Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it a little better than a 3/10 but it's definitely an interesting concept as much as a movie. One of the sequels added some more interesting ideas by letting you see the workers running the cube but from memory the movie itself was pretty weak, just low budget, straight to DVD stuff.

GGs ranking system is hard to wrap your head around. 3/10 isn’t what you or I would deem a 3/10 (a 3/10 for me would be a pretty terrible film).

The most 80s 80s movie is The Goonies.

Aliens on TV now, one of my absolute favourites even if Vasquez resulted in every tough no nonsense female (that wasn't a lead) being latino for the next 30 years.

Had a discussion with a mate about which is the better 80s movie: Aliens (1986) or Die Hard (1988) it's a line ball call imo.
Aliens shits on Die Hard...surely. Die Hard is hot garbage.

GGs ranking system is hard to wrap your head around. 3/10 isn’t what you or I would deem a 3/10 (a 3/10 for me would be a pretty terrible film).
Yep, my rating system (which i use for everything) is based on pinpointing 10 specific aspects related to the media being rated. For film/tv, the ten criteria are listed below...and so giving a yes/no, a 1 or 0, for each, and tallying them up. Sometimes I might give a 0.5.

Cinematography, Editing, Script, Story/Synopsis, Music, FX, Directing, Acting, Originality, Je Ne Sais Qua.

Something like that for music albums, books, artwork, how good looking men/women are, what makes a person worthwhile or not, etc etc.

Leaving nothing to arbitrary subjectivity or preconceived biases, or even personal taste, but a more methodical scientific/logical approach.

Yep, my rating system (which i use for everything) is based on pinpointing 10 specific aspects related to the media being rated. For film/tv, the ten criteria are listed below...and so giving a yes/no, a 1 or 0, for each, and tallying them up. Sometimes I might give a 0.5.

Cinematography, Editing, Script, Story/Synopsis, Music, FX, Directing, Acting, Originality, Je Ne Sais Qua.

Something like that for music albums, books, artwork, how good looking men/women are, what makes a person worthwhile or not, etc etc.

Leaving nothing to arbitrary subjectivity or preconceived biases, or even personal taste, but a more methodical scientific/logical approach.

“I just want milk that tastes like real milk...”

Aliens shits on Die Hard...surely. Die Hard is hot garbage.

Lol, terrible take.

Universally critiqued all across the industry as creating the modern action movie genre.

It's plot style has literally been replicated about 200 times since. Cliffhanger, Speed, Under Siege, Broken Arrow, The Rock, Con Air, Passanger 57 writers have all at some point admitted to ripping off the Die Hard concept.

I still prefer Aliens, but most movie critics consider Die Hard one of, if not the most influential action movie ever made.

It was also written and directed by one of the great action movie teams of all time.

Bruce Willis is one of the very few actors to transfer from basically purely a TV actor to that point, to a bonafide A-List movie star overnight. IT doesn't happen as often as you think.

Listen to the Re-Watchables regarding it, it might give you a better appreciation for it.

Last edited:
Aliens on TV now, one of my absolute favourites even if Vasquez resulted in every tough no nonsense female (that wasn't a lead) being latino for the next 30 years.

Had a discussion with a mate about which is the better 80s movie: Aliens (1986) or Die Hard (1988) it's a line ball call imo.
Me in almost every staff meeting when the boss wants to make some changes:

The most 80s 80s movie is The Goonies.
Teen Titans did a good episode paying homage to the goonies.

The yes or no is a subjective decision. Movie rating is 100% subjective IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me in almost every staff meeting when the boss wants to make some changes:

It's just classic line after classic line

Vasquez asking Hudsen if he has ever been mistaken for a man,
Ripley showing off in the forklift-robot, "where do you want it" "hahaha, Bay 12 please"
After the drop in 'Someone wake Hicks'
Without exception everything Bill Paxton says or does.

I know it goes back to the original but the sets and props have dated about as good as any movie,
The the aliens and queen alien still look great, being a real puppet just gives the queen a weight and a presence that cgi misses, especially until recently.

And more than anything they did what I wish more sequels would risk doing, they completely changed genres and then found a second chapter worth telling.

Lol, terrible take.

Universally critiqued all across the industry as creating the modern action movie genre.

It's plot style has literally been replicated about 200 times since. Cliffhanger, Speed, Under Siege, Broken Arrow, The Rock, Con Air, Passanger 57 writers have all at some point admitted to ripping off the Die Hard concept.

I still prefer Aliens, but most movie critics consider Die Hard one of, if not the most influential action movie ever made.

It was also written and directed by one of the great action movie teams of all time.

Bruce Willis is one of the very few actors to transfer from basically purely a TV actor to that point, to a bonafide A-List movie star overnight. IT doesn't happen as often as you think.

Listen to the Re-Watchables regarding it, it might give you a better appreciation for it.
You’re dreaming. All those other movies you mention were ordinary as well. And lots of great action movies pre dated and were more influential than this.

As for actors from tv, well there’s DiCaprio, Foxx, Fox, Will Smith, Carrey to name a few. The great Clint Eastwood.

Tom Hanks, Michael J Fox, Chris Pratt, Seth Rogen, Steve Carrell, Jennifer Anniston, Will Smith, Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper, John Travolta, Jennifer Garner, Denzel Washington, Robin Williams, Helen Hunt, Chris Hemsworth?

You’re dreaming. All those other movies you mention were ordinary as well. And lots of great action movies pre dated and were more influential than this.

As for actors from tv, well there’s DiCaprio, Foxx, Fox, Will Smith, Carrey to name a few. The great Clint Eastwood.

I know they are ordinary. Die Hard set the genre and hasn't been able to be replicated.

None of those names went from TV to one of the highest grossing films of the decade, especially in an action/drama genre.

Di Caprio went to 'Whats eating Gilbert grape' and 'this boys life'. He was in around 6-7 films before Romeo + Juliet and Titanic.

Will Smith is definitely another worthy one with Independance Day and Men in Black, again, like I said, the list is small and neither of them are exactly Die Hard....

Tom Hanks, Michael J Fox, Chris Pratt, Seth Rogen, Steve Carrell, Jennifer Anniston, Will Smith, Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper, John Travolta, Jennifer Garner, Denzel Washington, Robin Williams, Helen Hunt, Chris Hemsworth?

Read what I originally said.

Did anyone of them front line one of the biggest movies of the decade in their first hit? Rickman was also virtually a stage actor at that point as well with minimal TV, it was his first ever film.

The first choice actors for the role of McLane were Frank Sinatra, Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Burt Reynolds, Richard Gere, Harrison Ford and Don Johnson.

They even went to the point of barely marketing Willis in the pre-movie release, because he was a relative no name at the time. Most of the original trailers showed action sequences only, without featuring Willis.

Rickman is considered one of the best casting choices of all time, considering he was plucked out of relative obscurity and his role still ranks right up there for the best movie villains.

I don't actually even absolutely love Die Hard, but you have to respect it's place in movie history.

watched Vivarium. Cool film. Depressing though.

Last few films I've watched have been a pretty good bunch... First Reformed, High-Rise, Thirst. All good in their own way.

Read what I originally said.

Did anyone of them front line one of the biggest movies of the decade in their first hit? Rickman was also virtually a stage actor at that point as well with minimal TV, it was his first ever film.

The first choice actors for the role of McLane were Frank Sinatra, Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Burt Reynolds, Richard Gere, Harrison Ford and Don Johnson.

They even went to the point of barely marketing Willis in the pre-movie release, because he was a relative no name at the time. Most of the original trailers showed action sequences only, without featuring Willis.

Rickman is considered one of the best casting choices of all time, considering he was plucked out of relative obscurity and his role still ranks right up there for the best movie villains.

I don't actually even absolutely love Die Hard, but you have to respect it's place in movie history.

I did.

Die Hard was Willis' 2nd film of 1988, his 3rd movie with main billing and his 7th film appearance. It grossed 83 mil and was in 7th place in 1988 box office.

Back to the Future was Michael J Fox's 3 film, and his first with main billing. It grossed 210 mil and was in 1st place in 1985 box office and 8th in the entire decade.

So by your standards yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back