Strategy When Jack comes back

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
When Jack returns should we play him down back?
A great win last night no doubt our best win since the 17 GF unless your biaseddustyfan :D
However i fear that Astbury in the absence of Rance has gone back into his shell.Lost confidence,Doesn't take the game on(not that he did that much anyway)and basically its upto others around him too cover for him.
Put it this way if it wasn't for Grimes last night we would have lost the game.Opposition will now identify that if you can keep Grimes out of the play ala Rance then your on a good chance to beat us.
I propose in light of Astbury's going back into his shell i suggest we use Jack down back for the rest of the season.He's a class above most in our side and it would give our backline a bit of calmness with him down back.
Some will say we should use Balta.Sure if our season is shot.But its not besides i think for the moment his best position is giving Nank a spell.

B:Grimes,Astbury,Broad.
HB:Vlas,Jack,Stack.

Thoughts?

I think they should try it, would love to see the result.
Jack is a good mark, good tackler and probably the smartest user of the ball in our team. He rarely wastes a possession. He is all about the team and I reckon the challenge of going in the backline will be something he will embrace. Tom Lynch has the forward line covered. Risk is that it’s too different and he will give away free kicks

I think they should try it, would love to see the result.
Jack is a good mark, good tackler and probably the smartest user of the ball in our team. He rarely wastes a possession. He is all about the team and I reckon the challenge of going in the backline will be something he will embrace. Tom Lynch has the forward line covered. Risk is that it’s too different and he will give away free kicks
Maybe a week by week proposition.

When Jack returns should we play him down back?
A great win last night no doubt our best win since the 17 GF unless your biaseddustyfan :D
However i fear that Astbury in the absence of Rance has gone back into his shell.Lost confidence,Doesn't take the game on(not that he did that much anyway)and basically its upto others around him too cover for him.
Put it this way if it wasn't for Grimes last night we would have lost the game.Opposition will now identify that if you can keep Grimes out of the play ala Rance then your on a good chance to beat us.
I propose in light of Astbury's going back into his shell i suggest we use Jack down back for the rest of the season.He's a class above most in our side and it would give our backline a bit of calmness with him down back.
Some will say we should use Balta.Sure if our season is shot.But its not besides i think for the moment his best position is giving Nank a spell.

B:Grimes,Astbury,Broad.
HB:Vlas,Jack,Stack.

Thoughts?

I thin your right about Astbury but i think he'll get his mojo back, had moments last night but i think jack is a forward period. kinda like movng Rance to the forward, that was a bad experiment.

I thin your right about Astbury but i think he'll get his mojo back, had moments last night but i think jack is a forward period. kinda like movng Rance to the forward, that was a bad experiment.

I was thinking more of 2016 Martin to the backline and we know how well that worked out. Remember we won the 2017 flag by playing to and maximising our strengths, not by minimising our weaknesses. By trying to turn Riewoldt into a very poor man's Alex Rance we weaken what should be the most potent and dangerous forward line in the AFL, which is our best shot at winning a premiership in a very even year. And despite those that advocate defense above all else, history has shown that the team that scores the most goals in a match invariably wins. Taking Riewoldt away from the forward line is just doing the opposition a really big favour.

Last edited:
Perhaps.But i think Jack is a very smart footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i just think with Lynch in the forward line Jack moves to CHF. i actually didnt think our back was that bad, definitely needs work without Rance but it wasn't s**t house.
Be interesting who goes to Buddy this week.

Can’t forget that Houli is yet to come back in, which should bolster the efforts up back.

We need a tall like Jack lurking up the wing waiting for kicks out of the defensive 50 and take the contested mark or bring to ground for the mids.

So many times against Port we bombed it outta 50 to blokes like Higgins and Shedda who have no chance of competing with talls like Ryder and Westhoff in a contest, and Lynch just stuck back in the forward line. As soon as he was moved up, he actually took the contested mark coming out of defence, and created momentum for some forward entries.

Be great if that was Jack, who then had the option of Lynch up forward, or vice versa.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would rather see how damaging Jack will be up forward when him and Lynch get their Mojo working together.

Lets see how easy Jack finds this full forward game when 3 defenders are hanging off Lynch.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Jacks not a defender. He is the best forward in the league. What we do need to be careful is how our forwardline structures up not who needs to be outed. For me its about playing to our team strengths and having our players play to their individual strengths.

Lynch is a stay at home forward so we should play him 20m from goal. Caddy is great at bringing the ball to ground and creating space/opportunities for our crumbers. Jack is incredibly creative. He can do it all - lead up mark, crumb, forward pressure, link up play and set up others. This is why I think he makes the ideal CHF. He can push up the wings to turn and find someone in the forward fifty. He can push back into the F50 to mark and bring the ball to ground.

I think moving into the backline was like moving Rance to the forward line or Michael Jordan switching to baseball - yes they were ok in their new position/sport but they are superstars when they play to their natural strengths. Jack is the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back