What's the most surprising thing you learned about a current or former player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
For years I thought/assumed Garry Lyon was Greek because of his phenotype: hirsute, dark-haired, and olive-skinned. He also lives in Melbourne so it just kind of made sense in my head. After all, Melbourne has the 3rd largest Greek population in the world, following only Athens and Thessaloniki.

images
GettyImages-2675932.jpg

It turns out he's of Irish origin. I suppose the name was a hint:

Lyon is a boy's name of French origin. Traditionally used as a surname, Lyon means "lion" or "brave warrior." Journeying through history and originating in 7th century France, this name made its way to Britain and Ireland after the Norman conquest.

There's a lot of phenotypic variation in Europe, even in the British Isles. Ian McShane is of Irish, English, and Scottish descent; he could pass as Sicilian or Calabrian.

3qT6pMBUl-vNAvX1jbLlpRhFL_I

images

Colin Farrell is another Irishman that has a Mediterannean-like complexion

colin-farrell-banshees-of-inisherin.jpg

Jack Fitzpatrick (MEL/HAW) suffers from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - pretty remarkable to play at the top level with an illness like that.

Tom Hawkins grew up on or around dairy farms

I never pegged Chad Cornes as a metalcore guy, but there he was as a 'celebrity fan' on The Amity Afflictions DVD (alongside Allen Christensen who didn't surprise me, and Dan Riccardo).

James Brayshaw is the king of useless information like this topic.

Always knows where some irrelevant produce farm is near where some debutant grew up. Which is also mentioned well into the twilight of their careers.

Stop it James

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That since retiring Paul Licuria became a leach

Harry & Ben McKay are the same person

Remove this Banner Ad

Back