Prediction Where is Maynard going to end up playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's an offensive midfielder, a Stewart Dew type. Let him loose on a wing and give him some minutes off the back end of the square. His long kicking is better than his pin point stuff atm...but he's a weapon. Let's use him like one.

This is where I'm at with him.

We need weapons on the last line, but his mental capacity will always inhibit his ability to be much more than an AFL standard defender. Comparing him to the likes of Scharenberg and Langdon who just have brains made for footy and it highlights the importance of a shift up the field.

Until there's change in the coaching group we're largely stuck with him and JDG being played out of position, but at least they're persisting with him as opposed to the yoyo act with Scharenberg!

If you play him at half back and guarantee he would never get dragged onto the last line of defence I would keep him there. But seeing as you can't guarantee that I would prefer him further up the ground, he's a strong lad with a good shoe and could be a very good wingman.

See him as a HB/wing/HF type who could impact as a 7th defender playing off the back of the square in a similar role to that Adams plays quite a bit. Down the pecking order for genuine midfield time at this stage. Happy for him to continue at HB at the moment.

Would you seriously trust Maynard below his knees, in and outside traffic with clean hands to set up play or extract ala Pendles or Treloar?

I don't see it.

He's a limited player.

If he cannot play on a half back flank, I don't see a role for him at AFL level.

Spot on. He's playing the easiest position on the field and making a complete debacle of it.
A LONG stint in the vfl where he is instructed to learn how to kick the ball properly is where he should be.
To think he's playing the same spot as legends like Shane Morwood and Gavin Crosisca is unbelievable.

This is where I'm at with him.

We need weapons on the last line, but his mental capacity will always inhibit his ability to be much more than an AFL standard defender. Comparing him to the likes of Scharenberg and Langdon who just have brains made for footy and it highlights the importance of a shift up the field.

Until there's change in the coaching group we're largely stuck with him and JDG being played out of position, but at least they're persisting with him as opposed to the yoyo act with Scharenberg!
Yeah spot on. Developing composure when you're attacking is easier than when you're defending. Let's hope it'll hold him in good stead rather than shatter his confidence, and that he can get up the ground and get his kicking game in gear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back