Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

• Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton & Richmond.

Votes: 261 72.5%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & Collingwood.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Sydney, Essendon, Crows & West Coast.

Votes: 79 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could also point out when did the demons last win a premiership compared to the tigers. Both were rabbles at the time. This isn't really a melbourne Richmond comparison... Collingwood have had the staying power. At the moment Richmond might be a bit bigger but the real test will come when you're not making grand finals in a few years.

And there you go you just answered your own question. Pies have played in 45 GF's thats 1 in every 3 years on average so they havent really had 3 or 4 decades of being crap to test their supporters resolve. Well from 2014 to 2018 their membership dropped by almost 5K, they made the granny in 2018 and their membership jumped 10K this year.

How do you explain the Richmond vs Collingwood Home game only drawing 70,699 yet the Collingwood vs Richmond Home game drew 78,722

Mmm Thursday night tigers home game pretty good crowd i say.
Now how do you explain in 2018 72K pies home game but in RD 19 88K tigers home game? You're not that good at this game.

Why wouldn’t you include Away games. It’s not even in our mentality that you don’t attend Away games. We go to all games unlike Richmond. And if you want to talk Home season attendances Collingwood have the best two Home attendances in history and 5 of the best 7. Even in your Premiership years you couldn’t beat us. Home attendances, Away Attendances, Home and Away Attendances and Finals Attendances. We own them all.

Tiges have topped the home and away attendances in 3 of last 5 years and the other two 2nd. So your point is actually bullshit but please keep making a fool of yourself with your clueless posting.

Just on a side note about away games, of course, you can count them but they can be skewed on who you play i think i stated pies played ess twice and eagles and didn't play both gc and gws away. Richmond played both gc and gws away and only played ess and eagles once. For away game attendances thats massive and can bring numbers up or down and in this case pies get the leg up from the fixture and Richmond don't, thats not crap talking thats an actual fact.

Richmond supporters please answer this.

Why Have Richmond never drawn over 1.2 million in a season (even in a Premiership year) when Collingwood have done it 6 times including this year.

Why does it matter? you need everything going right and i mean the fixture.
I'll give you one example how easy the 1.2 could've been achieved. 2018 tiges finished on 1,194,893 and we played swans on a Thurs night at marvel got 44K (1st V 2nd), now had that game been played on our home ground the G on a Friday or sat it would draw min 65K. Add the extra 20k and theirs your 1.215 million.

Richmond has the longest streak of 90K finals crowds in history, 9 in a row.
2018 72k V gws thats cute by the pies, But hey u jumped up to 78K in 2019 Prelim.
Tiges just a lazy 95K v GWS in 2017 Prelim

Furthermore, we outnumbered your mob in the prelim easily, it was a sea of yellow and black. But ill give your mob one thing i havent come across one pies supporter who has disputed that.

Last edited:
West coast get much larger crowds for home games against Gold Coast, GWS, Port Adelaide and some other low drawing clubs than these two monster clubs in Richmond and Collingwood. Why do the fans of these two huge clubs not attend all their home fixtures?
With their membership one should think a minimum home MCG game against anyone should attract no less than 50-60k.

Eagles are from a 2 team state, and no 1 from that state plus in Vic we have the choice to attend games of more interest, that's the way it is and probably always will be. I could miss 5 games and still see a dozen tiger games. West Coast or freo miss 5 and u see what 6

Please don't say idiotic things. RD 14 Richmond wasn't even in the 8. Yes, we won the flag but its the next year u get the flow on, like the pies who made the granny in 2018.

2019 Home games Richmond finished on top, you know No 1. Home and away Collingwood but let's not fool ourselves on how the fixture works. Pies played Ess twice, Richmond played them once, pies played eagles twice, tigers once, Richmond played gws and GC both away pies only GWS away. This has a massive say on overall attendances. I can make one change to the fixture pies play Ess once and Tigers twice. Pies then play GC away instead. Tiges finish on top in H&A attendances. If you wanna try and come across smart at least tell it like it really is, you know the cold hard facts.

Yet you have still failed to answer why Richmond have failed to draw over 1.2 million through the gates when Collingwood has done it 6 times. So stop offering excuses and come up with facts. Please answer the question

I'll give you one example how easy the 1.2 could've been achieved. 2018 tiges finished on 1,194,893 and we played swans on a Thurs night at marvel got 44K (1st V 2nd), now had that game been played on our home ground the G on a Friday or sat it would draw min 65K. Add the extra 20k and theirs your 1.215 million.

2018 72k V gws thats cute by the pies, But hey u jumped up to 78K in 2019 Prelim.

Furthermore, we outnumbered your mob in the prelim easily, it was a sea of yellow and black. But ill give your mob one thing i havent come across one pies supporter who has disputed that.

Excuses. One club has done it 6 times. One has done it 0. One club has the capacity to draw big. One does not. The facts and records are with us. The evidence is with us. Keep hiding behind coulda woulda shoulda

Yeah you'll go close, but the basis for my argument is that West Coast are stupid wealthy come rain, hail or shine. Richmond is doing well this decade, but will drop off again if they start missing the 8 for a sustained period. Even in lean years West Coast make bank due to their assets and investments. To put it in perspective, we've just shelled out for a new training facility, we're starting up a women's team, we're paying royalties to the WAFL and we're STILL the richest club around.
After the 2017 flag,Collingwood got handed a huge sum by the gov and we got a bag of peanuts so Collingwood still have outside sway.

I remember Benny Gale not being happy about it.

Collingwood have played in front of the 7 biggest crowds in history.
-Collingwood have played in 9 of the 10 biggest H and A crowds in history.
-Collingwood have played in 16 of the 20 biggest crowds in Home and Away history.
-Collingwood have played in the biggest Home and Away crowd ever.
-Collingwood has played in the biggest finals crowd in history
-Collingwood has played in the biggest Grand Final crowd in history.
-Collingwood have played in the biggest all time crowd in the history of the game.
-Richmond’s only crowd over 91,000 required Collingwood to be in the game.
-Collingwood has the 2 biggest Home season averages and 4 of the top 5.
- Collingwood has the 5 biggest Away season averages.
- Collingwood has the 5 biggest Home and Away crowd averages in the history of football and 7 of the top 8.

-Collingwood have played in front of more people and in one season than anyone else.
-Collingwood have played in front of more people in the history of the game than anyone else

Oh but you got more to a GWS game. You make me laugh. Even in Premiership years we draw more people through the gate. Talk to me when you have the 6 biggest season averages in history. You can’t even get in the top 6.
Yet you have still failed to answer why Richmond have failed to draw over 1.2 million through the gates when Collingwood has done it 6 times. So stop offering excuses and come up with facts. Please answer the question
This whole "my club is bigger than your club" is laughable.
I'm happy for Collingwood to be the biggest club in the world if it makes you happy.
Maybe you can get a "biggest club in the world" car sticker to go with your 2018 Preliminaryship sticker... I'll make do with my 2017 $ 2019 Premiers stickers.
Win/win. 👍

If thats your rationale with Hawthorn, Geelong are lower

Pretty much...

The year the Cats missed the finals (2015) their CEO stated they couldn’t afford to miss the finals and remain competitive financially with the big clubs.

This is a club that has struggled to attract more than 50,000 to any fixtures not against Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond and Essendon

Hawthorn by contrast have made year on year profits in every season since 1997

This whole "my club is bigger than your club" is laughable.
I'm happy for Collingwood to be the biggest club in the world if it makes you happy.
Maybe you can get a "biggest club in the world" car sticker to go with your 2018 Preliminaryship sticker... I'll make do with my 2017 $ 2019 Premiers stickers.
Win/win. 👍

Unfortunately you can’t get as many stickers as us. Richmond always behind us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiges have topped the home and away attendances in 3 of last 5 years and the other two 2nd. So your point is actually bulls**t but please keep making a fool of yourself with your clueless posting.

Just on a side note about away games, of course, you can count them but they can be skewed on who you play i think i stated pies played ess twice and eagles and didn't play both gc and gws away. Richmond played both gc and gws away and only played ess and eagles once. For away game attendances thats massive and can bring numbers up or down and in this case pies get the leg up from the fixture and Richmond don't, thats not crap talking thats an actual fact.

Yes and we played GC at the MCG and Brisbane away which badly skewed out Home figures so thank you for proving my point.

We’re you born in 2017? Richmond are a force at the moment. Seriously! Enjoy it. But they’ve been irrelevant for decades. Putting them up next to Collingwood is laughable

Beautifully said.

If this is irrelevance, long may it last...

maxresdefault.jpg

9fe80263e57bb72fe2b2620f08649e36

If all of the vagaries of football could be magically even for 1min. (stadium size, fixture equality, form etc) WCE and ADL would surely be there, it would then be fight between Vic big 4, currently the tiges by virtue their build in the Hardwick era has grown and grown like no other club. The Magpies are hard to read as their base seems to fluctuate in a period of sustained quality performances from the Malthouse era til now. I clearly think they have the biggest support of any club from Vic, outside of Vic. I think Ess and the Blues have capacity to be 100K membership bases. They remind me of the tiges in that during an idle time on field, there is feeling of galvanising amongst the support, and the membership base is big as it ever has been, so when they make/win finals they will be right in the spot to capitalise on that winning 'bump' they will get from it. But the tiges and maggies have played their hand. The woods are still there until I see what the Dons and Blues can provide, but I suspect they will knock the pies to 5th or possibly 6th and the tiges may hold on to 4th, but maybe not.

Excuses LOL. I'm going to answer this and then leave it there because you have totally dismissed the explanation i gave. My explanation is actually based on facts, the fixture. The fixture is the key and the double-up games you get against higher drawing teams. Surely you know that as someone who is posting profusely on this matter.

Take away the double-up game V ess and pies don't reach 1.2 mill. See how easy that was. Both Rich and Pies top 4 on the ladder in 2018 and tiges topped the H&A attendances.
Anyway, you keep your 1.2 mill+ its not the end and be all.

Btw tiges have finished on top on home game attendances last 4 years straight. Are you saying pies need the away team to help you bump up ur attendances?
I'm being facetious, but you get my meaning surely.

Yes and we played GC at the MCG and Brisbane away which badly skewed out Home figures so thank you for proving my point.

Dude you're beyond help on simple logic, MCG holds 100K and pies got 33.5K+ V GC = able to bring the majority of their fans who live in Vic, play that at Metricon and u don't get over 20K (heck last year RD15 pies attendance V GC at Metricon was 13K). Like i said play that game at Metricon and you don't get over 1.2 mill.

hahahahahaha Brisbane away you got 34K that tells you the Gabba has the capacity and the lions a bigger drawcard than suns and gws to draw that crowd on Easter Thursday. But you played eagles RD3 at the G 'grand final rematch' and got 60K theirs the offset. I'm talking purely about GWS and GC at there home ground, stop moving the goal posts.

Now let's look at GWS average crowd is 12-15K at spotless thats for everyone tiges, pies, bombers etc
GC aint a draw card crowds under 20K. At the G you're able to bring your own fans, are you getting this?

Im leaving it there i explain pure facts you reply with nonsense.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you can’t get as many stickers as us. Richmond always behind us.

:rolleyes: stickers LOL, always beyond you double lol but tiges supporters have for the 2nd year in a row topped the most custom plates sold
Tiges sold 240, ess and pies combined 200.

If all of the vagaries of football could be magically even for 1min. (stadium size, fixture equality, form etc) WCE and ADL would surely be there, it would then be fight between Vic big 4, currently the tiges by virtue their build in the Hardwick era has grown and grown like no other club. The Magpies are hard to read as their base seems to fluctuate in a period of sustained quality performances from the Malthouse era til now. I clearly think they have the biggest support of any club from Vic, outside of Vic. I think Ess and the Blues have capacity to be 100K membership bases. They remind me of the tiges in that during an idle time on field, there is feeling of galvanising amongst the support, and the membership base is big as it ever has been, so when they make/win finals they will be right in the spot to capitalise on that winning 'bump' they will get from it. But the tiges and maggies have played their hand. The woods are still there until I see what the Dons and Blues can provide, but I suspect they will knock the pies to 5th or possibly 6th and the tiges may hold on to 4th, but maybe not.
The Pies membership would go close to Richmonds if they won 2 of the last 3 Gf. Richmond have been the best side over the last 3 years.

:rolleyes: stickers LOL, always beyond you double lol but tiges supporters have for the 2nd year in a row topped the most custom plates sold
Tiges sold 240, ess and pies combined 200.

Oh gee you are incapable even in your best years of drawing 1.2 million through the fate but you sold the most custom plates. You are beyond help. Richmond can’t u der shy circumstances draw 1.2 we can regularly

Furthermore, we outnumbered your mob in the prelim easily, it was a sea of yellow and black. But ill give your mob one thing i haven't come across one pies supporter who has disputed that.
I love how as soon as you guys started winning flags, all of the sudden you're the big dog in town. Collingwood have always been the biggest club, sure atm, Richmond appear bigger. But I can assure you if Collingwood had a 32 year drought and then won the flag, they'd be in a similar position you guys are right now. Attendances is only one aspect of size, tv ratings and revenue are crucial as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back