Analysis Which players 25 & under will be Elite?

Which players 25 & under Saints will be Elite? (max 10 votes)

• Coffield

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Zones

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Gresham

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steele

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Clark

Votes: 69 80.2%
  • King

Votes: 69 80.2%
  • Lonie

• Billings

Votes: 59 68.6%
  • Butler

• Marshall

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • Long

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Bytel

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • Battle

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Phillips

• Byrnes

• Patton

• Parker

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Sinclair

• McKenzie

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Wilke

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Clavarino

• Joyce

• Langlands

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gresh Marshall Clark for me. No idea about king yet. Don’t think any others get close

Battle looks like he's on the path to me as well.

Looks good but elite is another category altogether. Be hard for that to happen if he is a swing man. Also I suppose we all have a different definition of elite.

I think he showed he has elite traits. Compares pretty favourably to these spuds at the same age.

I think he showed he has elite traits. Compares pretty favourably to these spuds at the same age.

I reckon I could find ordinary backs that he compares to as well. Like I said if he is moving all around the place it won’t help. And for a side with no elite talent it would be a genuine fluke if there was 5 or 6 in the current group.

I reckon I could find ordinary backs that he compares to as well. Like I said if he is moving all around the place it won’t help. And for a side with no elite talent it would be a genuine fluke if there was 5 or 6 in the current group.

I was just winding you up. I agree playing as a swing man isn't the way to become elite usually. I think he's shown he'll be at least a top shelf type if he progresses like he has. He'd only played 8 games as a third tall forward before 2019. He was kicking a goal a game. He's gone back as a KP back with Wilkie as his second in command in a lot of games and Brown the only regular senior tall back. He was usually getting between 15 and 20 disposals most weeks and averages 5.5 marks a game. To me that's way above average for a 20 year old tall.

Interesting that Bytel has 13 votes. I feel Byrnes has better highlights and he has zero votes.
I wouldnt worry about the highlights reel , those things have burnt us before getting all worked up only to end up another delisting :'(

Doults the smokie here. Engine is now at an elite level. He’s trending upwards and has some very nice traits that can hopefully make him a very valuable player within a year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howard not getting much love. The Mongrel Punt guy reckons he will be elite and alongside Harris Andrews as a future star back. I didn't vote for him so a touch of hypocrisy.

Howard not getting much love. The Mongrel Punt guy reckons he will be elite and alongside Harris Andrews as a future star back. I didn't vote for him so a touch of hypocrisy.
I thought about it since there has been a lot of talk about his 'elite attributes' but didnt because I've only watched his highlights, not a full game so hard to determine how he actually is as a player.

Doults the smokie here. Engine is now at an elite level. He’s trending upwards and has some very nice traits that can hopefully make him a very valuable player within a year or two.
I like the kid but he is pretty sloppy by foot , maybe he will get better

No love for Steele? I already have him as one of our best players. I don't think its realistic to expect all of these other players selected above him in this poll, to go past him as a player.

All depends on what you class Elite as , are we talking AA because that's what id call Elite , best of the Best .
Ps , who was having a lend picking Parker ,
Being named in the AA team definitely makes a player elite in their position. But there are elite players not named in a particular year. So how many elite players are there in the competition? Maybe 40 out of 800. So top 5% I would consider elite.

No love for Steele? I already have him as one of our best players. I don't think its realistic to expect all of these other players selected above him in this poll, to go past him as a player.

He is probably close as a tagger but they don't get much love usually.

If it weren't for Port Adelaide's stupidity Howard would already be recognised as a star back. Led the league for spoils in 2018 with 217 from 20 games ahead of Andrews' 190 from 18.

Of course Know-it-alls know it all ...so these ballots should only be by invitation to say three or four individuals then the rest in the main sycophantically argy bargy over and flirt around those few know it alls opinions. Go out on a limb ..theres no right answer ..what does it matter..what does it cost?

One newish addition to the team's 25 and under list ...Hind .. not even on the above list unless i'm mistaken.... 25 yrs old. "Armed with a lethal sidestep and explosive pace, mature-age recruit Nicholas Hind delighted Saints fans in the back half of Season 2019. The Clunes native made his debut in Townsville after being flown over to China as a last-minute emergency, lining up in every game following the bye."
I think he has shown the capacity to head towards an elite profile if he improves as much again...yeah real long shot..but long shots are always way more interesting.

Someone was scoffing at Parker having the potential ...but again if the same leap can be made again ..i do believe he could shock many. "The West Australian burst onto the scene in the opening round of 2019, earning the admiration of the red, white and black through his forward pressure, aggression at the contest and exhilarating passages of play."

Then a complete long shot left field .....has to make the team first but I have this sense of destiny with this young fella...just something about him that evokes a faith in his rise and the strength he'll exude....more hoping perhaps, but we will see i guess. As was quoted on my Advocacy page for him "Mitch Cleary ran his eye over the players expected to take their game to the next level in 2020. from AFL.COM he states, "MAYO is a left-field option in his first full season after being taken in last year's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft." This is a massive stretch from elite but If he can prove much this year I believe he might go on and surprise many sooner rather than later.

Of course these polls and such are questions raised for entertainment value only and as such i imagine they're not to be taken too seriously ..and it is with fun in mind that i answer with the less than predictable offerings .......still worth a thoughtful dalliance none the less imo. I fully expect fair ridicule.....all fair in love and war as is said.

Last edited:
So Clark who is yet to play a game as a mid, and King who is yet to play a game are more likely to be elite than Gresham or Billings according to y'all? Interesting...

Back