Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters
Probably. Our game at Optus had a pretty big build up though, especially over here as you were the reigning premier and we had won like 7 or 8 in a row at that stage.
I know plenty of people don't like Richmond but the fact is we're a BIG club with a massive following and the biggest membership. The AFL will fixture us at the MCG because at the end of the day it's a business and we have numerous co-tenants so we also play away games there

I know plenty of people don't like Richmond but the fact is we're a BIG club with a massive following and the biggest membership. The AFL will fixture us at the MCG because at the end of the day it's a business and we have numerous co-tenants so we also play away games there
I'm not really concerned about when games are held, aside from convenience factor for me as I do not live in the city at the moment. This is why I say Sunday afternoon games and Friday night games are the pits here.

As for the fixture in general, aside from some banter I'm not really concerned about what Richmond or Collingwood have, although I don't want to see seven straight MCG games before finals for a flag favourite again. I think more about the things that could potentially be done to level the playing field at our end, considering our travel burden and considering we do not get many games at the MCG which is where we have to play if we want to win.

I'm not really concerned about when games are held, aside from convenience factor for me as I do not live in the city at the moment. This is why I say Sunday afternoon games and Friday night games are the pits here.

As for the fixture in general, aside from some banter I'm not really concerned about what Richmond or Collingwood have, although I don't want to see seven straight MCG games before finals for a flag favourite again. I think more about the things that could potentially be done to level the playing field at our end, considering our travel burden and considering we do not get many games at the MCG which is where we have to play if we want to win.
Played away plenty of times before the bye and were outside the 8 at the time, fixture is done prior to the season and other Melbourne based teams want to play Richmond and Collingwood at the MCG, Geelong whinge about it but request they play us there knowing how many people will attend.

It was never an issue till 2017 and we finished 13th the previous year so no one expected us to win.
My preference is still Saturday afternoon games but I do my best to get to every game here and 2 or 3 interstate games every year

Played away plenty of times before the bye and were outside the 8 at the time, fixture is done prior to the season and other Melbourne based teams want to play Richmond and Collingwood at the MCG, Geelong whinge about it but request they play us there knowing how many people will attend.

It was never an issue till 2017 and we finished 13th the previous year so no one expected us to win.
My preference is still Saturday afternoon games but I do my best to get to every game here and 2 or 3 interstate games every year
Well it wasn't like you came from nowhere in 2019, you were the favourite just ahead of us. Richmond missing finals is suddenly a very unlikely proposition. Geelong whinge about everything.

Well it wasn't like you came from nowhere in 2019, you were the favourite just ahead of us. Richmond missing finals is suddenly a very unlikely proposition. Geelong whinge about everything.
We play 11 home games like every other team, it's just unlike others we share our home ground with a few teams. We're always going to play Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Carlton and Geelong home and away at the MCG.

Powerhouse is a bit of a stretch, mate.

2 flags in almost 40 years.
8 finals appearances since 1982
9 final wins since 1982.

$4 million in profits, compared to West Coasts $8 million in 2019.

Even at Richmond's peak, they can only generate half the amount of profit of West Coast, and that is taking in to account all of the non-football revenue streams, like the Wantirna club and Aligned Leisure.

That doesn't sound like powerhouse club to me, let alone the biggest club in the competition.
Umm...; you do know there is a difference between:
'have now become a powerhouse': 2 premierships in the last 3 years; 10 more wins than any other team since the start of 2017; significantly bigger membership than any other side in each of the last 4 years; one of the highest attendances in the last 3 years; and one of the best financial positions amongst the clubs
Versus you attacking a made up thing which no Richmond supporter has said (ie no Tiges supporter has said that we have been a powerhouse over the last 40 years).
So are you purposefully talking about something other that no Richmond supporter has said - or do you just have a bad comprehension of basic English?

Last edited:
Umm...; you do know their is a difference between:
'have now become a powerhouse': 2 premierships in the last 3 years; 10 more wins than any other team since the start of 2017; significantly bigger membership than any other side in each of the last 4 years; one of the highest attendances in the last 3 years; and one of the best financial positions amongst the clubs
Versus you attacking a made up thing which no Richmond supporter has said (ie no Tiges supporter has said that we have been a powerhouse over the last 40 years).
So are you purposefully talking about something other that no Richmond supporter has said - or do you just have a bad comprehension of basic English?
We're definitely a powerhouse again, funny part is no one questions Collingwood but they've won 3 flags since WWII.

It's been West Coast supporters doing all of the whinging. And hasn't it been incredible how whingey and whiney they are? They've put Geelong supporters to shame, which is something I'd previously not thought possible.
But the reality of the matter (and I understand how victimised some Eagles supporters feel by reality) is that no matter how many teams went to W.A., they'd still have to isolate for 2 weeks. This takes W.A. out of the equation.

But please don't let that basic fact interfere with your undying commitment to incessant whinging about how all of your imagined entitlements aren't being granted. As you were.

we took lessons for whinging from your clubs coaches and players
Princess Jack can sleep in his own bed now, hopefully his embarrassing squealing has stopped

Interesting statement from James Brayshaw regarding which club is the biggest.

West Coast lead Collingwood and Richmond in the Roy Morgan polls so Brayshaw's statement may not be too far fetched.

AFL.com.au official poll results regarding this subject make for interesting reading.

Which club do you think has the biggest supporter base?

Brayshaw would know all about powerhouse clubs and BIG clubs 🤣🤣🤣

Once again, you punch yourself in the dick.

You're getting good at that.

30 years ago, your club was rattling tins, about to get kicked out of the competition.

Collingwood put in the bin during the the trade wars and left your club on life support, then sent you a cheque for 10K.

Power move by Collingwood.

1980 GF was 40 years ago. And in those 40 years between now and then, Richmond have 3 flags and 9 finals appearances. Hardly stats that back up the claim that Richmond are the biggest club in the land.
And pies have 2 flags so what does that say about the pies, since WWII Dees have more flags than the pies and they haven't won since 1964.
Pies 3 flags since 1960, Richmond has 7 if we're talking facts

And pies have 2 flags so what does that say about the pies, since WWII Dees have more flags than the pies and they haven't won since 1964.
Pies 3 flags since 1960, Richmond has 7 if we're talking facts
wrong pies only have 2 flags since 1960

Ummm. 30 years ago Richmond defeated Collingwood in what was at that time the biggest grand final thrashing in VFL history.
You and reality appear to be mortal enemies.
This is like watching (ok, reading) a long rally tennis point. Not taking sides, but prior to 2017, Tiges had no success for 37 years (if I recall correctly).

The answer is WC.

Vic has 6.6m people between 10 teams, WA has 2.6m between two. 660k per team vs 1.3m. But fan bases are split up equally. Richmond and Collingwood are better supported than North and Melbourne, but WC are better supported than Freo.

For the last two years WC have averaged 53k across 20 home games at Optus Stadium not involving Freo.

Richmond have played 7 home games at the MCG and 2 at Docklands vs non-Victorian opponents for an average crowd of 48k.
Collingwood have played 7 home games at the MCG and 2 at Docklands vs non-Victorian opponents for an average crowd of 41k.

For all the talk of 80k, 90k, 100k members it's kinda bullshit. If Collingwood and Richmond were as well supported as people make out then they should easily average 50k+ to their games without the need for opposition fans, MCC members, AFL members etc to pad it out.
Wow. Lets just select the stats that support our argument and ignore those that don't. Average home game crowd attendances for 2018 - 2019, each club having 22 home games total: Richmond - 60 000+. WCE - 53 000+. Collingwood 53 000+. For the record, the 2 (home) WCE vs Freo games averaged 58000. Not surprising as WCE supporters flock there expecting an easy kill.

Wow. Lets just select the stats that support our argument and ignore those that don't. Average home game crowd attendances for 2018 - 2019, each club having 22 home games total: Richmond - 60 000+. WCE - 53 000+. Collingwood 53 000+. For the record, the 2 (home) WCE vs Freo games averaged 58000. Not surprising as WCE supporters flock there expecting an easy kill.

Well the whole point of the thread is to discuss which team has the biggest supporter base. If you want to start a Coll vs Rich vs Ess vs whoever pissing contest for who gets the highest average crowds for a season go ahead, we will tap out because we play in a 60k seat stadium (previously 43k) in a two team town. And it's a ridiculous debate anyway. North go close to filling Marvel when they play Essendon and nowhere near it when they play Port. Funny that.

Last year our lowest home crowd was 48k vs Gold Coast. The year before 47k vs WB. Richmond 39k and 33k, Collingwood 34k and 31k.

It isn't rocket science. If you have 80k or 90k or 100k "members" and play (95% of the time) in a stadium that holds 100k people, where are they? Any Melbourne based supporter of any Melbourne team can buy an 11 game membership, if they want. Outside ANZAC Day, the GF and the odd prelim you can buy tickets to almost every game in Melbourne, if you want. Certain clubs average 50-60k because of the fixture. No club outside WA actually gets 50k+ or their own fans to their games.

Well the whole point of the thread is to discuss which team has the biggest supporter base. If you want to start a Coll vs Rich vs Ess vs whoever pissing contest for who gets the highest average crowds for a season go ahead, we will tap out because we play in a 60k seat stadium (previously 43k) in a two team town. And it's a ridiculous debate anyway. North go close to filling Marvel when they play Essendon and nowhere near it when they play Port. Funny that.

Last year our lowest home crowd was 48k vs Gold Coast. The year before 47k vs WB. Richmond 39k and 33k, Collingwood 34k and 31k.

It isn't rocket science. If you have 80k or 90k or 100k "members" and play (95% of the time) in a stadium that holds 100k people, where are they? Any Melbourne based supporter of any Melbourne team can buy an 11 game membership, if they want. Outside ANZAC Day, the GF and the odd prelim you can buy tickets to almost every game in Melbourne, if you want. Certain clubs average 50-60k because of the fixture. No club outside WA actually gets 50k+ or their own fans to their games.

Your 1st paragraph of this post was simply what my reply was aiming at. How could anyone really know. People vehemently claiming their team has the biggest supporter base is understandable and quite likely "one-eyed". But basing it on membership numbers and game attendance averages does not make it definitive. If I had to guess, my thinking would be Collingwood - them feral's seem to be everywhere! Your comment about WA based teams getting 5ok+ to each games is very factual and should/would be expected. Based on their large membership numbers and only having the opportunity to attend a game every fortnight, which I imagine would only increase the hunger and desire to go, a paid up member would be foolish not to attend. Cheers.

Your 1st paragraph of this post was simply what my reply was aiming at. How could anyone really know. People vehemently claiming their team has the biggest supporter base is understandable and quite likely "one-eyed". But basing it on membership numbers and game attendance averages does not make it definitive. If I had to guess, my thinking would be Collingwood - them feral's seem to be everywhere! Your comment about WA based teams getting 5ok+ to each games is very factual and should/would be expected. Based on their large membership numbers and only having the opportunity to attend a game every fortnight, which I imagine would only increase the hunger and desire to go, a paid up member would be foolish not to attend. Cheers.

The number of people who turn up to watch games is a pretty good indicator of support. It's not foolproof, but if you have a lot of supporters and are successful that normally translates to big crowds. Essendon have been ordinary for a while and still get good crowds. Hawthorn get healthy enough crowds most of the time and have a sizeable bandwagon contingent when they win flags. Carlton have been worse than Essendon but still have plenty of supporters. The Bulldogs broke a flag drought but they still aren't going to get Coll/Rich crowds. Etc.

None of the teams in Melbourne are constrained by stadium size, Richmond and Collingwood could theoretically sell out all 16-17 home and away games a year in Melbourne - but they don't. Richmond vs Collingwood in Rd 2 last year got 70k. So plenty more fans of either club could have gone.

I don't actually care if we are '#1 best supported team'. I'd rather win the flag and get 40k at Subi than get 55k at Optus and miss the 8. We consistently get good crowds (capped by Subiaco/Optus), earn high revenues and turn profits. The club is stable and that has translated to 7 trips to the finals in 9 years so far this decade which is the whole point of footy clubs making money: stability. Just highlighting that Victorians get carried away with a dozen or so big crowds at the MCG each year and ignore context. The AFL is completely different to most other leagues that play home and away seasons where teams have their own grounds. So Melb vs non-Melb clubs are apples and oranges. Even in Sydney and Qld where they no longer ground share the derby crowds vary based on who is the home team. GWS' highest crowds are hosting Sydney, Sydney hosting GWS is a non factor.

I do find it weird that people try and pinpoint the reasons why WC (or Adelaide, Freo, whoever) should get big crowds rather than just accepting that those reasons have led to massive supporter bases - hence the crowds and revenues etc. WA is a footy state of 2.6m people. At worst support is a 60/30/10 WC/Freo/other split and WC dominate the media coverage etc. to the point that it annoys non-WC fans and non-footy fans. Not even Eddie has the sort of reach in Vic that WC do here. James Brayshaw is right, and he actually knows a bit about sports in WA.

Are Richmond supported in WA? In SA they aren't. I'd say maybe 10% of the football supporting population would support a Non SA team. The top 3 would be Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon. Even Collingwood aren't that supported in SA.

I lived in SA for a number of years and I know Geelong have the biggest following in the state after the Crows and Power, followed by Carlton, then Essendon, then Collingwood.

Richmond and Hawthorn aren't big clubs when it comes to support in SA.

Now this is an interesting one given that in Victoria, we have the big 4 (Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond), and the small 4 (St Kilda, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne).

That leaves Geelong and Hawthorn aka the two middle children in a family of 10 clubs in Victoria, the question looms as to which club has the bigger supporter base out of the two.

As someone who's lived all around Australia in every state and territory barring the NT, I have a fair idea just how widely clubs are supported Australia wide.

Hawthorn seem to be recognised as having a larger supporter base than Geelong for some reason (I'm guessing membership numbers?) but here's the breakdown by state and territory.

VIC - Hawthorn are clearly bigger than Geelong.
TAS - Hawthorn are clearly bigger than Geelong.

NT - Never been there so can't comment.

ACT - Geelong are bigger than Hawthorn but not by a huge margin.
NSW - Geelong are clearly bigger than Hawthorn.
QLD - Geelong are clearly bigger than Hawthorn.
SA - Geelong as mentioned have the largest supporter base in SA outside the Crows and Power. Hawthorn don't come close to Geelong in terms of SA support.
WA - Geelong easily have the largest supporter base in WA outside the Eagles and Dockers and this stems from Polly Farmer. Many WA footy fans adopted Geelong as their team simply because Farmer was just a freak and people would watch Geelong games just to watch Farmer play. Hawthorn are a blip on the radar in comparison to Geelong in WA.

So if we're grouping the 10 VIC based teams from 1 to 10 aka largest to smallest supporter base nationwide the list looks like this..

1. Richmond
2. Collingwood
3. Essendon
4. Carlton
5. Geelong
6. Hawthorn
7. St Kilda
8. Melbourne
9. Western Bulldogs
10. North Melbourne

Back