What's your best cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

You wonder just how much better the great man's final record could have been had he not been dropped for that long
No better. Hayden in the 1990s was not a great international cricketer. Hayden of the 2000s was.

As a child, listening to the radio when Dean Headly tore us a new one in the boxing day test.

As an adult - the entire 2014 South African tour that we won 2-1:
- Johnson's vicious ten wickets in the first test on what what an insanely bouncy wicket
- Alex Doolan's two ridiculous catches in the field
- S.Marsh's magnificent 140 odd in the first test followed by a pair of ducks
- David Warner making 3 hundreds after getting dropped 5+ times
- Steyn destroying us with reverse swing in the second test at PE
- Warner crying about potential ball tampering by SA but it was because he hit the ball for 6 and it smashed into some concrete
- Clarke's 161 after getting smashed on the body by Morne Morkel
- Ryan Harris with two clutch wickets late on day 5 to win us the third test

That's basically what I can remember without looking it all up on cricinfo

That was the MCG test in 1998 right? That was probably my earliest memory of watching cricket, hearing Bill Lawry's excitement when England pulled off an unlikely win sort of stayed with me.

You wonder just how much better the great man's final record could have been had he not been dropped for that long

Hayden’s?

Would have been a lot worse at a guess. When he first got picked - from memory it was against SA in 93-94, he was plainly not up to it. Donald etc destroyed him and he was justifiably ignored for the next 4 years. Slater was superb at the time, and so was Taylor.

Hayden had a purple patch of 3-4 years starting in India 01, where - even as a total non-fan of him, he was sublime. But he had a huge habit of downhill skiing and when the going got a bit tough, with the exception of that 01 series against India, he was always a little bit suspect. Langer was the more bankable of the two.

Adam Gilchrist hitting getting his century off 57 balls at the WACA. Never have I seen powerful hitting until the world of T20 came around. School holidays when I was a kid, sitting back on a couch and just seeing him smash the English bowlers was fun to watch. Too bad that was the last test series for Warne/McGrath.

Amazing Adelaide was a close second. I dont think I can recall a test where the opposing team scored 500+ runs declared in the first innings and then losing the match.

89 Ashes. So unexpected as it was the worst Australian team to leave Australia. Lol.

Beating the Windies finally in the Caribbean in 95.

Mike Whitney blocking out Richard Hadlee to draw the Melborne Test in 87 and win a test series for the first time under Alan Border.

You're preaching to the choir now Brother. I remember watching Pedro Collins bowl. Had the most languidly beautiful left arm technique from memory. I never really saw Lara bat unfortunately but wish I had. The way you talk about the windies I can tell you are hoping for a Carribbean resurgence? How good would that be? I look at their players and I see specimens of athletes with their size and builds etc. You reckon they are a couple of out and out gun batsmen and a class spinner away from sustained success??
Brian Lara is/was the best batsman I have ever seen bar none. On his day he could destroy the best bowlers in the world on pitches that turned sideways or green tops.

My best cricket memory as a player is from yesterday. We won by 10 wickets in a 40 over game. I play C grade and I have only just made a comeback after over 20 years in retirement. The opposition won the toss and I was pissed as I figured it was my best chance at getting a ton (weak side). After they got off to a fast start we bowled them out for 107 off 30.4 overs.
Both teams only had 10 players.

A good mate from school nearly 30 years ago, he talked me into playing cricket again, and I opened the batting and we carved from the start. Tbh we knew we only had to knock it around. We won in the 20th over with him 38* and myself 63* off about 55 balls. I hit a 6 and a 4 off consecutive deliveries early in the 20th to end the game before drinks. We then went to our team sponsors pub to celebrate the win and the South African import (Aaron’s), he plays A grade, 21st birthday with the rest of the club. I knocked over a stubbie on the way to the pub and 9 schooners of Carlton Dry in 3.5 hours before going home. That’s the hardest I have hit it for over 10 years.
The cricket ball as well.
Their opening bowler peppered me with short balls I hadn’t seen since 1998. Back when I used to play I would get intimidated by short pitch bowling. I also used to go forward on my front foot as the bowler was bowling. In my comeback I sit back and move my feet on line and length now. To cut this story short I was hooking and pulling his short pitched barrage for fours.
I’m 46 now and the plan is to play B or Reserve grade next season. I have played 2 games in B grade so far and been reasonably comfortable. I made 21, 4 (didn’t hit a ball down leg side and was gunned by the ump caught behind) and 25 when I closed the bat too early to a ball on my pads and was caught and bowled.
In C grade I have scored 313 runs at an average of 62.6. My search for that elusive ton continues though.
Call me sentimental but this was a special moment shared with a good mate. Before yesterday I never would have thought that we’d share a partnership like this. He usually bats at 6, 7 or 8 and I open. We have batted together three times this season though. I’m the ugly taller one.
BA9665D2-7168-4328-8DAC-4C22FF825DB3.jpeg

My best cricket memory as a player is from yesterday. We won by 10 wickets in a 40 over game. I play C grade and I have only just made a comeback after over 20 years in retirement. The opposition won the toss and I was pissed as I figured it was my best chance at getting a ton (weak side). After they got off to a fast start we bowled them out for 107 off 30.4 overs.

A good mate from school nearly 30 years ago, he talked me into playing cricket again, and I opened the batting and we carved from the start. Tbh we knew we only had to knock it around. We won in the 20th over with him 38* and myself 63* off about 55 balls. I hit a 6 and a 4 off consecutive deliveries early in the 20th to end the game before drinks. We then went to our team sponsors pub to celebrate the win and the South African import (Aaron’s), he plays A grade, 21st birthday with the rest of the club. I knocked over a stubbie on the way to the pub and 9 schooners of Carlton Dry in 3.5 hours before going home. That’s the hardest I have hit it for over 10 years.
Their opening bowler peppered me with short balls I hadn’t seen since 1998. Back when I used to play I would get intimidated by short pitch bowling. I also used to go forward on my front foot as the bowler was bowling. In my comeback I sit back and move my feet on line and length now. To cut this story short I was hooking and pulling his short pitched barrage for fours.
I’m 46 now and the plan is to play B or Reserve grade next season. I have played 2 games in B grade so far and been reasonably comfortable. I made 21, 4 (didn’t hit a ball down leg side and was gunned by the ump caught behind) and 25 when I closed the bat too early to a ball on my pads and was caught and bowled.
In C grade I have scored 313 runs at an average of 62.6. My search for that elusive ton continues though.
Call me sentimental but this was a special moment shared with a good mate. Before yesterday I never would have thought that we’d share a partnership like this. He usually bats at 6, 7 or 8 and I open. We have batted together three times this season though. I’m the ugly taller one.
View attachment 620881

All I can say is you won't make a ton if you don't play!

Congrats.

View attachment 620881
I'm a lebbo too. Be proud of who you are and congrats on the runs so far. You'll get your ton mate. Just make sure you let us know when you do:thumbsu:

Listening to the Test scores on the drive to work one morning, heard that Jason Gillespie had come in as nightwatchman and proceeded to make 201 not out.

I had to pull over, I was laughing that hard.

I went to the test when Border and Thommo were batting in the last day,I think 69k attended boxing day.

I also went to the odi in Melbourne when it rained for the first hour and the crowd was huge,game reduced to 35 odd overs,Border and Hookesy made 50’s if I remember.
The days of the yellow plastic trumpets.

Also before that I sat in bay 13 as a young kid to watch Australia’s 2nd team,the days of two teams,one in WSC and the rest playing in the proper team,we beat England after a lousy Ashes with Laughlin and Cosier hitting boundaries all over the park,crowd was only around 18k but it has stuck in my memory.

View attachment 620881
Is that a symonds tusker your mate is using? Haven't seen one of those in years!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a boy, my favourite memories are of listening to cricket on the radio, especially the 1968 Ashes tour, the 1969-70 tour of South Africa, and the 1972 Ashes tour. It was great trying to imagine what the grounds were like, some of the players, and I would sit there late at night with my ABC Cricket Book, filling out the scores. My parents couldn't get me to go to bed :)

It was like magic when they were able to telecast the final Test which Australia won to level the series. Cannot recall if they did the entire Test of just the final day but I still recall Rod Marsh and Paul Sheahan sprinting off the ground waving their bats after they hit the winning run.

I remember dad taking me to my 1st Test match against India at the Adelaide Oval in the 1967-68 series. I was very impressed by Graham McKenzie. To a young impressionable boy, he looked very fast. Simpson & Lawry walked out to start Australia's 2nd Innings and Lawry was caught behind 1st ball for a duck. I've loved Test cricket ever since, but childhood memories are indelibly stamped.

When I was 15 years old staying up all night watching the third test during the 2005 ashes series. Still remains the best test match I have seen to date, perhaps Amazing Adelaide. Wagged school the next day, we lived across the road from school, was so easy to walk off in that direction while my mum went off to work. Slept all day that day, jumped on MSN with my mates and discussed it.

* I love test cricket.

Vaughan couldn't buy a run, got 166 after being bowled off a no ball
Ricky Pontings best test 100.
Freddie Flintoff bowling heat and swinging it around corners.
Shane Warne scoring valuable runs ( such an underrated tailender )
That catch where Jones caught it off Strauss' body after he dropped it diving to his right.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...t-australia-tour-of-england-and-scotland-2005

in no order

99 world cup semi final
tassie first shield win
ponting 2003 world cup
95 windies
border bowling v the windies in 88/89
ponting 200 v india two tests in a row
one dayer where tubby was skipper and took like 4 catches v windies in rain affected win

Steve Waughs century in the SCG test where he hit a 4 of the last ball of the day
Gilchrists quick century at the WACA
Warnes 700th wicket
McGraths 50 V New Zealand

Is that a symonds tusker your mate is using? Haven't seen one of those in years!!
Btw, he bought a new bat and used it Saturday. It’s a GM Siren. Apparently, it is his new lover.
C9954469-1A0E-4BE4-898D-41AB714F4BED.jpeg

I bought a new bat but I’m still breaking it in
A604D68F-750F-4F19-87F9-1A09CC69054D.jpeg F9190B15-DC3D-46C8-80CE-89AA1E163677.jpeg

However, I sent my old bat out in style on Saturday with a match winning century. I’m getting it framed with the scorecard, club player of the week photo and other stuff. It was my first ton ever. I was last out for 189 trying to get to 200 with 7 minutes left in the game. We ended up getting 348 chasing 264 for victory. We won with two wickets to spare in a two day game. My mate was at the crease when I raised the bat.
View attachment IMG_0363.mov

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back