• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Roll up, roll up folks, come one come all.

Team lists are now sorted and so the only confounding factors remaining in determining the ladder are pre season injuries, in season injuries and of course what bullshit rule change goalpost shifting the AFL will do. Well, those and how well the teams actually play.

Anyway, thing is, most things should be settled enough for us now to have a crack at doing predictions.

Also, I'm not going to hide the fact that I do these so I can shutdown all the whingeing, negative, cry baby, sookies and dumb arses we have on here. You see, if the crows are as crap as they say, then they'll have to predict them to go poorly, so then they lack credibility if we go well, if they predict they'll go well, how can they say we're so crap? Some I have noticed will avoid doing predictions, so they can always have their post hoc correctness, we can always just look up these threads (I'll do two others) and call them out on it. Ahh, I love predictions and taking it to the real world.

So, without further ado, I better provide some of my own predictions about the ladder

I think crows will finish top four. We should have finished top four this year, when no one really expected us to, coming from having all sorts of issues. We should go as good again if not better, some of the competition will likely have faded ie hawks and geelong, whilst we blooded players, are young and gaining experience, had some really important attributes (speed and ball use in hampton, menzel, seed and knight) sitting in the stands a lot. We recruited to fix this weakness as well. For once we go in with a settled coaching lineup. Main concern is really our lack of experience, battle hardening and finals hardening. I would not rule Adelaide out of finishing top, big call I know, but in a coupla weeks when I get some time, I'll go thru some data which I reckon can show why that's a decent call.

Other top four contenders
Sydney, GWS, WB*
*depends if they take performance enhancers and get a ride from AFL HQ this year or not

I thought I would come up with 5 or 6 additional top four contenders but there isn't really a lot to like outside of the ones named above.

I think Hawks and Geelong will drop with loss of experience, WC without Nic Nat will not go as well, though they're probably the next cab off the rank. Kangaroos will drop. Next best after WC is probably a couple out of Saints, Melb, Port and more speculatively, Collingwood, Freo, GC, Ess and Richmond.

The middle of the ladder will likely be the droppers such as Hawks and Geelong plus the speculatives for the top 8 listed above.

The bottom of the ladder will be Bris, Carlton, Kangaroos, with possible guest appearances, if a lot of things go wrong, by Richmond, GC and maybe Freo.

I was optimistic pre-pre season that we would pick up some midfield grunt and snag a top four next year.
However, I've been progressively lowering my expectations a bit since then.

I don't think top 4 is out of the question if things go well, and we do in fact progress from within, however I feel like we will be in the bottom half of the top 8 again. Not a good feeling.

Well based on the draw I saw I think we can win 19 games. Alternatively if the wheels fall of we will win 14.

Top 2 for the Crows next year.

Top 4 in no order
Sydney
Bulldogs
Crows
GWS

Next
Geelong

Coming in
Melbourne
Saints

Staying by the skin of their teeth or in that big bunch
Hawthorn
West Coast

The big bunch
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Carlton
Richmond
Fremantle

The rest

Reckon we'll slide back a fraction

7th-10th

Can't expect as good an injury run as last season. Plus I don't expect forwards like Jenkins to play out of their skin again. Lastly the back-to-back finals thumpings must have knocked around some of our belief.

6th.

Top teams (GWS, Sydney and Bulldogs) are still clearly better than us. We're in the next pack but I can't see us making the top 4
This is about where I see us finishing.

But with more game time into guys like Milera, CEY, Hampton, Knight and I hope Greenwood.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

if we repeat the same selection mistakes as this year we'll be 6-9 - if they actually learnt something top 4 is a possibility.

so with that in mind, we'll probably finish around 7th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my guess from the main board thread ...

Greater Western Sydney - top 4
Western Bulldogs -
arrow_green_up.png
top 4
Adelaide -
arrow_green_up.png
top 4
Sydney - top 4
---------------------------------
Geelong -
arrow_red_down.png
5 to 8
West Coast - 5 to 8
St Kilda
arrow_green_up.png
- 5 to 8
Gold Coast -
arrow_green_up.png
5 to 8
Hawthorn -
arrow_red_down.png
9 to 12
North Melbourne -
arrow_red_down.png
9 to 12
Melbourne - 9 to 12
Essendon -
arrow_green_up.png
9 to 12
Collingwood -
arrow_red_down.png
bottom 6
Port Adelaide -
arrow_red_down.png
bottom 6
Fremantle - bottom 6
Carlton - bottom 6
Richmond - bottom 6
Brisbane Lions - bottom 6

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my guess from the main board thread ...

Greater Western Sydney - top 4
Western Bulldogs
arrow_green_up.png
- top 4
Adelaide
arrow_green_up.png
- top 4
Sydney - top 4
Geelong -
arrow_red_down.png
5 to 8
West Coast - 5 to 8
St Kilda
arrow_green_up.png
- 5 to 8
Gold Coast -
arrow_green_up.png
5 to 8
Hawthorn -
arrow_red_down.png
9 to 12
North Melbourne -
arrow_red_down.png
9 to 12
Melbourne - 9 to 12
Essendon -
arrow_green_up.png
9 to 12
Collingwood -
arrow_red_down.png
bottom 6
Port Adelaide -
arrow_red_down.png
bottom 6
Fremantle - bottom 6
Carlton - bottom 6
Richmond - bottom 6
Brisbane Lions - bottom 6

I'd swap Gold Coast and Melbourne, and Port Adelaide and Essendon

I'd swap Gold Coast and Melbourne, and Port Adelaide and Essendon
Yeah, there's a few outliers in there that could be miles off.

I just see Gold Coast bouncing fast with a normal run of injuries - Power could go the other way, but it is not a huge impossibility that they drop a bit more before they start to come back up the ladder. Melbourne I'm just unsure of, they should continue the upward trend but they are without Roos next year and I don't think Lewis will be enough to get them up to the next level immediately. Essendon I think we all want them to be ordinary, but they have a massive advantage of all of their players coming back rested and busting to play PLUS their youth has been exposed ... not to mention the easiest of easy fixture in 2017. Very possible that they improve quickly.

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Bulldogs
4. Adelaide
5. West Coast
6. St Kilda
7. Melbourne
8. Hawthorn
--------------
9. Geelong
10. Collingwood
11. Port Adelaide
12. Gold Coast
13. Essendon
14. Richmond
15. North Melbourne
16. Fremantle
17. Carlton
18. Brisbane

I thought we would be top 4 in 2016, we were close, except for the perennial piss weak efforts when the pressure was on. So the question is, can we beat up on the minnows enough to make top 4 in 2017? If so then we will make it. And in the extremely unlikely event that we stop with the wilting under pressure then the question isn't top 4 it is premiership, injury and stupid suspension count permitting.

We had the chance to put more class on the field to mitigate our piss weakness, but we didn't so the pressure is on even earlier for our senior players to perform.

I think that all clubs will show some improvement on how they played in 2016. That would also include us. The question is who will show the greatest level of improvement. So will our level of improvement be enough to climb the ladder and into the top 4. I don't believe so. I think this year we missed an opportunity to give some of our younger players a taste of the big time. In 2017 hopefully we will give these player greater exposure and make 2018 our year.

So I think we will stay in the same group of 5-8.

Think the top 4 will be
WB, GWS, Sydney & West Coast.

1-7. I think we have enough to grind out a finals spot at worst, unless being decimated by injuries, but the unknown is it's 2nd year of Pykes gameplan. That consistency could see us lift up a notch. Especially as it has been a while since we've had it.

Roll up, roll up folks, come one come all.

Team lists are now sorted and so the only confounding factors remaining in determining the ladder are pre season injuries, in season injuries and of course what bullshit rule change goalpost shifting the AFL will do. Well, those and how well the teams actually play.

Anyway, thing is, most things should be settled enough for us now to have a crack at doing predictions.

Also, I'm not going to hide the fact that I do these so I can shutdown all the whingeing, negative, cry baby, sookies and dumb arses we have on here. You see, if the crows are as crap as they say, then they'll have to predict them to go poorly, so then they lack credibility if we go well, if they predict they'll go well, how can they say we're so crap? Some I have noticed will avoid doing predictions, so they can always have their post hoc correctness, we can always just look up these threads (I'll do two others) and call them out on it. Ahh, I love predictions and taking it to the real world.

So, without further ado, I better provide some of my own predictions about the ladder

I think crows will finish top four. We should have finished top four this year, when no one really expected us to, coming from having all sorts of issues. We should go as good again if not better, some of the competition will likely have faded ie hawks and geelong, whilst we blooded players, are young and gaining experience, had some really important attributes (speed and ball use in hampton, menzel, seed and knight) sitting in the stands a lot. We recruited to fix this weakness as well. For once we go in with a settled coaching lineup. Main concern is really our lack of experience, battle hardening and finals hardening. I would not rule Adelaide out of finishing top, big call I know, but in a coupla weeks when I get some time, I'll go thru some data which I reckon can show why that's a decent call.

Other top four contenders
Sydney, GWS, WB*
*depends if they take performance enhancers and get a ride from AFL HQ this year or not

I thought I would come up with 5 or 6 additional top four contenders but there isn't really a lot to like outside of the ones named above.

I think Hawks and Geelong will drop with loss of experience, WC without Nic Nat will not go as well, though they're probably the next cab off the rank. Kangaroos will drop. Next best after WC is probably a couple out of Saints, Melb, Port and more speculatively, Collingwood, Freo, GC, Ess and Richmond.

The middle of the ladder will likely be the droppers such as Hawks and Geelong plus the speculatives for the top 8 listed above.

The bottom of the ladder will be Bris, Carlton, Kangaroos, with possible guest appearances, if a lot of things go wrong, by Richmond, GC and maybe Freo.

Before we get into this, someone (you?) needs to forensically analyze last year's predictions (both BF and "expert") against the actual results. There's no point in predicting into the vacuum: perhaps we should give an award to the most accurate and ridicule the hopeless? ;)

Back