Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
peternorth just about spot on with Guardians of the Galaxy 2. A very good sequel to one of the sleeper Marvel hits. Liked the development of Drax and the continuing theme of family throughout the movie was certainly more touching and meaningful than Fast and Furious 8. All of the main actors did well and this makes me look forward to Guardians 3.

And like the first one, the soundtrack was one of the best things about the movie, they probably picked the best 80s songs for key parts of the movie. I enjoyed this more than Avengers 2.

Hacksaw Ridge - 6/10, first hour was pretty boring, a poor remake of Full Metal Jacket right down to the comments the drill Instructor is making to the trainees. Second part was ok with some good action scenes although I just couldn't understand why the Japanese just didn't cut the climbing net down from the cliff face to stop the Americans climbing up all the time.

peternorth just about spot on with Guardians of the Galaxy 2. A very good sequel to one of the sleeper Marvel hits. Liked the development of Drax and the continuing theme of family throughout the movie was certainly more touching and meaningful than Fast and Furious 8. All of the main actors did well and this makes me look forward to Guardians 3.

And like the first one, the soundtrack was one of the best things about the movie, they probably picked the best 80s songs for key parts of the movie. I enjoyed this more than Avengers 2.

I thank you for your support and like of my review.

Interestingly I thought about F&F franchise during the movie, often comparing the GoTG to F&F in terms of what family means.

I saw romantic comedy Table 19 today. It had a high profile cast including Anna Kendrick, Lisa Kudrow and Stephen Merchant, but it was an unusual, arty sort of movie and I felt more like I had been to the theatre and watched a live action play than to the cinema to see a film. Not a bad movie, but not a great movie either. 5.5/10.

Land of Mine - been meaning to watch it for a couple of months but have found the premise too confronting (about German POWs in 1945, mostly boys, who were forced to remove the mines the German army placed along the Danish coast), but am really glad I got to it. Excellent film with some astonishing suspense and some really powerful moments. Slightly Hollywood ending which diminished from everything before it, but still excellent, and extremely well acted, particularly the young German cast.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - seemed like a good come down from the draining experience of the earlier film (and the Richmond-Adelaide game this evening). People have seemed less impressed with it than the original but I had a good time watching it. The music cues were probably a bit more hit and miss than in the first one, but when it hit (Electric Light Orchestra, Fleetwood Mac, Cat Stevens) it was pretty well on point.

THERE'S NOT A SINGLE 80s SONG IN THE SOUNDTRACK OF EITHER FILM!

Sorry for that, but it is the third time I've said this...

Leonardo DiCaprio nailed his part though.

Sent from mTalk

La La Land - If you didn't like it because it was musical then why the heck were you watching a musical? I don't care much for them but this was still good! It has its problems - a white guy trying to save jazz - but Stone and Gosling were fantastic. Whiplash was a stunning film and while this wasn't as good, it still shows that Chazelle is a talent. 8/10

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - I found the first hour of this really jarring. Tonally felt weird, the characters sort of added to that confusion. Generally it got better and had some pretty nice moments. But David Yates to me is a pretty uninspiring director, cringed when I saw the newspaper exposition at the start. The potential plot for the next film could be pretty interesting but handing all these films to him is a mistake imo. 6/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fate of the Furious - 3/10

How the feck this was the highest grossing movie on opening weekend I'll never know. Utter garbage - terrible acting, rubbish special effects and an absolute vapid plot. It wasn't even funny apart from the token black guy.

If this is the kind of movie the general populace enjoys they should all be gassed.

Ok, so went to see two movies this weekend. Part one.

The Fate of the Furious

Well, what can ya say... it was about what I expected. Ridiculous action and stunts played straight, nauseating attempts to incite emotional responses via people talking about 'family', a complete over saturation of hip hop as if it is the only musical style legally permitted, and a confused tone where it doesn't know if it's a traditional action flick or a car movie, all in family (there we go again) friendly style bereft of bad language and confronting visuals.

It certainly entertains in parts thought, I'll give it that. The two black guys, Ludacris and Tyrese Gibson? Really hold it together with their comic relief. Probably the weakest The Rock has been in this series so far though. It was cool to see Jason Statham have a bigger role, but it's just a watered down version of himself from The Expendables. Kurt Russell pops up again, to do stuff... not really sure why. Also no idea what went horribly wrong in Charlize Theron's career to take this role.

The stunts and set pieces are utterly ridiculous, out of this world, the humour fires as about as often as it doesn't work, which is a decent amount considering how often it tries, the pacing is ok, personally I find the soundtrack alienating, the acting is not even an element relevant to the movie. I'm repeating I guess. It is hard to review this sorta thing. It is what it is. I think the series needs a serious breather though, it has reached self parody but someone forget to tell everyone involved. Ignorance must really be bliss, and seriously, does anyone important ever die?

5/10

Last edited:
Ok, so went to see two movies this weekend. Part one.

The Fate of the Furious

Well, what can ya say... it was about what I expected. Ridiculous action and stunts played straight, nauseating attempts to incite emotional responses via people talking about 'family', a complete over saturation of hip hop as if it is the only musical style legally permitted, and a confused tone where it doesn't know if it's a traditional action flick or a car movie, all in family (there we go again) friendly style bereft of bad language and confronting visuals.

It certainly entertains in parts thought, I'll give it that. The two black guys, Ludacris and Tyrese Gibson? Really hold it together with their comic relief. Probably the weakest The Rock has been in this series so far though. It was cool to see Jason Statham have a bigger role, but it's just a watered down version of himself from The Expendables. Kurt Russell pops up again, to do stuff... not really sure why. Also no idea what went horribly wrong in Charlize Theron's career to take this role.

The stunts and set pieces are utterly ridiculous, out of this world, the humour fires as about as often as it doesn't work, which is a decent amount, the pacing is ok, personally I find the soundtrack alienating, the acting is not even an element relevant to the movie. I'm repeating I guess. It is hard to review this sorta thing. It is what it is. I think the series needs a serious breather though, it has reached self parody but someone forget to tell everyone else. Ignorance must really be bliss.

It should've ended at 7, the way they rounded it off was really nice and obviously with Paul Walker gone it would've been appropriate.

Charlize Theron is probably one of the better recent villains in the series, Jason Statham aside, but yeah she seems to just be doing it for a paycheck.

I think 9 and 10 will be entertaining but add little to the series. Still expect them to rake in the $$$ though.

Part two.

Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2

MV5BMTg2MzI1MTg3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTU3NDA2MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I like this a lot, quite a bit indeed. I was worried about it, since I love the first one so much, but this didn't disappoint even if it didn't reach the lofty heights of the original. It's funny. It looks great. The characters and actors are all pretty charismatic. The writing is spot on. The story is good. It's entertaining all the way through.

Where I find it just missed the original is in the following; The soundtrack is a bit more one dimensional, too many songs that sound the same and are a bit dreary and sombre. The only real upbeat song is in the trailers and the credits. This drags the movie down a bit. The humour is a bit different, most of it comes from bickering between the characters, not the witty remarks and observations of the first. It does feel it lacks a bit of weight to it, things kinda just happen in this, it's a movie that is constantly in motion, and with that, there's no real closure or build up between scenes. It also (probably not something other people think but I am biased here) wastes Sylvester Stallone. He has two scenes, one is good, the other is unremarkable. I think his casting was just throwing in a guy from the 80s for added nostalgia, and any old actor could have had his role. Kurt Russell however has a proper role and does great with it.

Where it excels most are the end scenes and it does finally slow up a bit after the action to end the movie in a fitting way for the characters. It finishes on a high.

I'm nitpicking a pretty good movie here, but all of what I say is in comparison to the original, a film I find perfect for what it wanted to be and I gave it a perfect score. Part two however is more an 8/10

Last edited:
It should've ended at 7, the way they rounded it off was really nice and obviously with Paul Walker gone it would've been appropriate.

Charlize Theron is probably one of the better recent villains in the series, Jason Statham aside, but yeah she seems to just be doing it for a paycheck.

I think 9 and 10 will be entertaining but add little to the series. Still expect them to rake in the $$$ though.

There's really nothing more to add except $$$. It's done, it's cooked, but people, and yeah, me included, will still pay to have a look.

It's just, you look back at one, maybe two, and it has such humble and different beginnings. What happened? The only one who seems self aware with how things have turned out is The Rock.

There's really nothing more to add except $$$. It's done, it's cooked, but people, and yeah, me included, will still pay to have a look.

It's just, you look back at one, maybe two, and it has such humble and different beginnings. What happened? The only one who seems self aware with how things have turned out is The Rock.

The Rock's character is a good addition, with incredibly corny lines and such over the top machismo in every scene with him in it. When he ripped out the bench in his jail cell just to do curls, the whole cinema was laughing loudly for ages, along with the 'I'm gonna punch you in the mouth so hard, you're gonna need to shove a toothbrush up your ass to clean your teeth'. FF has to continue to not take itself too seriously.

But yes, I agree that it's not going to get much better. While it makes metric buttloads of money at the box office, though, it will probably find excuses to keep going. I might be a minority that enjoyed the series turning more into heist and spy movies instead of remaining as Point Break with cars.

THERE'S NOT A SINGLE 80s SONG IN THE SOUNDTRACK OF EITHER FILM!

Sorry for that, but it is the third time I've said this...

Leonardo DiCaprio nailed his part though.

Sent from mTalk

Nothing about Leo, I was being an ass, he wasn't actually in it. Like music released after 1979. I'm a little peeved 80s music has become the default description of any music that sounds old. GotG is all 60s and 70s.

Sent from mTalk

Regarding the soundtrack I believe James Gunn references the 80s and its music in myriad interviews pre GoTG2

Anyone seen the new Logan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's great, definitely up there as one of the best X-Men movies. The girl they chose to be opposite Hugh Jackman was an excellent choice.

It also wraps up the whole Wolverine/Doc arc neatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back