What's the most surprising thing you learned about a current or former player?

Remove this Banner Ad

A
I've heard that before. It might be true, the whole "dark Irish" thing.
after the Spanish Armada was beaten in 1588, they tried to go the long way home. There were Atlantic gales and a number of ships were wrecked along the West Coast. Quite a number were killed, but some survived and married. They became known as the “black Irish”. Phil Lynnott, Thin Lizzy singer and bass player was Of this descent.

I never pegged Chad Cornes as a metalcore guy, but there he was as a 'celebrity fan' on The Amity Afflictions DVD (alongside Allen Christensen who didn't surprise me, and Dan Riccardo).
The Amity Affliction started in a small country town not far from where I grew up. As a teenager I’d go watch them play for 50 people in the student centre of my local primary school. Good times.

A

after the Spanish Armada was beaten in 1588, they tried to go the long way home. There were Atlantic gales and a number of ships were wrecked along the West Coast. Quite a number were killed, but some survived and married. They became known as the “black Irish”. Phil Lynnott, Thin Lizzy singer and bass player was Of this descent.

Me thinks Lynnott had a father from British Guiana.

That Max Gawn is a huge Edmonton Oilers fan (Ice Hockey)

A

Lol no he wasn’t.

His mother was white Irish and his dad was an African immigrant. He wasn’t even born in Ireland, he was born in England and moved to Ireland as a kid to live with his mother’s parents.

Lol no he wasn’t.

His mother was white Irish and his dad was an African immigrant. He wasn’t even born in Ireland, he was born in England and moved to Ireland as a kid to live with his mother’s parents.
Same story as another of Ireland's favourite son's, Shane MacGowan was born in Kent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The least surprising thing I discovered after working with an ex Saints player was how much the players detested Milne.

Yeah no, Gary Lyon is not Greek. That’s an insult to us hahah. Looks Italian imo. Could definitely see him in the godfather.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That Gary Rohan played ok in a Grand Final!

Malcolm Blight was a 60-per-day smoker throughout his career and when I knew him in the 90's- heavist smoker I've ever seen. Would suck down a few at half time.

Nicky Winmar would smoke a few bongs before a game.

Anyway, I was surprised to learn Chad Wingard was aboriginal. I always thought he was one of the great German players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back