Remove this Banner Ad

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Mitch Marsh and Brett Jones (former defender for WCE premiership player) are examples of two sportsmen who have had to decide between playing footy or cricket for a career. Think Delidio did as well.

Mitch is a gun footballer and would likely have played AFL. He has the physique. However he chose cricket as he has been touted as being Autralia's next allrounder, and is amazingly talented.

Brett Jones is a gun bat, and was one of the more talented batsman going round the WACA 1st grade comp. Has smashed me around. He is still involved heavily with UWA Cricket Club I understand. Was the president.

If you were lucky enough to have a choice, what would you do?

Cricket:
- chance to travel the world
- longer career (physical wise)
- chance to earn big $$$ in IPL etc.
- Prestige of representing your country

Football
- More 'chances' of AFL rep (squads much larger than cricket squads and more teams)
- Big $$$ with wages and sponsorship as compared to domestic cricket
- More fame? Fame limited to Australian XI for cricket. AFL players well known
- More enjoyable game???

Just wondering what people thoughts are. Id take cricket cos I live and breathe it.

Probably footy. A lot more of a rock star vibe from pro footy players. Cricketer's mistakes are also way more amplified than footy players, most of the time anyway. Get clean bowled in cricket, replays all week. Kick out on the full in footy, unless it directly changes the game it's unlikely to be looked at after about 5 minutes.

Coniglio is another, was a ******* good cricketer. Think he chose footy because the road to the top is a lot harder in cricket where as footy he goes straight into the big time.

I'd go cricket. That's purely because I love the game with passion. Hitting a test century on boxing day or at lords? Wouldnt get much better than that.

Footy your window is about 17 - mid to late 20's. Even playing amatuers, it seems just yesterday I was young and spritely, now Im 29 and already feel really old and thinking about retirement and referred to as a 'veteren'.

Cricketers dont really reach their full potential till their late 20's/early 30's. Window seems to be about 18/19 to mid 30's.

Tough choice now, but going back a decade or so, cricket for sure. It's a bit hectic now, but back in the day, there were fewer, longer international tours. A few tests with plenty of breaks and travelling around England playing against counties, it seemed like one big holiday really.

Longer career (esp batsmen) and you don't hobble around like a cripple when you reach your fifties.

It comes down to how good at cricket you could be imo

The top 15 crickets in Australia would be on a better packet than most footballers (bar the converts/ablett etc because of the current market) but the 16th cricketer wouldnt get close to an avg afl wage

If you honestly believed you had the bones to become a regular Australian player, Cricket ainec

The travel alone would be incredible.

If you were just ok at both, then football.

If i could be a top 30 player in AFL i would take that over being in the top 11 cricketers in Australia

There travel is great but seems to much they never get a break and its just a boring game great money to be made in the IPL though

Tough choice now, but going back a decade or so, cricket for sure. It's a bit hectic now, but back in the day, there were fewer, longer international tours. A few tests with plenty of breaks and travelling around England playing against counties, it seemed like one big holiday really.

Longer career (esp batsmen) and you don't hobble around like a cripple when you reach your fifties.

Tommy Hafey is doing alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy your window is about 17 - mid to late 20's. Even playing amatuers, it seems just yesterday I was young and spritely, now Im 29 and already feel really old and thinking about retirement and referred to as a 'veteren'.

Cricketers dont really reach their full potential till their late 20's/early 30's. Window seems to be about 18/19 to mid 30's.

That's your problem. You shouldn't be feeling really old at 29, you're not.

If I was to be in the best 11 in cricket for as long as Punter it would be hard to pass up. But the thought of winning finals and grand finals with your best mates is an unreal feeling especially at the G. But then winning the Ashes in Australia and making a ton infront of your home crowd would be amazing.

Almost impossible to pick.

Coniglio is another, was a ******* good cricketer. Think he chose footy because the road to the top is a lot harder in cricket where as footy he goes straight into the big time.

I'd go cricket. That's purely because I love the game with passion. Hitting a test century on boxing day or at lords? Wouldnt get much better than that.
I say it would. Five points down, siren gone, 55 out on the last Saturday in September. You hit it. You're God.

I think the Aussie cricket team are a bunch of absolute pricks and overconfident, unsportsmanlike pricks. I don't mind cricket, but it's a very casual thing for me. Whereas I love footy. There's no choice.

But what about this: Footy, cricket, or Premier League soccer? Pretend you're Brad Green – he was captaining Tasmania in cricket and got a trial and was offered a contract at Man United. Sure he's ugly as sin, but that'd give you something to think about. It'd be tough, but I'd say a regular for a huge soccer side > a regular for a successful AFL side.

I say it would. Five points down, siren gone, 55 out on the last Saturday in September. You hit it. You're God.

I think the Aussie cricket team are a bunch of absolute pricks and overconfident, unsportsmanlike pricks. I don't mind cricket, but it's a very casual thing for me. Whereas I love footy. There's no choice.

But what about this: Footy, cricket, or Premier League soccer? Pretend you're Brad Green – he was captaining Tasmania in cricket and got a trial and was offered a contract at Man United. Sure he's ugly as sin, but that'd give you something to think about. It'd be tough, but I'd say a regular for a huge soccer side > a regular for a successful AFL side.

OK.

Obviously it would be better playing for an EPL side, money and fame would be ridiculous, could literally do & buy whatever you like whereas it's somewhat limited if you're a gun footballer.

I'd say scoring a winner to win a soccer world cup would probably be the pinnacle in international sport (maybe 100m olympic champion?)

Cricket. Travel the world (always going to places in summer as well - Windies, South Africa etc.) , bigger earning potential (If you get big enough you get that juicy IPL contract, plus with the Indian market your advertising worth can be much greater - and even in Australia, you appeal to both northern and southern states), International Competition, longer career.

Cricket. The travel aspect as well as representing your country.

Yes, but you will most likely never be in this sort of situation. Every time you go out to bat in cricket you get the chance to experience this sort of satisfaction.

Probably cricket as well, I guess. There is less chance of a critical injury (in general), more opportunity to sample the diverse cultural offerings of Eve's offspring (amirite?) and you don't have to shower with as many guys. You probably don't even have to shower with any other guys at all, which is always a plus. But then you could get choked for preferring to be with your girlfriend :(

Most people on a football forum will choose football as I would.
1. More money
2. Girls love you
3. Higher profile
what more could you want
- Clarke gets more money than any AFL player.
- Girls love him more than any individual footballer.
- Anyone with half a brain knows who Clarke is. His is known worldwide.

??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back