Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

She looks about 14 beneath the neck and I found her Spiderman character white cliche and annoying for like 2/3 films.

Put me in the old guy who doesn't get it basket.

Is her cult thing because she's decided to only one have one name?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Probably depends who you ask.

I think she’s very talented and understand why she’s got the following.

Fair enough. I don’t agree, I thought she was really great.

She’s the new “hot” talent is more my point. Last person I can think of having her sort of pull was J-Law.
Anya Taylor Joy seems to be heading in that direction, IMO.

Zendaya is popular amongst young people because she was on a big Disney channel show, had some semi-popular music, is dating Tom Holland who is also massive right now, Spider-Man, Euphoria was huge with younger people, is hot even if you think she looks 19 doesn't really matter to people who are around that age anyway - it adds up.

Great production value, intriguing story, great performances from really great actors (Chalamet in particular). I enjoyed it and cant wait for part 2.

As i understand it Zendaya is a big feature of the next chapter.
It just didn't grab me. A lot of world building, which is fine, I actually quite enjoyed the first 30 minutes of the movie. But after a while, it's a bit much. It looked great, but a lot of Dune is about the politics of it all and it spent way too much time on how good does this sand look rather then the board room meetings.

It just didn't grab me. A lot of world building, which is fine, I actually quite enjoyed the first 30 minutes of the movie. But after a while, it's a bit much. It looked great, but a lot of Dune is about the politics of it all and it spent way too much time on how good does this sand look rather then the board room meetings.
I kinda agree, I enjoyed the look of it, the acting was good, but it did seem like a bit of a deep dive into a nerdish book that, as someone who hasn't read it, didn't appeal as much. I appreciated the world building but several months on, I can't really recall a lot of what happened.

To be fair, it was very good looking sand.

I’ve never read Dune and I don’t like that sort of thing normally, but I enjoyed the film, almost entirely because of the aesthetics.

A stacked cast also helped, but Villenueve has a way with visuals. I hate the original Blade Runner, but enjoyed 2049 because of how beautiful his “world building” was.

Troll : A Norwegian monster movie on Netflix

Give it a 6.5 out of 10

Directed by Roar Uthaug

Seen a couple of his Norwegian films

Cold Prey (2006) : a slasher horror film which starred Ingrid Bolso Berdal ( best known for playing Armistice in Westworld)

The Wave (2015) : a disaster movie

Also directed the English speaking film

Tomb Raider (2018) (Starring Alicia Vikander)

I would rank Cold Prey as the best movie of the above mentioned

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Assassins Creed any good? Saw it come up on one of my streaming services.
Watch the trailer. It's better than the film for a variety of reasons, but the biggest one, to me is that the trailer has a bright vibrant colour, like the games, really making the historical locations pop. The actual film was run through a filter that made everything look a shade of brown.

The very basic thing a film should aim for, is not to look like it's being screened through toilet full of piss.

Last edited:
Watch the trailer. It's better than the film for a variety of reasons, but the biggest one, to me is that the trailer has a bright vibrant colour, like the games, really making the historical locations pop. The actual film was run through a filter that made everything look a shade of brown.

The very basic thing a film should aim for, is not to look like it's being screened through toilet full of piss.

But in the case of Assassin's Creed that was probably necessary just to keep the look of the movie consistent with every other aspect of it.

I will never understand why they didnt do Ezios story in the AC movie.
I think most video game adaptations tend to just make sh*t up. I struggle to think of too many that actually follow the story of the games they're based on. The Last Of Us looks like it's making a real attempt to be faithful to the original story, but there aren't too many others that can say that.

(Re Midsommar)

Good movie but felt it could have taken that next step and been a bit of a modern classic. Had it all in place.

I think it is a modern classic. Wasn't that for me on first watch, but repeat viewings are really rewarded. Easily my favourite horror film of the last 10 years now.

Florence Pugh gives one of my favourite performances in recent times too.

Last edited:
The Velvet Queen - a French pair, a photographer and a writer, explore isolated Tibet to try to catch a glimpse of a snow leopard. I'm not exactly a nature documentary head, but I thought this profoundly beautiful, with astonishing vistas and wildlife. Truly beautiful way to spend 90 minutes.

Bones and All - certainly a unique film. Timothee Chalamet and Taylor Russell are a pair of young cannibals, road tripping across Reagan's America and falling in love. Russell was a revelation in Waves and remains great here, and Chalamet is always good. Mark Rylance as the creepy older cannibal they meet along the way probably stole the show in performances. There is, if you'll mind the pun, a lot to digest here; and if it's not particularly clear just what this is meant to be a metaphor for then that's not necessarily a bad thing. Surprisingly sweet and romantic, with some real moments of brutality interlaced.

Ongoing with the Star Wars films

Rogue One

This is comfortably the best of the Star Wars films so far. Felicity Jones and Diego Luna have great chemistry, the ensemble cast around those two is fantastic (Riz Ahmed and Donnie Yen in particular) and Ben Mendelsohn is great in the villain role.

Just really, thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish.

Ongoing with the Star Wars films

Rogue One

This is comfortably the best of the Star Wars films so far. Felicity Jones and Diego Luna have great chemistry, the ensemble cast around those two is fantastic (Riz Ahmed and Donnie Yen in particular) and Ben Mendelsohn is great in the villain role.

Just really, thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish.
+1 - one of the few SW films that actually feel a bit of unknown and danger as well which added to the mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back