What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The old MRP points system with more categories and bad record penalties was much better. It allowed for more nuance in categorisation and properly punished repeat offenders. People just sooked because they don't like thinking.

Now there's barely any breathing room between a slight misjudgment and a genuine dog act. Everything is one week or two if there is enough force. As a result it's now both far too easy to get suspended for low level offences and far too hard to suspend a player for long because of a genuinely bad offence.

43,000 for Richmond v Dockers at the mcg.The crowds and revenue goes way down when interstate teams play in Vic.
I would divide the AFL into two conferences Victoria and the rest.Each team in each conferance plays each other twice in their conferance and eight in the other or four if your victorian.The vic teams road trips can be done in two or four week blocks - two weeks and two games in NSW then two weeks and two games in Qld alternating to W A of SA the following year

Players should be fined but they should be like local footy club fines.

Jesse Hogan should have to buy the whole team a coffee after training or do the Tuesday morning session in a pink tutu or something for his dive against Carlisle.

You are a twat. Can I give you one to the throat and see how you go?

43,000 for Richmond v Dockers at the mcg.The crowds and revenue goes way down when interstate teams play in Vic.
I would divide the AFL into two conferences Victoria and the rest.Each team in each conferance plays each other twice in their conferance and eight in the other or four if your victorian.The vic teams road trips can be done in two or four week blocks - two weeks and two games in NSW then two weeks and two games in Qld alternating to W A of SA the following year

Here is an unpopular one amongst inter-foreign-staters... how about you piss off and go form a league that people want to watch and the media pays billions to cover?

"here we are at the WA Grand final in 2025. We have a huge game coming up between the... what are the teams again, Bob? I forgot."
"Me too, Barry, but it will be a cracker."
"That's right, Bill. And don't let anyone say that this isn't a national comp. Glenelg has promised to join next year if they can afford the bus fair."
"Good on them. What champs"
"Yes Bill, and just because out 50 best players went east to play for millions rather than free bus fairs and a maccas voucher doesn't mean we aren't the 4th best comp in the country. Sure there is the AFL, the VFL and the WALF, but after that only we can stand tall. Except for the Eastern Districts - they are pretty good. And Tassie. But are they really part of Australia?"
"Gotta cut you off, Barry. They are about to bounce the ball. This will cause massive celebrations in the streets for the winning team. Until 9PM when the town shuts, and everyone goes home to see Carlton smashed in another night game."

*ball bounces and two 5'10 ruckman go at it*

Here is an unpopular one amongst inter-foreign-staters... how about you piss off and go form a league that people want to watch and the media pays billions to cover?

"here we are at the WA Grand final in 2025. We have a huge game coming up between the... what are the teams again, Bob? I forgot."
"Me too, Barry, but it will be a cracker."
"That's right, Bill. And don't let anyone say that this isn't a national comp. Glenelg has promised to join next year if they can afford the bus fair."
"Good on them. What champs"
"Yes Bill, and just because out 50 best players went east to play for millions rather than free bus fairs and a maccas voucher doesn't mean we aren't the 4th best comp in the country. Sure there is the AFL, the VFL and the WALF, but after that only we can stand tall. Except for the Eastern Districts - they are pretty good. And Tassie. But are they really part of Australia?"
"Gotta cut you off, Barry. They are about to bounce the ball. This will cause massive celebrations in the streets for the winning team. Until 9PM when the town shuts, and everyone goes home to see Carlton smashed in another night game."

*ball bounces and two 5'10 ruckman go at it*

Not sure Vic wins out in a comp split.

Hey, can we get back to unpopular opinions.

I quite like Eddie's commentating (as against everything else he does in footy).

In a world of Dwayne, Basil and Bruce it's a low bar, but he keeps it simple. Doesn't gush and drop cringey one-liners. Doesn't bore us with irrelevant stats and stale anecdotes. OK, the jumper-pulling at 3/4 time last weekend got him talking about the battle of Windy Hill, but hey we can all dream can't we?

Also he manages to mangle the language in amusing ways. He called a mark by Heeney "absolutely sensational and magnificent."
Eddie is a great commentator but boy do I hate hearing him speak football outside of that sphere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Vic wins out in a comp split.

There would never a be Vic vs non-Vic split.

Any split (which is near impossible anyway given how the league is set up) would be about the dollar and big Vic clubs like Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn etc. aren't going to punt West Coast, Adelaide etc. if they know what is good for them.

Yes yes and he probably paid for Harley’s lines as well. It’s never anyone else’s fault, it’s the captain’s. No grown adult has to be responsible for anything they do because they kick a bag of air around.
Young men make stupid decisions agreed.

Leaders are supposed to guide and mentor them so they get through that stage of their life and help mould them into good people; not my fault your boy wasn’t up for it.

Young men make stupid decisions agreed.

Leaders are supposed to guide and mentor them so they get through that stage of their life and help mould them into good people; not my fault your boy wasn’t up for it.

And considering the issue arose during his first season - Ablett’s first as captain, even if you believe that this is somehow his responsibility, isn’t it fair to give them time to fix any issue or become better at the job?

Look at your f**+@rd captain from the 90s.

What sort of culture is fostered by someone f***ing his best mate’s wife?

Or doesn’t that count?

Twit.

And considering the issue arose during his first season - Ablett’s first as captain, even if you believe that this is somehow his responsibility, isn’t it fair to give them time to fix any issue or become better at the job?

Look at your f**+@rd captain from the 90s.

What sort of culture is fostered by someone f***ing his best mate’s wife?

Or doesn’t that count?

Twit.
Of course it counts.

Nice #whataboutism by the way.

Of course it counts.

Nice #whataboutism by the way.

You’re blaming one grown adult for the transgressions of other grown adults. I can pretty much say whatever the hell I want.

Do I think Ablett was a gun captain? Not really. Is it his fault that sort of s**t happened? Of course it isn’t.

Interesting that Ablett gets singled out, by the way, but Matthew Boyd who’s player called the kid in question a black c*** is seemingly blameless

Justin Sherman played 6 years at the Lions then joined the Bulldogs for the 2011 season.

Bit rich to blame the leadership of Matthew Boyd who had just taken over the captaincy of the team Sherman just joined for Sherman's behaviour as a 24 year old.

Which is, among other reasons, why I didn’t blame Boyd for Sherman’s behaviour.

What about his ruckwork is better than Grundy?

Marking doesn't really have anything to do with actual ruckwork either, and mark totals can be as much a result of situations and game style rather than inate skill (hence why we see non-key position players leading the league in marks over the last couple of years).

Well for a start Gawn averages more hitouts, hitouts to advantage, hitout to advantage % and hitout win %. Plus he also averages more ruck contests ... a fundamental part of being a ruckman is actually being one right.

So back at you ... what about Grundy's "ruck work" is better than Gawn's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back