Henderson, Stewart, Tuohy, Bews I like. Does Taylor have a full year at full back in him, taking the best players so Henderson cam roam? Can Thurlow be a lock in Mackie's spot? Who takes the other back flank spot - Zach Guthrie, Parfitt, Cam Guthrie? It's a good but not great backline.

Forward: Hawkins FF or pushed out a bit to allow Ablett/Danger deep? Menzel keep his spot? Buzza, Stanley or just go in with Blicavs as 2nd ruck. Cockatoo, McCarthy, Parfitt, Parsons, Gregson? More than a few questions on how they set up and get forward pressure.

Midfield: The strength of the side for sure with the new big 4 and Zac Smith a handy ruck. Menegola, Blicavs, Guthrie, Scott Selwood, they have some depth as well. Another question about how they set the team up.

Chris Scott needs to lock in some young players early and make a call on how the forwards will structure to get the best out of a talented but unpredictable list.

Prognosis is if they don't win the flag in 2018 or 2019, it is a MASSIVE list management fail. By that time Taylor, Ablett will be gone, Hawkins, Selwood 31, Dangerfield 29 and likely to be slowing down.

Loaded for a flag giving away 1st rounders and sacrificed access to top end talent to do so.

Prognosis is if they don't win the flag in 2018 or 2019, it is a MASSIVE list management fail. By that time Taylor, Ablett will be gone, Hawkins, Selwood 31, Dangerfield 29 and likely to be slowing down.

Loaded for a flag giving away 1st rounders and sacrificed access to top end talent to do so.

Care to add some detail to this? Which trades are you referring to?

Ah no, we didn't have access to top end talent because we have always got end of round picks. No pick 2, pick 3 midfield for us.

That's the thing- sometimes you get lucky with your opponent. In 2016 the Giants qualified 4th, but played a home final.
A series of VIC premiers have played non VIC teams in the granny who have choked. Sometimes the cards fall your way.
Doggies last year against a seasoned Grand finalists in Sydney i wouldn't have called it a choke.

Couldn't really give a toss re the prognosis but it sure is going to be fun watching those lads run around together.

largely agree - Premierships are the exception, not the rule - every football follower knows this, even Hawthorn fans.
Regardless of our 'prognosis' for 2018, Cats fans have been given reason to hope and will have the pleasure of watching Ablett in the hoops again next year; that's a good start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doggies last year against a seasoned Grand finalists in Sydney i wouldn't have called it a choke.
Yeah I guess that is true.
Was a fantastic victory.
All flags are difficult, but it is harder to play a side that has been there before

Pretty much, its next year or nothing for the Cats.

Personally I would not have brought Ablett back.
Tend to agree. They'll get one more crack. Hawkins, Taylor, Selwood all a year older. Who knows how Ablett will go next year, it'll either be boom or bust. Geelong are renowned for trading pretty aggressively. Shifting Motlop and Lang is risk adverse considering they've brought in Ablett. You'd hope Menzel, Gregson and Ablett ban all have seasons where they kick 90 goals between them.

Geelong hasn't done this without considering that a premiership is within reach in 2018. It's a bold move, and you'd hope they'd pull it off for the sake of their supporters. I am not sure what to think re Ablett, he may very well just be really happy to be back near his family considering what they've gone through, he was clearly unhappy and stressed at the GC.

Pretty much, its next year or nothing for the Cats.

Personally I would not have brought Ablett back.
I would have but not for a second rounder. The GC should have had the decency to let him return for some 4th or 5th round picks, same as other trades that involved speculative veterans in their mid 30s minus the personal circumstances.

But they successfully squeezed out a 2nd rounder from us. So rather than showing some appreciation and gratitude for GAJ giving his best footy years, it was Geelong that had to pony up to get him back.

All I can say is that if we win a flag in the next 2 years it was worth it otherwise we will have no choice but to go for a complete rebuild that will hopefully last no more than 5 years.

Massive holes in their back line and don’t see their forward line as being super strong. Will be around the mark but not a genuine chance

They have gone all in for the present.

They are a chance if they have a dream run with injuries and their bottom six have strong years.
Basically this.. we need everything to go right, but when average teams are winning flags if that happens we have a chance.

Probably a flattering home and away record and then finals exit awaits again though.. we have more holes than Gaz can fill

Tend to agree. They'll get one more crack. Hawkins, Taylor, Selwood all a year older. Who knows how Ablett will go next year, it'll either be boom or bust. Geelong are renowned for trading pretty aggressively. Shifting Motlop and Lang is risk adverse considering they've brought in Ablett. You'd hope Menzel, Gregson and Ablett ban all have seasons where they kick 90 goals between them.

Geelong hasn't done this without considering that a premiership is within reach in 2018. It's a bold move, and you'd hope they'd pull it off for the sake of their supporters. I am not sure what to think re Ablett, he may very well just be really happy to be back near his family considering what they've gone through, he was clearly unhappy and stressed at the GC.

Good post. My assumption is based on they've let club legends in Chapman, Kelly, Bartel go with a "replenish the list attitude" and have now brought back a revered yet 34 yr old player. Mixed signals for the youth of the club, along with the supporters.

Good post. My assumption is based on they've let club legends in Chapman, Kelly, Bartel go with a "replenish the list attitude" and have now brought back a revered yet 34 yr old player. Mixed signals for the youth of the club, along with the supporters.
I think the message to Gary would be pretty firm, we are going against our youth policy here but you're a bloody legend so give us some legendary stuff next year.

Everyone is talking as if Taylor is going to just fall to s**t. Did I miss something about the year just gone by? He spent the majority of the year up forward and when he went back he was awesome. He will be fine.

And as giving away picks Geelong haven’t had any high ones for years. Missed 2 final series in something like 13 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back