Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Seen a couple recently:

Shang-Chi and the legend of the 10 rings - whilst I can understand this is a marvel property, it is probably the most 'not marvel' type of movie they have produced and the most annoying part of it was they looked like they went to great lengths to put in Marvel references/characters. Not a bad movie to be honest, but nothing spectacular. 5.5/10

Stillwater - aside from getting past the fact they made Matt Damon into the real life version of PC Principal from South Park, it was not a bad movie to which the plot ran along the lines of the Amanda Knox storyline but with a couple of subtle twists. A bit of a fish out of water type of movie which the performances were ok and ran the theme of people that somehow seem to sabotage themselves out of good things by poor life choices. It does stick with you this one - 6.5/10

Some of my favourites additonal to yours would be,

In Order:
Hacksaw Ridge
Letters from Iwo Jima (Probably the best film from the view of the Axis I have seen)
Good Morning Vietnam
Dunkirk
Flags of our fathers
Gallipoli
Lone Survivor
Saving Private Ryan
Midway
Water Diviner
American Sniper

And
Escape to Victory not the greatest film of all time by any means but I love the last 5 minutes, worth watching for that alone
(excuse the Italian commentary)
I think the only film on this list I've seen is Good Morning Vietnam, and that was on release. I do love War films, but I'm rarely in the mood for them personally. TBH I'm more interested in documentaries on that subject matter. This looks like a solid list though, will definitely hit it up next time I'm looking for something to watch.

I think the only film on this list I've seen is Good Morning Vietnam, and that was on release. I do love War films, but I'm rarely in the mood for them personally. TBH I'm more interested in documentaries on that subject matter. This looks like a solid list though, will definitely hit it up next time I'm looking for something to watch.
Avoid Midway if you can - still up there as the most unintentionally funny film of last year for me. The acting, the casting and dialogue was horrendous.

Some of my favourites additonal to yours would be,

In Order:
Hacksaw Ridge
Letters from Iwo Jima (Probably the best film from the view of the Axis I have seen)
Good Morning Vietnam
Dunkirk
Flags of our fathers
Gallipoli
Lone Survivor
Saving Private Ryan
Midway
Water Diviner
American Sniper

And
Escape to Victory not the greatest film of all time by any means but I love the last 5 minutes, worth watching for that alone
(excuse the Italian commentary)

A couple more - Fury and Zero Dark Thirty.

Band of Brothers (Spielberg and Hanks!) beats all.

The Pacific and Generation Kill were both excellent TV war shows too.

The Protege (2021)
Samuel L Jackson rescues a young girl and trains her up to be an A grade assassin.
The story boils down to the main protagonists Maggie Q and Micheal Keaton,an unlikely killer and action man,but he pulls it off.
The scenes between these 2 are highly entertaining and provide some good laughs.
Well made action flick with loads of good kills.
4 stars

THE PROPOSITION (2005)

Much better script by Nick Cave here than his previous movie effort which was overly verbose, trying to show off too much. But here it is largely a pretty good effort.

Still some typical narcissistic elements in it. Can't help himself but to also write the music and even have some spoken word parts. Can't you just sit back and be a writer? Why not try to promote other artists, young or indigenous? Talented man tho.

Anyway, that little peeve out of the way....

The film is set in the harsh Australian outback. A tough British police captain is under pressure by the regional governor to catch a small gang of outlaws who are maternal brothers and bring them to justice. They've been terrorizing the town and eluded capture for too long. A recent horrific crime by the gang has amped up the political pressure. The townsfolk are mad and antsy. But the summer is a furnace. The flies are everywhere and the stench of life and rot is suffocating. In such a stifling hot and hostile environment, everything and everyone can't move any faster, all inching and crawling along. Even a freelancing bounty hunter has hit rock bottom and marooned. To try to get some closure on it all, the police captain is forced to come up with a dangerous ill-advised hail mary idea to try to solve the situation. But even his own people are working against him. It could all only lead to a huge sh*t-storm for everyone....

The acting overall is a bit ham-fisted at times. There isn't a whole lot of action but nor is it a slow burn, tho it tries to serve both ends. The pacing of the movie therefore sputters along. The interjecting little sing-songs don't help either. The synopsis and the writing of dialogue is fine. But the writing of the story, plot points, isn't polished enough. Lacks the touch of a story-telling master who knows how to build tension, how to play characters against and alongside each other. Especially that difficult balance of characters who are at once allied but also opposed. Good idea for a story, but just lacks that keen ability of a seasoned scriptwriter. The cinematography is excellent, gives the movie a quality of being big budget, or top shelf production.

Overall, not a waste of time, interesting. But nothing about it either that demands re-watching.

Watched it today and enjoyed it. I reckon the casting was spot on. All the main actors have great screen presence and can deliver their lines convincingly. I agree a little about the lack of tension building. Events sometimes happened out of the blue rather than suspenseful moments leading to a surprise outcome. The soundtrack was mostly good with a couple of jarring moments.

All in all it was a good story well told.

6/10

Why did they make terminator.salvation?
Has any movie series ever been destroyed like that?
Was it all about normalising robots?

The leader of the resistance a petty thieving truant kid ,drug addict teenager with the heart of a violent murderer, taken from a robot, mother was dick happy bimbo waitress and father a parent less partisan.
What a mix. There's hope for me yet ...

In the first Kyle hated all robots and machinery, had significant PTSD. Even construction sites set him off. They were all evil machines, all.

Why did they make terminator.salvation?
Has any movie series ever been destroyed like that?
Was it all about normalising robots?

The leader of the resistance a petty thieving truant kid ,drug addict teenager with the heart of a violent murderer, taken from a robot, mother was dick happy bimbo waitress and father a parent less partisan.
What a mix. There's hope for me yet ...

In the first Kyle hated all robots and machinery, had significant PTSD. Even construction sites set him off. They were all evil machines, all.
Every T movie post T2 has been a mistake and superflous for the story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dark Fate was fine as a nostalgic walk down violent robot lane but ultimately added nothing to the story.

Everything in between 2 and Dark Fate has been varying degrees of bad
The movies since T2 have been the equivalent big budget putting pork on the pig. Interestingly the ending of T3 had a core message of inevitability, and yet they created how many more movies about trying to change the future?

Even the second one had a huge plot hole.
The moment the vaxxinator was spotted fighting at the start they would of been all over the pysch gaol sarah was in. They knew she was telling the truth. Why they had her in gaol. They would also be watching john. He would of been with a military family. They would of been aware of something. They would of been all over his house when the vaxxinator first spotted.

And you just dont walk in to the most advanced robotic military research facility there is, like they did.

First one cant be critisised as it was a 8Os sci fi flick. A cult movie. Fresh and original with a little known cast. The rest crap reallly that are just special effects and cgi wanks.

The first had mystery suspense horror drama romance action, actually had a story.

Even the second one had a huge plot hole.
The moment the vaxxinator was spotted fighting at the start they would of been all over the pysch gaol sarah was in. They knew she was telling the truth. Why they had her in gaol. They would also be watching john. He would of been with a military family. They would of been aware of something. They would of been all over his house when the vaxxinator first spotted.

And you just dont walk in to the most advanced robotic military research facility there is, like they did.

First one cant be critisised as it was a 8Os sci fi flick. A cult movie. Fresh and original with a little known cast. The rest crap reallly that are just special effects and cgi wanks.

The first had mystery suspense horror drama romance action, actually had a story.
Nitpicks arent plot holes though.

Nitpicks arent plot holes though.

The whole movie falls apart. The vaxxinator or liquid man cant get at john. For the movie to work they needed to. They also would of pumped john full of ritilin to control him, once in the foster care system.

However the movie worth it just for rhe exchanges and back story between sarah and the shrink. They nailed that completely.
Shrink knew she was telling the Truth and played games with her. Thats what most shrinks are like and how she coped in that prison, they got that right.

The whole movie falls apart. The vaxxinator or liquid man cant get at john. For the movie to work they needed to. They also would of pumped john full of ritilin to control him, once in the foster care system.

However the movie worth it just for rhe exchanges and back story between sarah and the shrink. They nailed that completely.
Shrink knew she was telling the Truth and played games with her. Thats what most shrinks are like and how she coped in that prison, they got that right.
I actually have no idea what on earth youre critiquing here but it doesnt appear to be a plot hole.

Dark Fate was not particularly nostalgic, sure there was Linda Hamilton back, but Arnie hasn't missed a film and John Connor was only in it for two seconds to get murdered as a kid.

T3 the best post T2 for me, unless including the TV show, but even the second season of that was on the nose.

Dark Fate was not particularly nostalgic, sure there was Linda Hamilton back, but Arnie hasn't missed a film and John Connor was only in it for two seconds to get murdered as a kid.

T3 the best post T2 for me, unless including the TV show, but even the second season of that was on the nose.

I remember hiring the first on vhs as a new release, at a family owned video store...
2 95.

Watching it on an analogue telly. Full forwarding the previews of other movies first.

Even t2 came on VHS.

I remember hiring the first on vhs as a new release, at a family owned video store...
2 95.

My only real public 'physical altercation' was is a Blockbuster video store. Bloke comes in blind drunk, staggers into a young girl and pushes her over. Police arrive about 15 minutes later; "Gee, what happened to him?" Myself and 3 strangers all in unison respond; "he fell over!"...

My only real public 'physical altercation' was is a Blockbuster video store. Bloke comes in blind drunk, staggers into a young girl and pushes her over. Police arrive about 15 minutes later; "Gee, what happened to him?" Myself and 3 strangers all in unison respond; "he fell over!"...
True Lies

Great movie as well

Thursday Friday Saturday nights they were pick up bars if you knew what you were doing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back