Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Irishman

Enjoyed it more the second time around, fell asleep at the cinema.

Robert De Niro lets the team down which is not usually the case. Not having many lines in the movie doesn’t help, I guess he was a quiet fellow. Was very stiff especially during all the fight/murder scenes. Should have used someone else but who would of played the role better?

It'd help. I was lost tbh. Didn't know what was going on.

My Brother in Law watched Mank, never seen Citizen Kane, he said it was fine, personally i cant understand what the appeal of watching Mank if youve not seen Citizen Kane would be... Additionally youd have no frame of reference for Charles Dance performance and the whole WRH stuff.

Anyway...

Mank

Its gorgeously filmed and Finch is doing all his whacky "important" stuff (old timey mics, single sound mixing etc). The film looks, sounds and feels the part of the golden age but ultimately it makes the screenwriting process look exactly how i assume it mostly is... Pretty dull and very long. Performances were good but its just a pretty meandering and slow 2 hours. FWIW i think the flashback/screenplay writing theme didnt really work, it still feels messy in spite of being very structured. Given his body of work it would be fair to say this isnt his best and arguably his worst short of Alien 3. 6/10

The Peanut Butter Falcon

Really heart warming little indie film about a young man with downs syndrome (in some stunt casting they actually cast a young man with downs sydrome). The coming of age across the southern states, Mark Twain style story with really great performances all round. It is easy to forget how great Shia can be, hes excellent in this. 8.5/10

The Peanut Butter Falcon

Really heart warming little indie film about a young man with downs syndrome (in some stunt casting they actually cast a young man with downs sydrome). The coming of age across the southern states, Mark Twain style story with really great performances all round. It is easy to forget how great Shia can be, hes excellent in this. 8.5/10
Love this film. Good feels.

The Irishman

Enjoyed it more the second time around, fell asleep at the cinema.

Robert De Niro lets the team down which is not usually the case. Not having many lines in the movie doesn’t help, I guess he was a quiet fellow. Was very stiff especially during all the fight/murder scenes. Should have used someone else but who would of played the role better?

Been meaning to watch The Irishman again. It'll be remembered as a great IMO. I don't know how the fighting scenes made the final cut though.

My Brother in Law watched Mank, never seen Citizen Kane, he said it was fine, personally i cant understand what the appeal of watching Mank if youve not seen Citizen Kane would be... Additionally youd have no frame of reference for Charles Dance performance and the whole WRH stuff.

Well when you see hype about a movie, a famous director, good actors, it's pretty appealing haha

Been meaning to watch The Irishman again. It'll be remembered as a great IMO. I don't know how the fighting scenes made the final cut though.

Well when you see hype about a movie, a famous director, good actors, it's pretty appealing haha

Yeh I get that, he’s a huge fincher fan too, but (especially having seen the movie now) what would you get out of it?

American Sniper.

Great movie. Love the afghan sniper as well as Bradley Cooper. The Afghan is a ruthless mofo.

Yeh I get that, he’s a huge fincher fan too, but (especially having seen the movie now) what would you get out of it?

I dunno man, I feel like I shouldn't have to be completely across all of that to enjoy the movie. The first thing that springs to mind is being across the Manson Murders to understand and enjoy OUATIH, not 100% necessary, and it's a good movie whether you know the Manson stuff or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My reservation of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is waiting for me at the library to be picked up.

Will give it one more go.
Hated that movie, an very few movies I do. Probably because it was built up to be the next big thing from Quentin Tarantino

Acting was good from Pitt/Leo but if you don't know the history of hollywood or from around that time it makes zero sense.

I remembered going "WTF am I watching" during the whole film, an had to google the whole plot/story after it.

Hated that movie, an very few movies I do. Probably because it was built up to be the next big thing from Quentin Tarantino

Acting was good from Pitt/Leo but if you don't know the history of hollywood or from around that time it makes zero sense.

I remembered going "WTF am I watching" during the whole film, an had to google the whole plot/story after it.

Bolded explains why you didn't like it I imagine.

I enjoyed it and haven't watched it for a 2nd time yet, but imagine I will enjoy it even more. I think the film will age well.

I'm on the fence.

Hence the 3rd viewing. (Saw it 2nd time pay per view in a hotel, but idk.. iwatched like 8 movies that day, so doesnt count imo lol)

I enjoyed it and haven't watched it for a 2nd time yet, but imagine I will enjoy it even more. I think the film will age well.
That's what It felt like, a movie targeted at an age demographic. I'm mid 30's and it felt like a movie to no where, unless I was ment to understand the back plot before watching...

Last edited:
That's what It felt like, a movie targeted at an age demographic. I'm mid 30's and it felt like a movie to no where, unless I was ment to understand the back plot before watching...
That's understandable. Read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi if you want an insight to what the movie moves around.

Up to three viewings for me, better every time.

FYI, I am early 30s with decent amount of knowledge of the events of the time.

Been a while between posts. Some highlights in that time:

The Nightingale - eeesh. Confronting but also one of the well made movies I've seen this year. Authentic look at early 1800s Tasmania. Too bad more people won't see it because of some of those scenes, tells a pretty important story of our dark history.

Daniel Isn't Real - the latest by Elijah Wood's production company who brought us Mandy and Colour out of Space. Wood seems to throw his money behind horror movies by people who likely take lots of acid. I enjoyed it.

Fatal Attraction (1987) - gf has a thing for trashy stalker flicks. This is one of the better ones, very entertaining.

Trial of the Chigago 7 - very good.

Little Women - another great performance / movie choice from Saoirse Ronan.

I feel like I'm forgetting some others but oh well..

I dunno man, I feel like I shouldn't have to be completely across all of that to enjoy the movie. The first thing that springs to mind is being across the Manson Murders to understand and enjoy OUATIH, not 100% necessary, and it's a good movie whether you know the Manson stuff or not.

I heard people say on leaving the movie they heard people express confusion as to what the deal was with Sharon Tate's prominent role being for nothing, not knowing anything about her murder at the hands of the Manson Family they found her role in the film confusing and unnecessary. I wouldn't have thought one needs to know much about Citizen Kane to enjoy Mank, but the film throws a lot of exposition at the viewer at a good speed, so I guess there's stuff that could be easily missed that isn't so easily plugged in if there's little knowledge there.

First viewing of OUATIH I had pretty much no knowledge of the Manson subject tbh, still enjoyed it. It's a hangout movie about friendship though, there's not a heap to really look into with it on the surface but it's also just basically about three different people and their careers in Hollywood. The movie has been even better upon multiple viewings for me after reading up on things but I defs loved the first time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back