What's the best season by a midfielder since the 2000s

What's the best season by a midfielder since the 2000s?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol no Robert Harvey option.
Harvey's best season
Judd probably deserves it, but Kouta at his absolute peak was the most unstoppable midfielder seen in modern history. Injuries cruelled him but there was simply nothing the opposition could do to stop him for a solid 1/2 a season. The type of performance that, as an opposition supporter, you'd just watch and marvel at because it was impossible to hate him.
Kouta was a 99kg machine. Nobody could tag him in 2000 because he had pure strength and outweighed his opponents by 10-15kg. He can play any position and dominate with ease and his season reminds me of Fyfe's 2015 season due to their strength and dominance.

Ablett's 2014 was out of this world. It's a shame that a nothing footballer like Macaffer deprived us of seeing more of such a ridiculous season and also hampered his following years.
Ablett from 2013-2014 leaves daylight before the rest and that includes Danger, Judd, Swan, Martin and Fyfe....it's not even a discussion point unless you're talking about who comes next?

Are you just looking at the Brownlow results? Because you are remembering it wrong.

Swan's 2010 was easily his best season. He won the coaches award and the MVP in a canter. He won nearly all the media awards and was short priced favourite for the Brownlow. He was still good in 2011 but was rated approximately 5-6th in the league rather than a pretty unanimous #1 (Swan won the BL in 2011 after getting votes people didn't expect to seemingly make up for him being shafted in 2010)

Similarly, Judd's 2011 was easily better than his 2010 - his 2010 Brownlow was a shock! When named AA in 2010 (on the bench) many thought it was a reputation selection and that he was lucky. In 2011, however, he was starting ruck rover, runner up in the Coaches award and won the MVP. He finished top 3 in every media award (2010 he didn't finish top 10 in any media award, coaches award, MVP, etc.).
Chris Judd really won both of his Brownlow's in the wrong years should have won them in 2006 and 2011

Shouldn't 2012 be changed to cotchin/Mitchell?
Jobe Watson does not stand anywhere near the rest of the names in the list
Lmao Jobe Watson
2006 Judd, 2009 Ablett, 2013 Ablett and 2017 Martin are the 4 standouts

Also, lol at including Jobe Watson. Replace him with Cotchin and you have yourself a poll
Originally voted Judd 2006, but changed my vote to Jobe 2012

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe was playing like a dude from another planet in 2015. His physical dominance in the air separates him from the pack IMO.

Any season between 2008 and 2014 that isn't Gary Ablett's isn't really worth considering IMO. People were mainly talking about Swan, Judd, Mitchell, Hodge and Pendlebury as contenders for best mid in the game because acknowledging Ablett got boring after a while. He was still the best.

Fyfe's run in 2015 is perhaps the best peak of a midfielder this century. Polled in 10/13 games before injury. 9 of those 10 being 3 vote games and the other being a 2 vote game.

In the three he didn't poll he managed

Round 1: 31 Disposals, 1 Goal, 7 Inside 50s, 4 Clearances, 2 Contested Marks
Round 3: 31 Disposals, 4 Tackles, 2 Goal Assists, 5 Inside 50s, 10 Clearances, 10 Score Involvements
Round 10: 26 Disposals, 1 Goal, 6 Tackles, 5 Inside 50s, 9 Clearances, 9 Score Involvements

Those were his worst games over that stretch.

Certainly the best form of any midfielder since Ablett got his shoulder smashed in.

Nowhere near Ablett's best seasons let alone the season of other mids
Ablett from 2011 - 2014 when he did his shoulder are the most outstanding seasons ever seen on a footy field. His year at Geelong 2007-2009 were also incredible, but the game has never seen such dominance by a single player as we did in 2013.
Whatever bias people have against Ablett, his ability on the field is unsurpassed in footy history during this time. He has a lot of haters, more fool them.

Judd probably deserves it, but Kouta at his absolute peak was the most unstoppable midfielder seen in modern history. Injuries cruelled him but there was simply nothing the opposition could do to stop him for a solid 1/2 a season. The type of performance that, as an opposition supporter, you'd just watch and marvel at because it was impossible to hate him.

I voted Kouta 2000. I’ve never seen a football play the game like that. Which is why I’d have Judd 2006 next for the same reason. He was astonishing. Such a pity neither recovered their best footy following injury.

Then I’d have Ablett 2013 and Dusty last year.

Ablett from 2011 - 2014 when he did his shoulder are the most outstanding seasons ever seen on a footy field. His year at Geelong 2007-2009 were also incredible, but the game has never seen such dominance by a single player as we did in 2013.
Whatever bias people have against Ablett, his ability on the field is unsurpassed in footy history during this time. He has a lot of haters, more fool them.
Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews both had multiple seasons better then Ablett's best, so did Garry Wilson and Bobby Skilton in teams as bad as Ablett played in from 2011 - 2014, and then you take in account to forwards Carey, Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett Sr all had far better seasons too, but no lets jizz our selves over Ablett getting a useless 30 possessions while his team gets flogged clearly there is nothing better

Jobe Watson does not stand anywhere near the rest of the names in the list
In 2006 cousins played some absolute blinders. Cousins admitted to basically a nothing pre season and the meth fuelled him.

Judd stands nowhere near to the names in that list either.

While they were trying to catch cousins. Judd got it easy
It's a team game

How could the op leave out ricciutto?

I wouldn't of voted for him if given only 1 vote. But if I was given three choices. His brownlow year would of been one.

Back