Which team underachieved the most in the modern era?

Which of these teams was the biggest underachiever during those years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
The team that made the least of its legitimate chances to win more premierships.

Essendon 1999 - 2001

Finishes: 1st, 1st, 1st
Preliminary Finals: 3
Grand Finals: 2
Premierships: 1

Port Adelaide 2001 - 2004

Finishes: 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st,
Grand Finals: 1

Adelaide 2005 - 2006

Finishes: 1st, 1st
Preliminary Finals: 2
Grand Finals: 0
Premierships: 0

West Coast 2005 - 2007

Finishes: 2nd, 1st, 3rd
Grand Finals: 2

St. Kilda 2008 - 2010

Finishes: 4th, 1st, 3rd
Grand Finals: 2 (3)*

Western Bulldogs 2008 - 2010

Finishes: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd
Grand Finals: 0

Fremantle 2013 - 2015

Finishes: 3rd, 4th, 1st
Grand Finals: 1

* Only made the grand final 2 years, not 3

I don't think the Dogs should really be in this. Yes they made three straight Prelims, however each year they were a rung below the top two sides. They not only lost all three of their Prelims, they also lost each Qualifying Final they played, showing they just couldn't match it with the top two sides. Also they finished 4th in 2010, not 3rd.

For mine, it has to be St Kilda. Had a huge amount of top end talent, made it to the big dance but then their bottom half a dozen players let them down. I think what adds weight to this is just how close they went, up at 3QT in 2009 and a bounce away from snagging the drawn GF in 2010. This shows just how hard it is to win premierships, so any team that walked away with one can't have underperformed as much as those who came away empty handed.

Plus St Kilda also missed out in 04 & 05 (sorry to rub it in Sainters).

Eh 2004 and 2005 they were like the Bulldogs of 2008-2010, best of the rest but not good enough, Saints still got knocked out in both the Prelims by the eventual premiers. They did however knock off other listed underachievers Adelaide.

• Banned
Port were the best team from 2002-2004, didn't lose to Brisbane at the MCG once. If they didn't choke in 2001, 2002 and 2003, they may well have played off with Brisbane in 4 straight Grand Finals, and probably would of won at least one more.

Eh 2004 and 2005 they were like the Bulldogs of 2008-2010, best of the rest but not good enough, Saints still got knocked out in both the Prelims by the eventual premiers. They did however knock off other listed underachievers Adelaide.

I remember things differently. I don't think they were like the Bulldogs.

They fell over in the prelims. Were very capable of beating Brisbane in 04 and West Coast in 05.

In 2004 they were a great side. Went bloody close to knocking off Port in the prelim.

Had a forward line of Riewoldt, Gehrig, Kosi, Hamill, Milne & Guerra.
Very good midfield (Harvey, Hayes, Dal Santo, Ball etc)
Solid backline.
They were definitely a genuine contender imo.

Went into 05 as premiership favourites and were favourites to beat Sydney in that prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port were the best team from 2002-2004, didn't lose to Brisbane at the MCG once. If they didn't choke in 2001, 2002 and 2003, they may well have played off with Brisbane in 4 straight Grand Finals, and probably would of won at least one more.
Can't see Port getting within 5 goals of Brisbane at their peak.

Port Adelaide without question. Should have won 3 flags in their period of dominance.

It has to be Essendon of 2000. People were talking about them being the greatest team of all time yet they only have one premiership to their name and that was against very poor opposition, who knows what would of happened if they came up against anyone half decent.

It has to be Essendon of 2000. People were talking about them being the greatest team of all time yet they only have one premiership to their name and that was against very poor opposition, who knows what would of happened if they came up against anyone half decent.
24-1, include the night series and it jumps to 28-1, 99.99% of opposition was dealt with.

24-1, include the night series and it jumps to 28-1, 99.99% of opposition was dealt with.
Ty for contributing to my point, winning 3 premierships in a window has become the norm, for the supposedly goat team to only win one has to be the biggest underachievement in AFL history.

Ty for contributing to my point, winning 3 premierships in a window has become the norm, for the supposedly goat team to only win one has to be the biggest underachievement in AFL history.
99 was thrown away, 01 debateable. Stk had 2 sitting there waiting for them, fair effort to throw those two away. 2000 was probably the greatest one off season of all time.

Back