Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you check the rating before watching?

Me personally, I can't watch stuff rated lower than a 6.5 on IMDB. Surely there are others like me?

Sometimes I'll purposely put a film on and not check the rating so I'm in a positive mind set and not judging the film beforehand.
Ill usually have a look on IMDB but if its something i want to watch ill watch regardless of the rating.

Me personally, I can't watch stuff rated lower than a 6.5 on IMDB. Surely there are others like me?

Sometimes I'll purposely put a film on and not check the rating so I'm in a positive mind set and not judging the film beforehand.
I don't ever check the rating beforehand. I've often enjoyed films others haven't rated.

I think the issue with the IMDB ratings is that they're self-selecting - only given by a very specific group of people, which includes some of the worst people in the world. Right wing trolls will regularly review bomb films without having seen etc, and so I think what you get there is a rating that tells you a film's appeal to teenage boys. It also means, as said above, that films that are divisive (such as Spring Breakers) don't get a good rating. I think IMDB would be better off removing their ratings altogether, they're next to useless.

Letterboxd has the same flaws but is a better quality of users, at least. Metacritic is better than Rotten Tomatoes though both are flawed (in the latter's case, I would say again to the point of uselessness).

Do you know how many movies I've absolutely loved that were ranked highly and how many I've hated that people loved. It's just a guide. I also started watching movies blind since last year so I wouldn't know what I was going to get. Some of the best movies I've seen blind and rated much higher were:

Hard Candy
Runaway Jury
Enemy (2013)
SAy Anything
The Thirteenth Floor
Slingblade
Burn After Reading
The One (5.9 on IMDB)
Bitter Moon - Perhaps one of the most intriguing movies I have ever watched blind. I had no idea what it was about or what was going to happen

Ill usually have a look on IMDB but if its something i want to watch ill watch regardless of the rating.
Absolutely, As I said too, I've been blind watching so sometimes you got to take the good with the bad.
I don't ever check the rating beforehand. I've often enjoyed films others haven't rated.

I think the issue with the IMDB ratings is that they're self-selecting - only given by a very specific group of people, which includes some of the worst people in the world. Right wing trolls will regularly review bomb films without having seen etc, and so I think what you get there is a rating that tells you a film's appeal to teenage boys. It also means, as said above, that films that are divisive (such as Spring Breakers) don't get a good rating. I think IMDB would be better off removing their ratings altogether, they're next to useless.

Letterboxd has the same flaws but is a better quality of users, at least. Metacritic is better than Rotten Tomatoes though both are flawed (in the latter's case, I would say again to the point of uselessness).

This one's right up there with one of my favorite films

Ralph Fiennes is absolutely flawless in his performance

10/10
You can almost feel his pain.

I knew something was off very early. None of the guests with the exception of Marta were likeable, and to a lesser extent the Actor. They were ego driven, narcissistic campaigners. I couldn't stop laughing when Tyler said "I wasn't expecting that", and when they put up "Tyler's Bullshit" on the menu. I'm definitely watching it again to get more of an idea on each persons personality.

You could see the pain and anguish in the staff and there were some strong messages delivered regarding doing things you love, and not things that please others.

I never check ratings before watching a movie. Barely even read a review, either, sometimes general word of mouth is all that is needed or a specific recommendation from a friend.

As someone pointed out, often right wing trolls (almost always boys and men) savage movies seen as woke and they are incel enough to waste time slanting the actual ratings before it's released.

Barbie is 6.8 on IMDB and 2.9 on Google and is indisputably one of the best movies of 2023 and also objectively the highest grossing. That tells you all you need to know.

/rant

Barbie is 6.8 on IMDB and 2.9 on Google and is indisputably one of the best movies of 2023 and also objectively the highest grossing. That tells you all you need to know.
I’m certainly not right wing and I didn’t think much of it. I do agree that it happens though to some supposedly woke movies

Never been to RT or other ratings before watching a movie but do go to IMDb to see who is in the movie other than the obvious stars
I love it when you've been on a movie run and you keep running into the same supporting cast.

Vincent D'onforio has been in about 5-6 films I've watched of late
Found one of the ladies from DC Flash Christina Brucato in "The Menu"
JK Simmons has been in a number of films I've watched
Paul Dano
David Dastmalchian
Anthony Mackie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10/10

I knew something was off very early. None of the guests with the exception of Marta were likeable, and to a lesser extent the Actor. They were ego driven, narcissistic campaigners. I couldn't stop laughing when Tyler said "I wasn't expecting that", and when they put up "Tyler's Bullshit" on the menu. I'm definitely watching it again to get more of an idea on each persons personality.

You could see the pain and anguish in the staff and there were some strong messages delivered regarding doing things you love, and not things that please others.
This was ****ing weird.

10/10

Absolutely loved this one. Might be due a rewatch actually.

I think the key with critics is to find ones that can rate a movie 70% for what it is, and 30% fundamentals of film making. There would be some critics out there who would rate Predator a 3/10 or something because it has a silly story and jokey characters and unrealistic scenes.

I choose movies on the synopsis of the plot and maybe a name actor or a trailer I have seen

Then there are franchise movies where you know in advance that you are likely to watch - looking at you MCU

But I also use BF for the best advice - good or bad - its an opportunity to gauge a movie using a cross range of people

The key with critics is to find one that generally aligns with your tastes, not assume they are all right all the time. Roger Ebert used to be that for me, though he did have his blind spots.
I hate the pretentious ones who care more about their dialogue than reviewing the movie. Give us the good, the bad and the ugly without being a stuck up campaigner who thinks they know everything

I hate the pretentious ones who care more about their dialogue than reviewing the movie. Give us the good, the bad and the ugly without being a stuck up campaigner who thinks they know everything

Anthony Lane in The New Yorker is also good.

Good rule of thumb: take a star off Australian reviews of Australian films.They always feel they have to hype up the local industry.

Anthony Lane in The New Yorker is also good.

Good rule of thumb: take a star off Australian reviews of Australian films.They always feel they have to hype up the local industry.
Yeah even the legendary Stratton and Pomeranz did this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back