Analysis Where does Buddy Franklin rank amongst the greats?

Buddy's rank of all time players

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont think u can say anyone was beyond Lockett,was a freak in shiit teams,72 goals in first 9 games before injury in '89 iirc,on target for 160+
&.... if my maths is correct hes kicked the quickest 100 as well,think its during the 15th game...Coleman going by all reports was a freak as well
Coleman played 98 games for 537 goals. After 98 games Hudson had 578 goals. Lockett had 371.
Hudson played 129 games for 727 goals. Lockett had kicked 575 goals after 129 games.
To be fair Lockett debuted at 17 - Coleman was 20 and Hudson 21. If you ignore his first three seasons (175 goals), Lockett kicked 551 goals in his next 98 games, and 715 in 129.
I'd say all three are comparable and would have had similar careers if they'd started at the same age and played the same number of games.

Snr enjoyed 1 on 1 defending with no tactics, no zone and no flooding. Buddy kicked 1000 goals with 18 people flooding the forwardline, all standing in perfect spots to block his leading space… plus more pressure on the ball carrier than ever before by a mile. Buddy wins EASILY.

Yes there was no coaching until millenials were born and everything predating millennials was a stone age society

Yeah… this may surprise you, but the afl and it’s coaching was extremely amateurish 40 years ago. Sometimes the truth hurts, things weren’t always better back in your day

But when you compare the two Buddy is s**t. There's daylight between them it's like saying Blink 182 is better than Led Zeppelin. Which you'd probably agree with actually.

But when you compare the two Buddy is sh*t. There's daylight between them it's like saying Blink 182 is better than Led Zeppelin. Which you'd probably agree with actually.

Right... why is Buddy s**t when you compare the two exactly? I'll ignore your post about bands because it's such an idiotic nonsensical analogy that it's not worth tearing apart.

Right... why is Buddy sh*t when you compare the two exactly? I'll ignore your post about bands because it's such an idiotic nonsensical analogy that it's not worth tearing apart.

Because he runs around like a headless chook. He's poor at competing against other players therefore uses his athleticism to avoid them

I struggle to recall Buddy even marking the ball with one hand. Ablett could kick them over his shoulder without even looking. Sure in an era where nobody can kick straight Buddy is the GOAT but otherwise not so much

Last edited:
Because he runs around like a headless chook. He's poor at competing against other players therefore uses his athleticism to avoid them

I struggle to recall Buddy even marking the ball with one hand. Ablett could kick them over his shoulder without even looking. Sure in an era where nobody can kick straight Buddy is the GOAT but otherwise not so much

If Ablett played in this era he is kicking a lot fewer goals.

If Ablett played in this era he is kicking a lot fewer goals.

Maybe. But the difference between then and today is players back then didn't crumble under pressure.

I'd argue the ones that didn't crumble under pressure were the better players. Even though I understand the pressure and expectations in the league are greater today.

We have international cricket players who were incredibly accurate and that pressure is still bigger than current AFL.

Maybe. But the difference between then and today is players back then didn't crumble under pressure.

Nonsense. The reason why skill execution is harder in the modern game is the pressure applied. I mean in 1988 a team averaged around 24 tackles per match, which is about 1 tackle every 5 minutes. With much less pressure on the ball carrier it is much easier to execute your skills correctly.

I'd argue the ones that didn't crumble under pressure were the better players. Even though I understand the pressure and expectations in the league are greater today.

We have international cricket players who were incredibly accurate and that pressure is still bigger than current AFL.

"maybe".

Jesus you truly have no ******* idea what you're talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nonsense. The reason why skill execution is harder in the modern game is the pressure applied.

That also coupled with the fact the modern players can't handle the pressure. A set shot is a free kick therefore the only pressure is psychological. And that psychological pressure pales in comparison to representing your country internationally.

The guys in the 90's kicked that same oval shaped ball far more accurately. Fact is they could handle the psychological pressure. We've already seen the modern AFL players can't my Geelong team is an example of it every September.

That also coupled with the fact the modern players can't handle the pressure. A set shot is a free kick therefore the only pressure is psychological. And that psychological pressure pales in comparison to representing your country internationally.

The guys in the 90's kicked that same oval shaped ball far more accurately. Fact is they could handle the psychological pressure. We've already seen the modern AFL players can't my Geelong team is an example of it every September.

Can you please provide some evidence for your claims? Post the proof that players in the 80s were more accurate from the same distance on the same angle and under the same fatigue, thanks.

Last edited:
Can you please provide some evidence for your claims? Post the proof that players in the 80s were more accurate from the same distance on the same angle and under the same fatigue, thanks.

I see you've ignored my previous post.

Why is Ablett not as good when you compare the two exactly?

and you seem to be ignoring what we are saying as all we are saying is Ablett would not kick as many goals in the modern game as he did during his era. Even without considering Buddy I don't think the above point is that controversial.

and you seem to be ignoring what I'm saying. Ablett would still kick more than Buddy even with the increased pressure in the modern era being a factor.

and you seem to be ignoring what we are saying as all we are saying is Ablett would not kick as many goals in the modern game as he did during his era. Even without considering Buddy I don't think the above point is that controversial.

yes he would. He’d be training at a professional level as well so he’d be even better, as would Lockett Carey Dunstall and Matthews.

one thing that always stands the test of time in this game is natural skill.

While he played a few big games for Hawthorn in finals is efforts in finals for Sydney have been really poor. For some reason this gets overlooked. He has a reputation for performing on the big stage which just doesn't stack up. He's a great athlete and all that but when it comes to the crunch he hasn't really delivered consistently in the games that count and he's had plenty of chances over his career.

Back