What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty much the perfect unpopular opinion. Well thought out, actual unpopular opinion (ie: Hurley > Rance) and not something like 'WCE can't play at the MCG' or 'GWS got too many concessions'.

Shhh... don't ruin the bigfooty-ness...

That Marc Murphy is mentally soft and weak and crowds will target him from now on
Being pissed that someone is going after your family does not make someone mentally soft.

It makes the person doing it a gutless coward.

Kind of like making an account just to sprout it because you know what backlash will come.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Collingwoods list isn't that of a top 8 side. Buckley I think is a good coach but he will go because he does have to take some heat for the fact he has been there 5 years and the cattle honestly aren't good enough.

I think at best they're in that 7th-12th middle third. Certainly better than 17th, but the idea that they could or should be a top four side based on the list as it stands is just delusion.

When a defender drags the ball under a player and holds it there in attempt to draw a free, I think the free kick should be paid against the defender, as they are the ones who dragged it in.

We want fewer stoppages in games, not more, and rewarding defenders for this increases the number of stoppages.

Stop paying the free, defenders will stop creating stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at best they're in that 7th-12th middle third. Certainly better than 17th, but the idea that they could or should be a top four side based on the list as it stands is just delusion.

Agreed. They're definitely not a bottom 4 side and to be fair it is more neutrals that I see putting them up so high than actual Collingwood fans but I've never understood the high rating of their list over the past few years. They've got some really good pieces (Elite ruckman, one of the best collection of top 4 mids in the comp and good small/medium forward options) but they have bad KPP stocks and have done nothing to try and change that.

Agreed. They're definitely not a bottom 4 side and to be fair it is more neutrals that I see putting them up so high than actual Collingwood fans but I've never understood the high rating of their list over the past few years. They've got some really good pieces (Elite ruckman, one of the best collection of top 4 mids in the comp and good small/medium forward options) but they have bad KPP stocks and have done nothing to try and change that.
It'll take a generation for collingwood to cope with the deliberate out of bounds interpretation and interchange cap.

Pissing into the wind.

When a defender drags the ball under a player and holds it there in attempt to draw a free, I think the free kick should be paid against the defender, as they are the ones who dragged it in.

We want fewer stoppages in games, not more, and rewarding defenders for this increases the number of stoppages.

Stop paying the free, defenders will stop creating stoppages.
If the defender drags it under, it can only be a free if the player he dragged it under dived on it in the first place, and it's the diving on it they are trying to stop.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

If the defender drags it under, it can only be a free if the player he dragged it under dived on it in the first place, and it's the diving on it they are trying to stop.

If a player dives on it and it stays under him, fair enough.

But when the ball gets knocked away and the defender drags it back in, it's absurd to reward him a free kick for committing the offence they are trying to stamp out.

Rockliff being a stat padder is not a new or unpopular opinion.

The real issue is that people are unable to look at players without going full David King and rating them by pressure acts and metres gained and whatever bullshit stat of the day is in vogue.

If Rockliff was on our list he'd be in our side. Easily. 17 other clubs could say the same. But leading the DT rankings doesn't make him the best player or best mid. Is he top 5? Top 10? Top 20?

Top 5 ranked midfielders plus top ranked ruckman:

C: Z Merrett Adams M Murphy
Foll: Martin, Rockliff, Tom Mitchell

OR

C: Martin Selwood Pendlebury
Foll: Grundy, Dangerfield, Bontempelli

5 mids outside the top 10 plus the next highest ranked ruckman.

Anyone who would prefer the first 6 should give up watching footy forever.

Forget any stats, has anyone seriously ever looked at their fixture and seen that they are playing Brisbane next week and then thought oh s**t that Rockliff bloke is playing. The boys are really going to have to look hard at containing his influence on the contest?

Forget any stats, has anyone seriously ever looked at their fixture and seen that they are playing Brisbane next week and then thought oh s**t that Rockliff bloke is playing. The boys are really going to have to look hard at containing his influence on the contest?

Bit of a ridiculous comment considering he is only 1 of 22

Don't care if the AFL wants to change the rules between seasons, apparently that's controversial

If a player dives on it and it stays under him, fair enough.

But when the ball gets knocked away and the defender drags it back in, it's absurd to reward him a free kick for committing the offence they are trying to stamp out.
If the ball is completely out, and gets dragged back under, it's supposed to be a free against that player now. Its only when the tackler can stop the ball coming competely free of the congestion in the first place that it goes against the diver.

I think fans over rate the abilities of 'stars' in general. They are not as far above average footballers as assumed.

One day someone will succeed in moneyballing AFL and identify mathematically the players with the most influence on games. Think this list will cause everyone to lose their s**t.

I think fans over rate the abilities of 'stars' in general. They are not as far above average footballers as assumed.

One day someone will succeed in moneyballing AFL and identify mathematically the players with the most influence on games. Think this list will cause everyone to lose their s**t.

I hate the term moneyball but I think Bulldogs are a pretty good example of it. I think they have a lot of s**t players who wouldn't stand out in other teams. But they play a beautiful style of game that gets them results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back