Sports What would you choose? Professional cricketer or footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably cricket for the international travel aspect and it's less physically demanding than football unless you're a fast bowler, being a top order batsman and fielding in the slips would be the way to go. Earning potential is better in cricket too, especially if you're good at T20s, and there's probably more opportunity to have a social life with cricket than football.

Having said that I would love to play AFL for St Kilda and I have the usual dreams of taking a screamer and kicking the winning goal in a GF to win a flag.

Football definitely because I don't have the patience that is needed for test cricket, I would slog the living s**t out of the ball.

There is literally nothing I'd rather do than be a premiership player for Essendon. But if it was for any other club I dunno, if I wasn't in the top 14 cricketers in the country probably still footy

- Clarke gets more money than any AFL player.
- Girls love him more than any individual footballer.
- Anyone with half a brain knows who Clarke is. His is known worldwide.

??
I don't think a random bloke in South Carolina knows who is. Even heavy sports fans in the US wouldn't know who he is.

Id go for cricket. more chance to see the world and the better game :)

I don't think a random bloke in South Carolina knows who is. Even heavy sports fans in the US wouldn't know who he is.
The half a brain comment was directed to Australians.

Anyway, India, Britain, parts of the middle east, etc would know Clarke compared to just Australia for AFL players.

Laugh at the higher profile thing. Within Australia, maybe, but outside it? The names of the Australian national cricket side are known around the world. What more could you want?

I know being a foreigner who has no real love for AFL, my opinion doesn't really count, but I'd much rather go for global celebrity status than well known local. AFL (I refuse to call it football) doesn't have the profile internationally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say it would. Five points down, siren gone, 55 out on the last Saturday in September. You hit it. You're God.

I think the Aussie cricket team are a bunch of absolute pricks and overconfident, unsportsmanlike pricks. I don't mind cricket, but it's a very casual thing for me. Whereas I love footy. There's no choice.

But what about this: Footy, cricket, or Premier League soccer? Pretend you're Brad Green – he was captaining Tasmania in cricket and got a trial and was offered a contract at Man United. Sure he's ugly as sin, but that'd give you something to think about. It'd be tough, but I'd say a regular for a huge soccer side > a regular for a successful AFL side.

Please keep any talk of that soft as s**t round ball game out of here thanks - footy and cricket only! ;)

Depends how good you are. A test ton and then fielding for 2 days probably outdoes 2 hours of running on the weekend.

I wake up sorer after a day of bowling and fielding than after any footy game. Bowling is not a natural thing for the body to do!

Clarke would get more than 1mil? wouldnt have thought so
and I meant in Aus for higher profile
Even not playing IPL, absolutely more than $1m when including bonuses and endorsements.

For me, it would have been cricket easily if I had any skill at any sport. Not because of the money, and certainly not the travel (it seems great, but an international cricketer's travel is airport, hotel, training, hotel, match, hotel, airport - the days of seeing any of the country you're in are long gone). Even longevity wouldn't really come into it, as I would have been a bowler. Its just always been the game I loved playing the most, despite being utterly hopeless.

T
Even not playing IPL, absolutely more than $1m when including bonuses and endorsements.

For me, it would have been cricket easily if I had any skill at any sport. Not because of the money, and certainly not the travel (it seems great, but an international cricketer's travel is airport, hotel, training, hotel, match, hotel, airport - the days of seeing any of the country you're in are long gone). Even longevity wouldn't really come into it, as I would have been a bowler. Its just always been the game I loved playing the most, despite being utterly hopeless.

BRW rich list has 3 cricketers in the top 16 Aussie sports earners. No footballers in top 50.

Almost no-one outside of the AFL states would know who Dane Swan is if they stood beside him in bar. Clarke would be recognised anywhere is this country and many others.

Almost no-one outside of the AFL states would know who Dane Swan is if they stood beside him in bar. Clarke would be recognised anywhere is this country and many others.

They'd look at his tough stickers and call him names.

Laugh at the higher profile thing. Within Australia, maybe, but outside it? The names of the Australian national cricket side are known around the world. What more could you want?

I know being a foreigner who has no real love for AFL, my opinion doesn't really count, but I'd much rather go for global celebrity status than well known local. AFL (I refuse to call it football) doesn't have the profile internationally.

If you have no real love for AFL, why are you posting on a forum fully dedicated to it?

Does anybody here actually know any cricketers? They lead the most debauched life and get away with so much more than any footballer ever does.

Shield cricketers have at least one root in every state, and that's just the married ones. Internationals have them in every city in every country they visit.

Honestly most cricketers make Rugby League players look like alter boys.

They booze, root and get away with things much much more and train much much less. Give me the life of a cricketer any day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back