What's the most surprising thing you learned about a current or former player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Had no idea Hardwick was part of both that 2000 bombers team and 2004 port team. I don’t think another player has gotten beaten by the lions 01-03 team then got revenge on them later in GFs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think he had a team mate in the 2004 Lions side as well. Blake Caracalla.

Johnny Platten was given a new HSV by Carlton as part of a sign on bonus...but then signed with Hawthorn instead.

He kept the car though.

Not that this would matter to people who couldn’t GAF about cars but this technically couldn’t have happened.

HSV didn’t exist until a few seasons after John Platten had joined Hawthorn. If he received a high performance Commodore from Carlton it would have been manufactured by HDT.

HDT were the cars that featured a Peter Brock signature as the vehicles were made in partnership with him. That relationship ended IIRC in part because Brock believed in putting magic crystals in the engine bay of the cars. HDT ceased to be Holden’s high performance division and HSV was formed in its place.

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

Not that this would matter to people who couldn’t GAF about cars but this technically couldn’t have happened.

HSV didn’t exist until a few seasons after John Platten had joined Hawthorn. If he received a high performance Commodore from Carlton it would have been manufactured by HDT.

HDT were the cars that featured a Peter Brock signature as the vehicles were made in partnership with him. That relationship ended IIRC in part because Brock believed in putting magic crystals in the engine bay of the cars. HDT ceased to be Holden’s high performance division and HSV was formed in its place.

Well there you go. I have the model wrong but he did keep a car of some sort.

Last edited:
For years I thought/assumed Garry Lyon was Greek because of his phenotype: hirsute, dark-haired, and olive-skinned. He also lives in Melbourne so it just kind of made sense in my head. After all, Melbourne has the 3rd largest Greek population in the world, following only Athens and Thessaloniki.

images
GettyImages-2675932.jpg

It turns out he's of Irish origin. I suppose the name was a hint:

There's a lot of phenotypic variation in Europe, even in the British Isles. Ian McShane is of Irish, English, and Scottish descent; he could pass as Sicilian or Calabrian.

3qT6pMBUl-vNAvX1jbLlpRhFL_I

images

Colin Farrell is another Irishman that has a Mediterannean-like complexion

colin-farrell-banshees-of-inisherin.jpg
Lyon must be of Gypsy origin then

Well there you go. I have the model wrong but he did keep a car of some sort.

You made a very, very, very minor error by calling it an HSV. Something only of interest to automotive weirdos. :)

It would be like someone not overly interested in Australian Rules saying something about the ”1987 AFL Grand Final” instead of ”1987 VFL Grand Final”. They would be technically incorrect by referring to it as the AFL for a 1987 event but not meaningfully incorrect by calling the competition by the name it would not use until 1990. Everyone would know what they meant.

I knew him as a young fella, he was a complete w***er.

I saw him a few years ago (post footy) and he seemed like a really good guy, think he’d grown up a lot.

Reckon he probably had it pretty hard growing up with his ******* of an old man. Not hard as in hard times, just growing up and out from under him.
Mal gloried in being an a-hole. It was his brand.

Yep. They never said it was a sign-on bonus because that would have been against the rules. It was a gift out of their innocent generosity.

I bet this happened far more than we know too.
He got the nominal 5,000.
Peter Mcconvilles brother got the same.
It was a normal thing for signing a "form 4"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry McKay had his brain transplanted with that of a Jack Russel

Non-non-football related, but I looked at player win %s over their careers not long ago. Surprised that Dean Cox played in more losses than wins. Sandi had him beat comfortably.

Anthony Koutoufides couldn’t swim until he was well into adulthood.

He was taking lessons in the summer after the 1995 GF.

On the topic of swimmers, Sean Darcy apparently is a gun swimmer, didn't strike me as that type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back