Which country produces the best comedy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Over TV history the UK by daylight.

Right here and now probably the US if you include the likes of Netflix and other streaming services.

Australia certainly isn't anywhere near a top 10 finish though. Diverging (it is GD after all), Australia culturally I'd say the two biggest influences are the US and UK. Yet two areas have always stood out, that as a country, we manage to not take good bits from either and end up with a steaming unique pile of s**t. Comedy one obviously - it's 'ha ha ha, yeah, those bogans are soo funny'.
The other is Architecture - UK has great traditional houses / terraces and the US has New England, Gothic and others that are great, Australia's contribution is to have square/rectangle soulless ******* boxes everywhere.

Us.

Yahoo serious.
Ted ballpitt.
Alvin purple.
Dame Edna.
Kevin bloody Wilson.
Graham kenneddy
Paul hogan.
Eric bana.
Mel Gibson.
Fast eddy

And the best

Over TV history the UK by daylight.

Right here and now probably the US if you include the likes of Netflix and other streaming services.

Australia certainly isn't anywhere near a top 10 finish though. Diverging (it is GD after all), Australia culturally I'd say the two biggest influences are the US and UK. Yet two areas have always stood out, that as a country, we manage to not take good bits from either and end up with a steaming unique pile of ****. Comedy one obviously - it's 'ha ha ha, yeah, those bogans are soo funny'.
The other is Architecture - UK has great traditional houses / terraces and the US has New England, Gothic and others that are great, Australia's contribution is to have square/rectangle soulless ******* boxes everywhere.

Australia is a lucky country.

Us.

Yahoo serious.
Ted ballpitt.
Alvin purple.
Dame Edna.
Kevin bloody Wilson.
Graham kenneddy
Paul hogan.
Eric bana.
Mel Gibson.
Fast eddy

And the best

*Cringe* to the list... the vid is good though...

Chris Lilley probably rates as the most talented Australian comedian...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This happens every time UK vs US comedy comes up. The UK stuff nominated ended decades ago. What British comedies are people watching now? I'm sure there's some but nobody seems to know.

Mrs Brown's Boys?

This happens every time UK vs US comedy comes up. The UK stuff nominated ended decades ago. What British comedies are people watching now? I'm sure there's some but nobody seems to know.

Peep Show only ended in 2015, in fact the whole era from 2003 til 2015 was full of Mitchell & Webb goodness.

Most UK comics seem to prefer getting their faces on panel shows nowadays though. David Mitchell included (I've not watched much of Upstart Crow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back