What's the best season by a midfielder since the 2000s

What's the best season by a midfielder since the 2000s?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd was on his way to having it in 2007 (had Brownlow votes in every game up until round 8), before he got injured.
Judds peak was 2007 until his groins malfunctioned. He was a fully grown man but still had his gazelle speed.

McLeod in 2001 was scintillating. Ablett in 2014 until he was injured (Abletts 2007-14 are basically the same to me and he's the greatest midfielder of all time easily). Dangerfield in 2016 is getting underrated now.

If Fyfe never got injured and kept up his 2015 form to round 14 or whatever and played 2016, 2017, 2018 at that level he'd be basically the greatest player of all time. His 2011-15 as it stands makes him a hall of famer but not a legend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judds peak was 2007 until his groins malfunctioned. He was a fully grown man but still had his gazelle speed.

McLeod in 2001 was scintillating. Ablett in 2014 until he was injured (Abletts 2007-14 are basically the same to me and he's the greatest midfielder of all time easily). Dangerfield in 2016 is getting underrated now.

If Fyfe never got injured and kept up his 2015 form to round 14 or whatever and played 2016, 2017, 2018 at that level he'd be basically the greatest player of all time. His 2011-15 as it stands makes him a hall of famer but not a legend

Very good post.

Hard to go past Dusty last year. Whilst awards aren't everything, the black-and-white facts are that he won:

1. The Brownlow Medal (considered flawed but still the highest individual award in this sport. Martin also won it with more votes than ANY other player under this voting system)

2. The AFL Coaches' Association Champion Player Award (some consider this more 'accurate' than the Brownlow)

3. The AFL Players MVP Award (prone to hype but when your peers adjudge you the best, you must be bloody good)

4. The Gary Ayres Award (award for best player in the entire finals series. Reputations are made in finals)

5. A premiership medallion (this is a team achievement but any player would give their left testicle for a flag - it's the whole point of playing. Martin was instrumental in this flag)

6. The Norm Smith Medal (Maybe Houli could've won it but Martin was one of several Tigers standouts that day. Many would happily give up two Brownlows to get a Normie it is that valuable. Being best on during the game that matters most is a worthy crowing glory for anyone's career).

7. Club best-and-fairest just to top it off casually

Taken together this is a pretty good case for saying that Dustin Martin played the most dominant individual season ever seen.

The Brownlow cops a awful lot of s**t over the decades as a shocking award and ANY award would be a better measure of a players worth/impact in that season.

Looking over the list of 18 names I'd put that two Buckley and Watson , while they had big years personally, accumulated big stats and were pretty clean, didn't deliver the WOW factor that the other 16 did .

The umpires view the game from ground level and from close up and are clearly influenced by silky skills
Of the 16 , going right back to Kouta , he wow'd us in 2000
McLeod left a highlights reel to die and turned so many games
Black come out from the shadows of high class team mates and displayed skills and poise that were sheer silk
And the list goes on
And when I saw an aging Ben Cousins I went 'oh yeah I can see why he has a Charlie' and that list just keeps giving
Right down to Martin , last week v GWS I saw him control a ball , absolute mongrel bounce , one handed on the run , dodge two tacklers and hit a team mate on that tit 45 away ,a lot of traffic, absolutely insane skills , hardly a ripple went thru the crowd , I saw at the time , he's the only player on the ground that can do that , including the ' high pick list' from GWS

Watching geel Melb last night lil Gaz and Danger have that standout quality still

So I'd put celebrate the list , they are all good to fantastic and add names to it that could have sat in that list with out a ripple but don't trash them or the award

I can't pick a single best midfielder , rather I nominated two to leave out , meaning I have a 16 way tie
Yeah fence sitter

The years that secured Gaz his legend status are arguably 2008-09. I'm tempted to go for 2008 despite missing a few games. He upped his handballs from 2009 on, but his level in 2008 was unreal. His 2008 raised the bar for "best player level I've ever seen", so maybe that leads to me overrating it compared to what followed and was taken for granted as just another freakish year.

Ben Cousins for mine yes Judd was great but Cousins used to get tagged the most, freeing up space. Cousins was almost impossible to tag in 2005. However my top 3 would be Cousins, Judd an Ablett.

Ablett in any of 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14

Judd in 06 is massively overrated..

Nah mate no way is Juddy overrated that year.

Judd was our X Factor for 2006, so fast and agile and gazelle like, yet 2006 was also his second best year ever for contested possessions, which people may not know. He had 324 contested possessions that year, next best in the AFL was Simon Black (no slouch at all) who had 256. And that was with Judd playing only the one game more than Black.

He was also the single biggest contributor to the West Coast Eagles having the best contested possessions differential average (over the opposition) since this stat was recorded over the course of a season. No team has beaten this CP differential average since our 2006 Flag year (something like plus 20 every game). IMO that's a pretty crazy stat, although it wasn't just Judd, he did have 85 more CPs then the next best eagle though.

He had a game (Round 5, 2006) where he set the record for CPs at the time, whilst also being the games highest goal scorer with 4 goals. In this game he also had game high tackles, game high clearances and disposals, with 2 contested marks.

Judd won the MVP in a canter that year (just quietly).

Entitled to your opinion, but opinion is all it is.
I mean that's ignoring that it was one of those times when people were mad about the result. And I was just laughing because Ablett didn't win it. (sorry read brownlow, wasn't really reading the thread)

I'm gonna say Kouta, he was crazy that year.

Back