Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw

Excellent movie about the relationship between two sisters, each attending a French veterinary school, both of whom just happen to have an irregular taste for human flesh. A incredibly visceral experience.

Get Out

Would have been scarier if I never saw the trailer but it's still a really well crafted horror movie. I never would have expected Jordan Peele had a film like this in him. The racial commentary, sure. But the controlled, confident direction? I guess I underestimated him.

Free Fire

Another movie that's probably better if I never saw the trailer for it. It's exactly as promised: a gun deal goes bad in a derelict warehouse and a 70-minute shootout ensues. Lots of cursing, crawling and limping. Escalates in to a very satisfyingly, violent conclusion. The most personality Armie Hammer has ever given on screen.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Same as first, a little more grating the second time around. Clearly the film is infatuated with Baby Groot to the point that it becomes obnoxious. But it's fine if not spectacular or memorable in any way, like every Marvel movie, really.

Raw

Excellent movie about the relationship between two sisters, each attending a French veterinary school, both of whom just happen to have an irregular taste for human flesh. A incredibly visceral experience.

Get Out

Would have been scarier if I never saw the trailer but it's still a really well crafted horror movie. I never would have expected Jordan Peele had a film like this in him. The racial commentary, sure. But the controlled, confident direction? I guess I underestimated him.

Free Fire

Another movie that's probably better if I never saw the trailer for it. It's exactly as promised: a gun deal goes bad in a derelict warehouse and a 70-minute shootout ensues. Lots of cursing, crawling and limping. Escalates in to a very satisfyingly, violent conclusion. The most personality Armie Hammer has ever given on screen.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Same as first, a little more grating the second time around. Clearly the film is infatuated with Baby Groot to the point that it becomes obnoxious. But it's fine if not spectacular or memorable in any way, like every Marvel movie, really.
it's why i now avoid trailers for the most part
they've been giving away plot twists for years, think Ransom and Screamers for example

Ransom the Mel Gibson movie where from memory it took a full hour for the Ransom to be turned into a bounty yet we all knew it was coming from the trailer

Screamers the Sci-fi adaption of a book probably most well known for using the Microsoft Natural keyboard where they give away one of the main characters identies, much like in Terinator Salvation now that I think about it

Finally sat down and watched Fire Walk With Me again but only on computer screen, not the big screen.
Still as scary as all heck in some parts due to the atmosphere of the movie. Such an intense 2 hours. Not many movies can fully capture my attention for full 2 hours without my mind wandering beyond the movie but this is one of handful of movies I seen that just takes me on the full ride. Assault on the senses at some points where stuff happens you not ready for like a few minutes into the open. It is amazing in thinking back the two rocks stars in David Bowie and Chris Isaak play roles in it and you do not even give it a thought during the movie. They seem like any other actor in this movie playing a role.
Some scenes you may not know is this Laura Palmer, dreaming a bad dream, having a trip from substance abuse or just crossing into other realms of experience due to her emotions and life in such a spiral out of control. What's real to her or just scary imagination. In some ways it does not matter. She is haunted in her real life and dreams anyway. The lines are blurred. The most eerie scene for me involves the picture frame on the bedroom wall, where she laying in bed looking at it and what happens from there is very trippy how it is done in the film. Sherryl Lee does this whole eerie role so bloody well.

Want to know what the whole blue rose is about and hopefully the series of Twin Peaks on tv starting later this month provides a few answers to that for me. What happened to Chris Isaak character, David Bowie'a and also Kiefer Sutherland character not sure as the movie itself is about Laura Palmer mostly. Dale Cooper will have to be a more central character in coming tv series and what happened to him over the last 25 years and what will happen to him now is going to be interesting.

Caught up on some films in my recent travels:

Silence - 9/10. I knew nothing about Christian missionaries in Japan let alone their hardships. Superb film, Garfield is such a great actor and Scorcese serves this up perfectly, I was captivated, refreshing too when a chapter in history is covered in popular film that has rarely been covered before.

Nocturnal Animals - 6.5/10. Strange movie that tries too hard (the opening credits - r u kidding me?) but was very good in parts. Gyllenhaal was brilliant again oscillating between being youthful and full of life to old and worn out. Stupid, stupid ending.

Passengers - 6/10. Worth a watch, I liked the first act at least. Pratt's pretty ordinary.

Office Christmas Party - 5.5/10. Hit and miss but some very funny stuff in there.

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. 6/10

Allied 7/10

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alien: Covenant

Michael Fassbender is a cinematic treasure. The movie would have been lost and forgotten without him. Brilliant decision in making him the focal points, essentially.

Alien Covenant: pretty big disappointment, Fassbender was truly terrific and saved it a bit, hated what they did with the "engineers" , there was so much more potential there..

Haven't seen Alien yet, but between that and Assassins Creed, Fassbender isn't having a good run. Or it's just movies that can be abbreviated to 'AC'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back